quickest way to tell sex ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hamster Lewis said:
I wld be interested in knowing where you heard or read that....as far as I know clones are genetically identical to the donor plant....where wld these new phenos come from?

i got the info from another member on MP.. it confused me at the time and still does a lil.. i thought a clone was a clone... if the info is wrong its wrong.. just passing on what i was told.. as far as sexing goes though.. its way easier to sex the clone then the whole plant.. 10 days vs a flowering period..
LH

as far as sexing goes though.. its way easier to sex the clone then the whole plant.. 10 days vs a flowering period..
LH
????.. the cuttinga are exactly the same 'maturity' as the donor, the "time" involved shouldn't be any different in order to determine sex. Flowering cycle will, too, remain identical.. IME

loolagigi said:
im confused....if i take a cutting from a plant it will have diff phenos? i always thought its genetically indenticle?
???

how does "preflowers tells you nothing" ???...every time i see the little tube, 2 white hairs grow out of them and they turn out to be female ..i'm i just lucky ??? or am i really throwing away potential females ?

Hick said:
????.. the cuttinga are exactly the same 'maturity' as the donor, the "time" involved shouldn't be any different in order to determine sex. Flowering cycle will, too, remain identical.. IME

I am saying it takes you 2 months to flower a host .. in a certain amount of time it will show male or female..
now instead of floering the whole plant you can do a cutting of the plant instead.. and in 10 days it will show you the sex of that plan... its an alternative to not flowering a whole plant to find out if its a fem or male..
like theres more ways to skin a cat..
LH

you can do a cutting of the plant instead.. and in 10 days it will show you the sex of that plan.
as will the plant from seed... "show sex" in exactly the same number of days as a cutting taken from it.. "THEN" you save a labled clone for your donor/mother, while the plant from seed is flowering for the two months.
"tit-for-tat" or another skunned cat :p

Hick said:
as will the plant from seed... "show sex" in exactly the same number of days as a cutting taken from it.. "THEN" you save a labled clone for your donor/mother, while the plant from seed is flowering for the two months.
"tit-for-tat" or another skunned cat :p

im saying instead of flowering the whole plant.. me and like others dont have the room or set up to be flowering dirt plants as im a water man..
so for me to take a cutting and "flower/sex" it is way easier and a less of a PITA to do.. the cutting can be put anywheres vs the flowering plant needs growing conditions..
LH

PUFF MONKEY said:
how does "preflowers tells you nothing" ???...every time i see the little tube, 2 white hairs grow out of them and they turn out to be female ..i'm i just lucky ??? or am i really throwing away potential females ?
could someone elaborate on this ???? this is news to me...

dirt or water has no relevance...
what do you do with the plant from seed?.. you don't cull it do you?..
keeping a clone restricted, in a smaller area, is "IMO" easier than trying to keep a 4-6 week old plant from seed small.
I'm not tying to change your opinion, or your procedure. Just questioning the logic.

Hick said:
dirt or water has no relevance...
what do you do with the plant from seed?.. you don't cull it do you?..
keeping a clone restricted, in a smaller area, is "IMO" easier than trying to keep a 4-6 week old plant from seed small.
I'm not tying to change your opinion, or your procedure. Just questioning the logic.

ohhhh NOOO you belittling me.. lol...

no serious i totaly hear what your saying.. i just recently bout a new tent to hold my host in... b4 that i had/have a small Mother box.. with a cloning station up top.. started them up top and moved them under the fluors in my bedroom closet.. so i dont/didnt have the extra room to flower a bunch of plants like i do now.. when the tent is full of hydro she aint gonna be moved till harvest.. the logic behind it all is sometime in the right conditions its easier to not flower the intended host..
LH

please folks...explain why preflowers are not a solid indication of sex...if my method is flawed, i'd like to correct it.

PUFF MONKEY said:
please folks...explain why preflowers are not a solid indication of sex...if my method is flawed, i'd like to correct it.

i think they were talking about before its sexually mature.. i have always gone by alternating nodes to cloning to 12/12 an wait to see if any pistils pop out.. i have always gone by the pistils..
alot of people think or dont know about plant maturity and just go from the "preflowers" ohh oh that looks fem they clone it and it ends up male.. sometimes its hard to tell if thats looks like a fem or male.. till the actual truth of 12/12 of a cutting/plant at ssexual maturity..
which you know all about,so keep up your method..
LH

but if it has pistles it's a girl right ?....cause thats what i go by...once the nodes alternate, i look at the preflowers(about 4 weeks in) and if they have little tube or tubes with hairs growing out of them i'll take clones...if not, i throw them away...

PUFF MONKEY said:
but if it has pistles it's a girl right ?....cause thats what i go by...once the nodes alternate, i look at the preflowers(about 4 weeks in) and if they have little tube or tubes with hairs growing out of them i'll take clones...if not, i throw them away...

pistals=female... maybe it could be a hermi.. but i take that as well as a female..
now if you dont get pistils but no balls, do you throw em out or do you 12/12 a cutting or the plant.. you could be throwing away a potential fem.. just a late shower.. ive had a few plants show there sex in veg.. but to be 100% sure ive always 12/12 a cuting for 10 days or so.. every now and a again its the whole pant providing room is available..
hope this helps some..
LH

LEFTHAND said:
I am saying it takes you 2 months to flower a host .. in a certain amount of time it will show male or female..
now instead of floering the whole plant you can do a cutting of the plant instead.. and in 10 days it will show you the sex of that plan... its an alternative to not flowering a whole plant to find out if its a fem or male..
like theres more ways to skin a cat..
LH

it take 2 moths too flower yes but less then 7 days somtimes to show sex,

Latest posts

Back