quick indoor light question..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dyannas son

Reaction score
how much wld a 400 watt lamp add to my power bill every month ??
im thnking like 50 bucks or so is tht even some wht close ??

depends on how much per kilowat yur bein charged.
have you checked out the 'stickeys' at the top of the lighting forum?

Mine is .07 cents a kwh at 400 w on 12/12 for 30 days is 144000 watts used. divide watts use by 1000 (kwh) and I use 144 kwh's. 144 * .07 is 11.52 a month. Also need to add in a bit for fees and trans cost and whatever other charges they seem to come up with, so I figure it cost me in the neighborhood of $15 a month to run a 400.

it would probably be less than 50$, i live somewhere considered to be pricey energy and it costs me less than that, however add up all the things you put with your room like fans vegging fluros pumps bubblers heaters dehumidifier... it would probably be close to what that 400 costs you so you should add everything when you wana know the cost. get a reciept from an older bill they usually have the price/KW they charge you ;)

find what your power company charges per KWH and you can do the math pretty easily.

A 400w adds about 30 $ on my bill on 18/6 for veg.

25$ or so when they are on 12/12.

Replacing old light bulbs with CFL's will help to offset some of the wattage.

Replace 5 100w incandescent lights with 25 w cfl's and you go from 500w to 125. Saving 375w in power and eliminating ANY rise other than maybe 10$ or so here or there dependant on how good you are at keeping lights off when not in use.

Think outside the box.

40$ in cfl's could save you 40$ a month for the next umpteen years. I have YET to ever replace 1 cfl bulb in my house. I took the same bulbs from my old home to my new place because they were still good!

I bought the bulbs 4 years ago.

The savings on my bill is about 100$ a month since my whole house uses them. Multiply that by 48 months which is how long I have had them... you see that I saved 4800$.

Paying for the bulbs and quite a few ounces of bud.

Wake&Bake....thats some solid advice. I keep meaning to change out all my light bulbs, and always forget ....thanks for the reminder of how much I could save myself! I have got to get this done!

My 400 alone cost about 20 bucks extra a month, now I'm running 1000w of light, plus my veg cab light (t5 floro) plus fans, sometimes a dehumidifier, and this month was about 80 bucks higher than normal.

cfl's in my housing lights would really help though...thanks again for the reminder!

Latest posts

Back