Pot size: 2's vs 3's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Poet

Reaction score
Fellow Farmers...

An update on my setup: 400w hps which covers 8.36 sq ft,
at correct lumins. A kiddie pool 3' in diameter having 9' sq ft in area.
I usually flower 7-8, 3 gallon pots 'depending on plants size'.
Sometimes I leave the middle open to let more light in if they are big,
{23" is big}

I never really thought about using 2 gallon pots to flower because an experiment I did a couple of years ago showed a 1/3 bigger yield with the 3 gallon pots.
Tonight I substituted 2's and the pool held 13!
In comparing 2's to 3's/ 13 pots compared to 8 would make up for the 1/3rd difference in yield.
Vegging would be much faster, the light being lower would give more lumins,
{no lolly-popping} 5 crops a year rather than 4...

I had 4 left over clones and may flower my Mastodon with the 12,
2 gallon-ers {8 including the 4 extra clones}
Next time... 13, 2 gallon pots.

Of course I'll keep in touch on the matter...

Thank you...

The Poet...♪

I like 5 gallons buckets,,would never use anything smaller than a 3 gallon thats for sure. For my Time and money i want the biggest yield i can get from my girls. By the way whats the pool for,,runoff?

Grass Hopper and Weed Hopper,

With a bigger pool I would need a bigger light and the pool keeps the carpet dry and neat.

Thank you...

The Poet...♪

With 23" plants I would go with 1 gallon pots and fill the pool up.

One thing you will find is that when you have a given size grow space that is covered with an acceptable size light(for that space), you will want a certain amount of plants at a certain size to get the maximum yield. That certain amount and size will vary with different strains. There isn't a "one size fits all" for successful growing of MJ. I personally have found that I like to grow (most hybrid strains) 4 plants to a 4'x4'(1mx1m) space and allow them to get to about 20" from soil/medium top. then use a screen to mostly hold the canopy at that level and support the budding branches.

But I have also found that some of the more branchy(sativa structured) plants can easily be allowed to grow bigger so that fewer can be grown (If necessary AND under scrog) to produce just as much, but can often take a little longer. I have also found that many of the more Indica structured(less branchy and more straight up) need to be allowed to grow their own way, which often means more plants in a given space that are allowed to grow more like SOG or like little Christmas trees.

You will have to be flexible and account for this in your grow to get the best you can out of each strain. This often requires you to grow a strain several times so that you learn best how to optimize the grow to the plants. Optimizing the grow elements TO THE PLANTS is the true key to the veteran growers' success rates. And that comes with experience with any given strain that comes from growing it repeatedly and learning how it likes to grow :)

i have tried both. although i perfer 5 gal felt. staying with 5 gal., i had more product with more plants. PACK EM IN!! IMHO, DUCK

Update:

I thought about it... looked at it a while and went back to 3 gallon pots.
All the plants are the same size, no putting upside down pots under them.
Simpler and easier/cleaner too.

I've 8, 3 gallon pots of Mastodon, one: 14" - and the rest: 18" tall and beautiful in every way.
They love the 'Dynagrow' and l flipped them today.

I am not going to top them but just let them grow big colas.

Looking good...

The Poet...

love to see pics when they get sexy. why no phone, bud??

Latest posts

Back