ppm reading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babymonkey

Reaction score
hi all
ive been reading alot on this site of PPM readings,i think its for checking if your plants are getting the right nutrients..
can someone please confirm ?

im doing hydro at the minute & just wondering if a PPM meter is needed ?

thanks all

Yes ppm tells you how much dissolved solids are in water....also called a tds meter (total dissolved solids)...and it and a ph meter are a great thing to hve for any grow but especially a hydro grow...

Hamster Lewis said:
Yes ppm tells you how much dissolved solids are in water....also called a tds meter (total dissolved solids)...and it and a ph meter are a great thing to hve for any grow but especially a hydro grow...

hi hamster lewis,thanks for reply.

i will have a look for a ppm reader

when you check your water/feed with a ppm reader,is there a certain ppm reading you need to keep the plants healthy ?
also do all strains of plants need diiferent pm readings ?

sorry for the questions,just want to get my head around the PPM readings & how it all works

thanks all

yes there is a certain level every plant likes better at different stages. ppm is used to monitor the amount of dissolved solids in the res. when you knoe what level your strain likes you can then keep it at that level using a ppm meter. you should start plants at low ppm like 200-400 and then increase it gradually.

If you are looking to buy I would check into an EC meter as this would give a better reading then a ppm meter. When working with/using a ppm meter the user needs to know if the meter is a 0.5 conversion or a 0.7 conversion on the mathematical equation they use for the final reading.

pcduck said:
If you are looking to buy I would check into an EC meter as this would give a better reading then a ppm meter. When working with/using a ppm meter the user needs to know if the meter is a 0.5 conversion or a 0.7 conversion on the mathematical equation they use for the final reading.

Thanks pc....never knew that...so EC is an easier meter to use.

When you read an EC reading from a breeder or recommendation it is the same with whatever EC meter you are using. Not so if breeder is using a ppm meter .7 and the grower is using a .5 and neither know it.

hi pc duck

can you check the following link out & let me know if this would do the job
hxxp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLUELAB-TRUNCHEON-EC-CF-PPM-NUTRIENT-METER_W0QQitemZ270400840456QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN?hash=item3ef5256308

That will work, but you might want to look into a combo meter that does EC/tds/ppms and it will also do pH. Some of these combo meters also do temp. When you have a tool that does all 3 it is pretty handy. See link

hXXp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270209329775&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

don't forget to change the XX to tt

Latest posts

Back