Please take a look at my first offspring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked the pH and it's about 6.0, give or take 🤔

Serious talk: should I cut anything? There's still a few weeks to go and there's a lot of shoots that are probably absorbing too much energy. I just don't want to shock the plants. The height from soil to tip is about 120cm / 47".

I'd appreciate it if somebody could confirm that the risk is worth the payoff. Maybe save the pics and mark the parts I can safely remove? The big yellow leaf in pic 3 looks completely redundant, but that's just an example.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    806.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    898 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 0
Your plants look like the have plenty of breathing room. You could for sure remove everything from the bottom that has grown since you lolipopped her. Plus if those long stems on the bottom that are not exposed to the light on top where the bud is will probably not be worth keeping but that’s just my opinion Then look at your plants from the top where the lights are hitting them. Any fan leaves shading budsites should be removed. Also of course remove anything dying. Not sure about your yellow leaves. Are you letting your plants dry out between watering?

Your plants look like the have plenty of breathing room. You could for sure remove everything from the bottom that has grown since you lolipopped her. Plus if those long stems on the bottom that are not exposed to the light on top where the bud is will probably not be worth keeping but that’s just my opinion Then look at your plants from the top where the lights are hitting them. Any fan leaves shading budsites should be removed. Also of course remove anything dying. Not sure about your yellow leaves. Are you letting your plants dry out between watering?

I only pruned a few shoots a week before switching to flower. I never really lollipopped them. Again, my only concern is potential shock.

Let me sum up how I water them (daily):

~700ml per plant
0,7ml/1L pH+
0,5ml/1L CalMag
0,3ml/1L Aptus Fulvic Blast (once a week, but only used it 4 times so far)
0,7ml/1L Atami Bloombastic (two weeks after flipping)

The plant that's not directly under the bulb definitely drinks less. I keep forgetting to lift the pots to check if they're heavy, which is why that one MIGHT be slightly overwatered.

EDIT: I read an ancient thread on another forum made by a guy with a similar problem. My takeaway is that my plants are most likely waterlogged. I'll skip watering tomorrow and check the weight of the pots the day after. It didn't occur to me that they may not need as much water after they stopped growing.

Last edited:
I took those today. The light source was a desk lamp with a 4000K LED bulb. I hope they recover because changing soil would SUCK at this point!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    843.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    525 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    635.1 KB · Views: 0
I took those today. The light source was a desk lamp with a 4000K LED bulb. I hope they recover because changing soil would SUCK at this point!
Definitely do not change the soil at this stage. Even if you get the perfect environment, the leaves with the spots won't recover. It is a pretty common issue in late flower, and from the pics I don't see that many damaged leaves. It can get a lot worse without much of an impact on your harvest.

I usually just remove the ugly leaves so I don't have to look at them. It also makes it easier to see if changing something reduces the leaf problems or makes them worse.

I don't know if watering daily is causing the leaf problems, but my experience is they do better if you give them time to dry out some between waterings. I rarely water more than every three days.

Definitely do not change the soil at this stage. Even if you get the perfect environment, the leaves with the spots won't recover. It is a pretty common issue in late flower, and from the pics I don't see that many damaged leaves. It can get a lot worse without much of an impact on your harvest.

I usually just remove the ugly leaves so I don't have to look at them. It also makes it easier to see if changing something reduces the leaf problems or makes them worse.

I don't know if watering daily is causing the leaf problems, but my experience is they do better if you give them time to dry out some between waterings. I rarely water more than every three days.

Thanks. The plant on the right would drink like crazy during veg. I definitely had to water it every day with at least 700ml. I just never changed that.

So the only real problem is that the spots will limit the amount of light the plant is photosynthesizing? It's just one, by the way. The other one is OK.

Just two weeks until harvest.

A lot of the topmost leaves are dry and curling. Is that just the next stage of the problem I described in earlier posts? More importantly, should I try to do anything about it when there's only 14 days to go?

Everything else looks fine, including the colas. Lots of trichomes on everything. Some of the lower leaves are getting yellow and falling off, but that's normal according to you guys.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    668.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    657.6 KB · Views: 0
I don't know if there is a way to reverse the crispy leaves issue. It seems to progress rapidly once it starts, and the few times I've dealt with it nothing I did slowed it down. They still made it to harvest, though it made trimming a little more tedious. I spend more time making sure none of the crispy parts are left on the buds.

Just as a side note - I already know what I'm going to grow next.

I smoked some Shiva in high school and it was the only strain whose name I learned. I remember asking for the name specifically because I enjoyed it so much (it made me laugh really hard). You have to understand that most people in my country probably don't even know what they're buying for a multitude of reasons.

