Please help! Beginner, clones not rooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robrob075

Reaction score
I am a first time grower, growing for medical purposes. I have an aeroflo type hydroponic system. I got several clones from my bro in law and he put them in rockwool and used olivias cloning gel. He told me that when I get home to put them into my system and just use water. So I did this and it has been 2 weeks since I did so. They have been in rockwool cubes in 3.5in net pot in the aeroponic system and have been saturated from that water I figured tere should be roots by now so I looked by pulling rockwool apart gently and come to find out there are no roots. I proceeded to check the rest and same issue. The clones are all still alive but most of them look pretty bad with yellow leave and some look wilted but dark in color. Two of the stems at the very end are curling up. What do I do and is it too late. For now I put them in neoprene inserts and just have them suspended in the spray without rockwool. Please help. Can they still grow roots at this point? 2 weeks no roots what do I do?

They are in plain water in my aeroflo type hydro system suspended without growing medium now as I removed all rockwool because I thought they were getting too much water and no oxygen. I added about 5 drops of super thrive in a 10 gallon Rez. The temp I'm room is 75 degrees and the water temp is 72 degrees. The light is a 400w mh with a 6 in fan and air cooled hood. Cool to touch on glass and 3 layers of white tissue paper to reduce light intensity. Humidity is 45 to 50% rh. The waters ph is 5.9 and ppm is 180 from tap water that I used a pur filter and le it sit for 2 days before I put clones in system. Can someone help?? Will they still grow roots at this point?
Lights are 18/6

go with flourecsents,24hrs. you did right by taking them out of the rockwool,that was keeping them too wet. keep them in the neo inserts and just wait, they will pop. 2-3 weeks,1-2 more weeks they'll be 2 or 3ft long roots. just tap water works. 300ppm and under

shouldnt saturate them in h2o and make the final cut under water, too late for this now, give it a shot with the inserts but try get some new clones to have a bigger chance as they might fail to root now IMO

The cuttings will root with what you've done now. It may take a couple more weeks or even longer, if you don't use any rooting hormones.

I use K-L-N rooting hormone/anti-fungal at one teaspoon per/gallon of water in an aeroponic system. Within two weeks, I always have lots of roots. You may want to purchase and use some. Your light is overkill. I use a 150 watt HPS over mine and they love it.

Also, the cuttings don't need many leaves. After reading this in a book and trying it, I always trim off all but a few smaller leaves when rooting. If there are too many leaves, the plant uses it's energy to support the leaves instead of making roots. Both will work, but less leaves will work better.

i think humidity plays a big role in cloning --- during the summer i can clone easily --- but during the winter i could not

Thanks everyone. Sounds like they still have a chance. Ill just give it some time. I have some 5in net pots I just put over them to cut back some of the light back. I'm hoping that will be better.

a few weeks to get roots? Something needs fixed. 3-4 weeks after I take the clip Im ready for flower. IMO. the light on the roots is not good. I would like to see a pic of this if I may

Hello Rob, until you see roots your temp should be at 80. Humidity at least 80%. I cloned in rockwool for years and the bro may not have squeezed out excess water before inserting clones, which is very important when cloning with rockwool. In cloning I find temp and humidity much more important than method/medium. You can keep your fingers crossed but you may wanna get some more coming.

Latest posts

Back