ppm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hemp319

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just a quick question...is it best to push the ppm to the max for the plant so long as I don't burn them? In the past I used to replenish my reservoir without adding extra nutes, but I got concerned with over diluting and underfeeding during flower. Right now I have sour diesel feeding at 1900-2000 in week 3.

I personally wouldn't feed that high. Some plant strains can take it that high, especially if the PH isn't just right., but I don't think it is cost effective to feed that high. I do top off my rez with nuted water, and over time it does cause the ppm to rise pretty high, but a good portion of the ppm number is just salt from the nutrient salt in the ferts where the nutrient has been absorbed and left the salt behind. I make sure to flush the system with clean water part way through the flower cycle to eliminate this salt from building up and causing nutrient toxicity(or salt toxicity). Then in the last 10 days before harvest(on my plants) I cut the nutes and just add straight water until harvest and it makes my bud taste cleaner than if I don't cut the nutes. :)

you know hush hygrozyme will help control that excessive salt built up, just sayin! its a lil expensive but in my experience its made a huge difference overall!

That's interesting. I have just started using the Hygrozyme but I didn't know that it will control salt buildup or nutrient toxicity. Even still, I wouldn't feed that high as I think its a waste of nutrients. :)

Well, I personally push my nutes to as high a level I can without getting nute burn. What is happening with your ppms from the time you change the res until you have to top up?

I don't know which of us you are speaking to, but with my nutrients, I never see much fall off of ppm throughout. Regardless of when I check the ppm in my rez, it is either the same or sometimes higher. If I don't check it and just top-up for a couple weeks, each time setting the ppm on the bucket to about 1000ppm, when I do check it, its anywhere from 1400-2500ppm.

That is why I flush it close to half way through flowering. It must be that the nutrients are connected to a salt molecule that is discarded when the plant takes in the nutrient(just guessing though). I was running my nutes up to about 1400ppm but then when I noticed that the ppm never went down, I decided to cut it back to 1000 just to see the difference. It seems to me that they do better at the lower ppm for me.

On my last run in my 4x4 tent, I ran my nutes at the lower level and added the Hygrozyme to each batch of nute solution and had the best harvest ever, right at 20oz, which matches my best harvest for the 5x5 tents as well. :)

Ppm goes down as they feed and the solution evaporate. I now replenish at about 30-50 percent nutes. I used to use only fresh water and didn't add nutes until a res change.

I'm gonna try hydrozyme to my next grow for sure. Right now I simply add hydrogen peroxide at about 2 tsp/gal. That stuff works amazing as well for healthy roots.

hemp319 said:
Ppm goes down as they feed and the solution evaporate. I now replenish at about 30-50 percent nutes. I used to use only fresh water and didn't add nutes until a res change.

If your ppms are going down as they take up water, I personally would increase my ppms.

adding hydrogen peroxide is great as long as your not doing organic grows as it kills bebeficial microbes! but for hydro and chem nutes its a good additive. i use it when I clone to keep nice white healthy roots in my aeroponic cloner.

Latest posts

Back