It will be interesting to experience that high again after all those years.

1 week to go (hypothetically).

I ordered a 60x jeweller's loupe to inspect the trichomes and pistiles. Yet another thing I should've done at least a week ago. Oh well!

I had a laugh at those cheap chinese digital microscopes that boast a staggering 1600x zoom while it's actually in the ballpark of 200x.

(go to 00:35)

I need some advice. I inspected the trichomes and pistils with a 60x loupe and unfortunately the magnification wasn't good enough to determine if the trichomes were clear or milky. Lots of leaves on both plants are getting yellow and falling off.

Pics 1 and 2 are two different angles of the same bud from Plant A (much smaller colas and trichomes in general - probably because it stands further away from the bulb)

Pics 3 and 4 are of two different buds from Plant B (directly under the bulb, drinks a lot more). In pic 3 it looks like there's some extra growth on top, but I'm not sure.

May 10th marks exactly 2 months since flipping. Should I harvest? If I do, I'll have to do both plants at the same time because I don't want to move anything outside the box.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I have one of those Chinese scopes like you ordered above. Did you get it yet? Mine works great for Trichomes. Based on just the color of your pistiles I would say you have about 3 weeks left for maximum potency, but you really need a decent loupe to know for sure.

When you blow up the first three pictures it looks like your trichomes do not have heads on them? - In the fourth picture they do

This is a side branch of mine at the very bottom of the plant basically in the shade.

Attachments

• 5MayB.jpeg
    5MayB.jpeg
    595.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I use a 30x eye loupe and it is plenty strong enough to see the trichomes. I have a cheapo loupe that has a 30 and 60x. The 60x has too much mag for my shaky hands.

I would check your pH in reference to your leaf spotting. You won’t be smoking the sugar or fan leaves so that is less of a concern as far as your buds go but it does mean your plants aren’t getting what they need(which could be pH, rootball getting rootbound, what you are feeding them or maybe something else that I am not thinking of too). As monkey said, you have a couple or few more weeks to go in my estimation. As a member on here who is pretty big is fond of saying, 2 moar weeks and cal-mag.

I have one of those Chinese scopes like you ordered above. Did you get it yet? Mine works great for Trichomes. Based on just the color of your pistiles I would say you have about 3 weeks left for maximum potency, but you really need a decent loupe to know for sure.

When you blow up the first three pictures it looks like your trichomes do not have heads on them? - In the fourth picture they do

This is a side branch of mine at the very bottom of the plant basically in the shade.

I have one of those cheap 30x/60x Chinese pieces of shit (see attachment), which is probably what oldfogey got. I'll grab one of the leaves and take some pictures tomorrow.

As monkey said, you have a couple or few more weeks to go in my estimation. As a member on here who is pretty big is fond of saying, 2 moar weeks and cal-mag.

Two more weeks, huh? Damn. I just hope those dark spots don't start appearing on colas.

Well, I've learned from my mistakes and my next grow will definitely be more by the book. Off the top of my head:

- single big plant instead of two
- seedling under lights from day 1 to avoid stretching
- earlier flipping to keep the plant smaller and shorten the whole grow
- less water after plant reaches max height
- some serious lollipopping to make colas bigger

Attachments

• loupe.jpg
    loupe.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 0
I need some advice. I inspected the trichomes and pistils with a 60x loupe and unfortunately the magnification wasn't good enough to determine if the trichomes were clear or milky. Lots of leaves on both plants are getting yellow and falling off.

Pics 1 and 2 are two different angles of the same bud from Plant A (much smaller colas and trichomes in general - probably because it stands further away from the bulb)

Pics 3 and 4 are of two different buds from Plant B (directly under the bulb, drinks a lot more). In pic 3 it looks like there's some extra growth on top, but I'm not sure.

May 10th marks exactly 2 months since flipping. Should I harvest? If I do, I'll have to do both plants at the same time because I don't want to move anything outside the box.

259CC715-3916-4675-B085-AEC425E53957.jpeg

I have one of those cheap 30x/60x Chinese pieces of shit (see attachment), which is probably what oldfogey got. I'll grab one of the leaves and take some pictures tomorrow.

Two more weeks, huh? Damn. I just hope those dark spots don't start appearing on colas.

Well, I've learned from my mistakes and my next grow will definitely be more by the book. Off the top of my head:

- single big plant instead of two
- seedling under lights from day 1 to avoid stretching
- earlier flipping to keep the plant smaller and shorten the whole grow
- less water after plant reaches max height
- some serious lollipopping to make colas bigger
Yep. That is the one.

Latest posts

Back