Question about Fox Farm Nutrients

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vitocorleone

MuscularGermanCyborgJew
Reaction score
Okay, I have a couple questions about Fox Farm nutrients that should be pretty easy for someone that has used them before.....

Can you do flowering with Big Bloom alone or should you use Big Bloom AND Tiger Bloom? Is Big Bloom just one half of what your plants needs? Like how some companies have an "A" part and a "B" part?

The Fox Farm feeding schedule has Big Bloom for the first 4 weeks and then Big Bloom AND Tiger Bloom for the rest of the time...however, I have a friend that only uses Big Bloom and has pretty good results... Does anyone know what the final word is?

AND

I have some Fox Farm brand Grow Big for the veg period but it's Hydroponic Grow Big and not soil Grow Big--- Does anyone know if you can use Hydroponic Grow Big wiith soil?

Alright.........Thank you all so much.... I am so grateful to have a place where I can ask my newbie questions...

Heartfelt Peace and Blessings,
Vito

Hey vitocorleone -

I'm only in my second grow here - pretty much a newbie - but I used the Fox Farm products during my first grow and am using them now in the beginning of my second. I used them according to the feeding schedule (starting at 1/4 strength and working up to full strength of the recommended dosage within 2 weeks or so). I'm not too sure what the Tiger Bloom does for sure, since it's nutrient value isn't very high at all, but I do know that it will bring your pH down, so keep an eye on that. Also, I don't know if you're going totally organic or not, but the Tiger Bloom is not organic.

Everything went great during veg, but I noticed about 2 weeks into flower that the buds that started to show, just sort of stopped getting bigger. I did a lot of on-line reading - that's when I found out about the Tiger Bloom lowering the pH, as the beginning of flower is when people really started to notice it.

What I realized was that using just the concentrated Fox Farm nutes wasn't enough for flower - at least in my opinion. It didn't seem as though they supplied enough phosphorus to really make the buds grow. So, since I wasn't going totally organic, I got the soluble nutes; Beastie Bloomz, Cha-Ching, and the Open Sesame. Boy did that make a difference! Within a day of using the Open Sesame, my buds had almost doubled in size and they were popping up all over. It really seemed to make a difference - at least in my situation. A lot of others will use other nutes in conjunction with the Fox Farm nutes, so it's one of those things that you learn what works for you and your situation.

I hope this helps a little, and I'm sure you'll get quite a few answers from everybody else here who has used them.

Good luck to you!!

I use grow big for veg and big bloom for flower but you could use tiger instead of the big bloom you don`t need both. Slim

im not sure what it is but i use it mid cycle i also use the fox farm additives cha chin open sesame and beatie bloomz really good stuff for soil

The "offical" Fox Farm feeding schedule has Big Bloom, Tiger Bloom, and all those additives (cha-ching, etc.) for the flowering schedule....I'm going to stick to that even though it's not considered organic..... I'll just be sure to flush for an extra week before harvesting... :)) Don't want no chem-bud..............

SO???? Does anyone know????? Can Grow Big Hydroponic version be used with soil? Please!! Someone let me know!!

Thanks for the replies, LTG, socalgirl, and wiked... :)
Peace,
in_VITO_ro

This website sells the Fox Farm Grow Big and at the top of the page it says that all of the nutrients they sell can be used in either soil or hydroponics. Hope that answers your question.

http://www.discount-hydro.com/organicnutrients.asp

I'm waiting on my Fox Farm stuff to come. I ordered this last week. I thought it was a pretty good deal.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fox-Farm-Soil-N...ryZ20540QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I'm anxious to get it and start using it. I hope it is as good as it sounds.

thanks doobie.. :)

You see how on your ebay page it says "These nutrients are not to be used with hydroponics" --- well.....Fox Farm makes a type of Grow Big called Fox Farm Hydroponic Grow Big... it's for Hydroponics :> ...... And this is the rub.... I have some of this hydroponic Grow Big and I'm wondering if it can be used with soil.....

I'm thinking it can.... you'd think that the hydroponic version would be _more refined_ or something so that it doesn't gum up the works --- and it would be fine for soil.... but I don't wanna mess up my plants so I'm waiting for one of the experts to chime in.....
Peace,
Vito

my 2 cents,
Soil or water either way its a growing medium, and it wont matter much, but im not an expert, you might be correct by what you said being the hydro mix is meant to not clog a system.. anyone else?

vitocorleone: From looking at the breakdown of the guaranteed analysis and the total metals in the product, it looks like the hydro Grow Big will work just fine in soil. The only difference that I can really see is that the Hydroponic Grow Big is - like you say more refined. The total metals in the hydro product are lower than the total metals in the soil product - some by a substantial amount. Here are the differences in total metals:

Grow Big for soil Hydroponic Grow Big
(metal in product - measured in ppm's)

<0.063 Arsenic <0.5
.11 Cadmium <0.1
651 Cobalt <0.1
0.0012 Mercury <0.05
0.604 Molybpenum 13.5
<1.5 Nickel <0.1
<5 Lead 1.4
<0.05 Selenium <5.5
701 Zinc 279.4

I found this info on the Washington State Agriculture page - I've since found similar info on my home state page of California. For any state that is selling these fertilizers, that state's Department of Agriculture should have Fertilizer Product Information sheets for them. It's pretty useful information, since the fertilizer bottles don't exactly tell you what the metal fvalues are. Here's the link for the Washington state page, if you're interested. It'll help you know what to search for in your own state too.

http://.agr.wa.gov/PestFert/Fertilizers

Then search the Fertilizer Database for your product. The Registrant for the Fox Farm products is United Compost & Organics.

Good luck - I hope this helps!!

Thanks Socal.... :)

I'll think we're probably right-- Fox Farm's Grow Big for Hydro is probably just a smoother more refined version of Grow Big for Soil..... However, I'm not willing to risk my babies on this one... I'll probably do a hydro setup one of these days so I'll find an use for the stuff...

Thanks for the replies everyone...I really appreciate it....

Peace,
Vito

Your hydro person should be able to tell you for sure, but I certainly understand your hesitancy.

Good luck vitocorleone!

you can try doing a 1/4 dose and see if they react to it, then bring your dosage up.. if they react, you an always flush

Latest posts

Back