Questions from a n00b

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J3123MY

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the forum, but chose to post at this forum because you guys seem to be the most knowledgeable and directly geared toward growing. I am new to growing, I have germinated a few seeds before and grew them kinda small, but about a couple days ago, I picked up 3 clones. I have one sour diesel on cocoa and two master bubba kush on rock wool.

So I set it up with three 120 watt fluorescent "plant" bulbs. I have an oscillating fan blowing on it and another miniture fan blowing up ward. The temperature is around eighty degrees. So the other day, when I was adding two of the three 120 watt fluorescent bulbs, I let the bulbs touch the plant for too long damaging basically a leaf on each plant. I cut the leaves that seemed damaged pretty badly off. So on my master bubba kush #2, there appears to be a leaf that is fairly damaged, as you can see in the picture. Also, some of the fan leaves at the tip is turning yellow. On my master bubba kush 1, I am giving it LST, and I also just recently topped it. However on one of the fan leaves at the tip, it is For my Sour diesal, it also has a slight damage from when I added the bulbs. On the sour diesal, I also fimmed it on one of the new leaves.

So basically my questions:

1. Due to my light set up, If i place the fluorescent bulbs lower the temperature will get ridiculously hot. Since my lights are so high up, will my plants stretch? Would it be better to just run one light closer, or three lights higher?

2. What should are the problems with some of the leaves of my plants, and what would be the best course of action?

3. I also "EDIT! up last night and forgot to turn on the light, so I randomly gave my plants 12 hours of night. Was this a bad screw up?

4. Is mirror a good reflective device, or would it be better to line it with white paper?

5. Can a fan be too strong? What is too strong?

6. Am I doing ok, or am I ******* up?

7. Is eighty degrees a good temp?

8. By leaving a small body of water will that increase the humidity?

9. I have about 8 quarter inch holes on the bottom, Is that enough to drain?

setup.JPG

setup (2).JPG

setup (3).JPG

Master Bubba Kush 1 (1).JPG

Master Bubba Kush 1 (2).JPG

Master Bubba Kush 1 (3).JPG

Master Bubba Kush 1.JPG

Master Bubba Kush 2.JPG

Master Bubba Kush 2 (2).JPG

Master Bubba Kush 2 (3).JPG

Master Bubba Kush 2 (4).JPG

Sour Diesal.JPG

Your lights are not "120 watt" look at the actual rating, "equivalent to" means nothing in the grow. CFLs need to be inches away - your grow is not going to work with that setup. Looks to me as if your plants are dying through lack of light and at the same time being burnt by overnute.
Please please please! Read the stickies! It's all in there.

1. Those bulbs look like heat lamps to me for some reason. You could use some spiral flourescents and put the reflectors back on your brooder lights.
There are alot of growers here who use the spiral bulbs.

2. I'm seeing both nute burn and damage from the lights.
If you use some spirals-you'll be able to get them closer.
You should be able to put your hand between the plant and the light and hold it for a few minutes without it feeling too hot.
Give the plants clear water that is properly ph adjusted.

3. It's happened to me in early veg stage-It'll be alright-but you should have a timer.

4. Look through some grow journals where the grower produces a good crop-Let me know if you see any mirrors.

5. A circulator fan should just be a gentle breeze-just enough to barely see leaves move. You will need intake and exhaust fans also.

6. Well, yeah you're kinda *****'d up, BUT, if you do some more looking around on this site, you'll find the info you need to get un-*****'d.
None of us started out perfect.

7. Kinda high-but different strains like different temps.

8. yes it will, but not enough In my book. Changing your bulbs should help.

9. Sounds like enough to me but I have'nt worked with coco.

Please take some time to do some looking around on this forum. Alot of the "stickies" are very useful info and were created by existing members to help people just like you.
Latah.
:)
Gb

your plants need watered, you don't want to let coco dry out like you do with soil.

Yeah I think those lights are not for growing...looks like you are providing not enough usable light and too much heat from the lights you hve...get some cfl's if you can't get an HPS or MH light set up...

