Plucking fan leaves off two weeks beofre harvests

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And maybe another way of looking at it is do you really want to stress, injure, or harm your plant in any way in the last two weeks of flower. I personally would say no. Those last two weeks are critical and you want your plant to put every ounce of energy into swelling up those calyxs and producing resin instead of repairing damage done to the plant. Maybe Im just stuborn and set in my ways but I just dont pluck fan leaves. Now if it is small usless leaves near the bottom of the plant that arent quite getting the light penetration I will do a little cleaning up but I do that gradually through flowering and not just hammer it all at once in the last couple weeks.

The real issue is plucking leaves early in flower, the last week will do no harm or help imo.

why do you say that dman? I was thinking the exact opposite:D .

You cant make a hermi stressing a plant with a week to go imo, even if it hermis you would never know, there just isnt enough time.

Thats true but dont you think it will effect other things like resin production?

well maybe, but i think most of the resin is already there the last week, doing anything that late just doesnt have time to cause an issue, but thats just my opinion.

an anxious grower trying to cut asap could get hurt, but a well matured plant is hard to screw up with a week to go.

With all that said i dont ever touch a leaf. LOL.

Directly from Marijuana Botany by Robert Connell Clarke....

Leafing is one of the most misunderstood techniques of drug Cannabis cultivation. In the mind of the cultivator, several reasons exist for removing leaves. Many feel that large shade leaves draw energy from the flowering plant, and therefore the flowering clusters will be smaller. It is felt that by removing the leaves, surplus energy will be available, and large floral clusters will be formed. Also, some feel that inhibitors of flowering, synthesized in the leaves during the long noninductive days of summer, may be stored in the older leaves that were formed during the noninductive photoperiod. Possibly, if these inhibitor-laden leaves are removed, the plant will proceed to flower, and maturation will be accelerated. Large leaves shade the inner portions of the plant, and small atrophied floral clusters may begin to develop if they receive more light.

In actuality, few if any of the theories behind leafing give any indication of validity. Indeed, leafing possibly serves to defeat its original purpose. Large leaves have a definite function in the growth and development of Cannabis. Large leaves serve as photosynthetic factories for the production of sugars and other necessary growth sub stances. They also create shade, but at the same time they are collecting valuable solar energy and producing foods that will be used during the floral development of the plant. Premature removal of leaves may cause stunting, because the potential for photosynthesis is reduced. As these leaves age and lose their ability to carry on photo synthesis they turn chlorotie (yellow) and fall to the ground. In humid areas care is taken to remove the yellow or brown leaves, because they might invite attack by fungus. During chlorosis the plant breaks down substances, such as chlorophylls, and translocates the molecular components to a new growing part of the plant, such as the flowers. Most Cannabis plants begin to lose their larger leaves when they enter the flowering stage, and this trend continues until senescence. It is more efficient for the plant to reuse the energy and various molecular components of existing chlorophyll than to synthesize new chlorophyll at the time of flowering. During flowering this energy is needed to form floral clusters and ripen seeds.

Removing large amounts of leaves may interfere with the metabolic balance of the plant. If this metabolic change occurs too late in the season it could interfere with floral development and delay maturation. If any floral inhibitors are removed, the intended effect of accelerating flowering will probably be counteracted by metabolic upset in the plant. Removal of shade leaves does facilitate more light reaching the center of the plant, but if there is not enough food energy produced in the leaves, the small internal floral clusters will probably not grow any larger. Leaf removal may also cause sex reversal resulting from a metabolic change.

If leaves must be removed, the petiole is cut so that at least an inch remains attached to the stalk. Weaknesses in the limb axis at the node result if the leaves are pulled off at the abscission layer while they are still green. Care is taken to see that the shriveling petiole does not invite fungus attack.

It should be remembered that, regardless of strain or environmental conditions, the plant strives to reproduce, and reproduction is favored by early maturation. This produces a situation where plants are trying to mature and reproduce as fast as possible. Although the purpose of leafing is to speed maturation, disturbing the natural progressive growth of a plant probably interferes with its rapid development.

Cannabis grows largest when provided with plentiful nutrients, sunlight, and water and left alone to grow and mature naturally. It must be remembered that any alteration of the natural life cycle of Cannabis will affect productivity. Imaginative combinations and adaptations of propagation techniques exist, based on specific situations of cultivation. Logical choices are made to direct the natural growth cycle of Cannabis to favor the timely maturation of those products sought by the cultivator, without sacrificing seed or clone production.

e2paradise said:
it is usefull, if you use grow light, it will be a harvest

My word, don't YOU have something constructive to do with your time? Please go away.

e2paradise said:
it is usefull, if you use grow light, it will be a harvest

Almost sounds like if you build it they will come......

Shldn't you be Spamming some other board right now?

stalker-no-spam.jpg

4u2sm0ke said:
Hmmmm...I start stripping the fan leafs the finalweek..and do most the trimming while the plant still standing...then Harvest is chop and hang...just my thaughts

take care and be safe

I like this idea. I wouldn't cut them off until the plant is ready for harvest :icon_smile:.........

Plucking the leaves would decrease photosynthesis which means less energy and food for the plant for maturing correct? I don't see why you would pluck the leaves at all until harvest time.

On my next grow I am going to pluck every single leaf off the plant on the first day of flowering so it will make more room for bigger buds.

maineharvest said:
On my next grow I am going to pluck every single leaf off the plant on the first day of flowering so it will make more room for bigger buds.

:rofl: yeah yeah do it do it, then make a gj :rofl: Ahhhh.....we's so funnay!

:peace:,

7greeneyes:p

maineharvest said:
If you do that, make sure you take pics for us to see the results :rolleyes:

Thats a damm nasty looking critter from hell.

I would say "no." Those last two weeks are critical, you want your plant into production of resin swelling and those calyxs repair damage to the plant, not an ounce of energy. Maybe IM is just stuborn and set in my ways, but I just do not put off the fan leaves.

Latest posts

Back