Quick DWC bucket question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2small

Reaction score
I'm building some dwc buckets. I just picked up net pots that are also a lid for a 5 gallon bucket. I don't have to cut a lid and fit the net pot, the pot is the lid. Anyway, do I want to make a hole for the air stone tubing go through the lid or the bucket? Which way would be better for changing nutes?

I make the hole in the bucket at the top....

I think I will drill a hole in the lid. So Once the roots rap around the air stone I will be able to keep it as one piece when I change nutes. Just remove the bucket and keep everything else together.

deff top and you can always add a drainage system at the bottom. But your prob on a budget and its not really needed.

2small said:
I think I will drill a hole in the lid. So Once the roots rap around the air stone I will be able to keep it as one piece when I change nutes. Just remove the bucket and keep everything else together.

Aren't you going to attach your airstones and/or airline to the bottom of the bucket somehow so the airstones don't float around (and get tangled in the roots?

I drill holes near the top of the bucket. When I do a nute change-out, I also change the airlines and airstones. I can then just lift the bucket lid off one bucket and put it on the new one. Any old nute solution is used to water house and outside plants. The bucket, airlines, and airstones are cleaned for the next changeout.

Latest posts

Back