Hey bud. Just my opinion those, if those are what i think aren't going to work. You need the cfl spirals without the flood light covering. I'm using the same mediums, the drainholes are fine. A good fan will do don't go crazy and get a breeze-o-matic that blows gusts up to 40mph. A circular fan will do. You wan't a gentle breeze flowing around your ladies to get that strong stem. I keep tems at 80 myself and water evry 24hrs, a good test is ti stick your finger in the soil about a half inch if its dry give em some water. One night of 12/12 won't hurt. If your walls are white don't do anything! If you gotta check into mylar or panda film. Mirrors are good fer looking at your mug with and eating up your light waves. I run cfl's on every grow i've done to date with very good results! First rule of thumb...or hand. Put your hand on the top of your plants with the cfl's over them. If it's too hot for the back of your hand your ladies will burn up! Keep an eye on those temps and good luck!

Thanks you guys for your help. I was about to get the t5 light, but then the guy at the hardware store recommended this light to grow marijuana indoors. However, he said he only grew outdoors, so i guess he didn't know that much about lighting. But here is my new set up.

So I have several more questions. What should I do with the leaves that are DAMAGED?

And also, would it be better to run three 3 ft t5 21 watt light fixture that hold two bulbs are two 4 ft t5 28 watt light fixtures with two bulbs?

Will theDAMAGED parts ot my leaves recover?

new setup.JPG

sounds like you need quite a bit of reading guy. you may wanna start at the rules. yeah. we don't allow cursing here. go back, and erase the curse words, and reword what you need to say without the swearing. that needs to be your first order of buisness here on MP...

if cursing is a thing you gotta speak with every sentence, your in the wrong place. so please clean up the vulgarities, and do some reading...if you truly want to grow, there is much research you'll need to do on growing techniques, and styles, and nute disorders, and ventilation, and flowering periods, and lighting, and odor control, and what soils to use, and not to use, and general grow stuff...

but the first thing we want you to do, is remove the cursing. we have women aboard. this is'nt a naval command batallion...

J3123MY said:
but then the guy at the hardware store recommended this light to grow marijuana indoors. However, he said he only grew outdoors,

:holysheep:

Look into the high output T5's. and your going to want as many bulbs as you can fit in your area. for instance I orderd a 2' 4 bulb HO T5 for a 1 1/2'x3' space it will just fit in my space with maybe a few inches on each side. If I would have had more room, I would have went with the 6 bulb or 8 bulb but they would have been too wide for my application. I think the High Output are 54 watts...but I can't remember for sure...maybe 37w...heck I can't remember...lol

Like Irish said, keep it clean in here, pretend your grandma is in the room. I'm sure you will be able to convey your message without swearing...it's really just very simple rules.

ok so here is my new set up. Thanks for the help. Funny thing is my grandma cusses, but its your forums and your rules so i will reduce the cussing.

Alright so i fixed up my light setup some more and here it is. I also got a timer as well running it 19/5.

The pH of my soil got pretty high on one of the plants, so i completely removed the soil and flushed the rockwool out. For my other plants, I added vinegar to the water to lower the pH. I lowered it about probably .5 on the pH scale. is that too much too fast?

And also, the light green leaf. Is that nitrogen deficiency?

And are my new leaves coming out right?

Thanks for the help.

newer setup (1).JPG

newer setup (5).JPG

fan leaf N.JPG

newer setup (4).JPG

If your pH is not dialed in your plants will show all kinds of deficiencies, because any nutrients in the soil are locked out. You need to get a good pH pen, and some pH adjusters from either a hydro store, or a pet store, or a pool supply place. Until you get your pH right you will continue to have problems.

...its like this:

Start over fresh, get better lights.
Water twice as much with half as much nutes.

You are looking at a whole lot of work for a small payoff.

No i mean I lowered it about .5 from 7.5. so right now its about 7, which is still a little high. I was just wondering if that was a big drop, the .5.

jo!
they not look the greatest!
mayby like some said find more info be4 you start again coz i cant see this plants making up wery vell.
i think good way to lern is to do outside grow thirst, not so much money needed and u will see a lot,and learn.
mayby im wrong
good luck anyway

Latest posts

Back