pond water questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolAsAFan

Reaction score
pro's / con's?
im assuming high in N?
beneficial or detrimental organisms? algaes?
since fish are depleting the water of o2, would it be advisable to bubble the water overnight before using?
thanks in advance...

I would be wary of what the run off is going into the pond. An example a farm field with a lot of fertilizers in the ground washing into the pond, with a build up occurring in the pond

If the pond is stream feed, dig a deep hole up steam that a5 gal bucket will fit in easely. Stack rocks accross the stream up stream of the hole that act as a dam that the water spills over. This flowing water has more O2 less chance of harmful nutes, ferts, bacteria, and viruses. The water over the dam aerates the water as it flows over it.

great point as one side of my pond runs alongside a cornfield. is there any cheap kits to test? all of the plantlife along the fence (seperating the cornfield and pond) and in the pond seem to thrive every year so could this mean that the runoff from the field is not harmful?

CoolAsAFan said:
great point as one side of my pond runs alongside a cornfield. is there any cheap kits to test? all of the plantlife along the fence (seperating the cornfield and pond) and in the pond seem to thrive every year so could this mean that the runoff from the field is not harmful?

PPM meter will give you some idea of the amount of fertilizers in the pond.
What is good for corn could kill mj. Especially if there is a build up of nutes in pond..overdose of nutes.

I use river water and there is quite a change in ppm's after a storm than before. With that being said I have seen no ill effects from using river water plus nutes in my outdoor grows. But a river is different than a pond

The plantlife could adapt to the run off most of the time that plant life is weeds that will grow in the worst conditions.

It is the run off from the field you need to worry about, not if some creek goes thru it. If a creek went thru it , it would be safer to use

you say " would it be beneficial to aerrate the pond water overnight". how would you do this?

why not just lug your water with you?..bb...

Yeahhh i'm not to sure about that I mean thats very well thought out but I dont think its worth it to run and get pond water lmao i'd advise just using normal water or some like filtered bottle water, I dont really like mixzing things or putting chemicals into it to make the buds bigger or stronger because the way i like to think of it when it comes down to it a pot plant is just a regular plant and they dont need chemical inhanced things when they are growing in the wild, I like to keep my things as natural as possable and it hasn't failed me yet. but hey, thats just me.

the pond is 20' from my back door, its our pond...by aerorating the pond water cus of plant/ fish consumption, simply meant throwing in res and bubbling with air pump for 24 hours to replenish any depleted o2 if necessary. the cornfield runoff is really my only concern, i dont think a ppm meter will give a very accurate reading as theres so many disolved solids in that water that you wouldnt be able to contribute any reading to any certain "chemical fert", by testing i was refering to the sort of n-p-k test kits, and if there was a way to distinguish chem compistion. thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back