Raccoon Killing Time!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like you kind people to know I will not be shooting or paintballing any dogs. I have been putting up with the dog crap, and do miss the deer grazing near my home, for years now. They are my nieghbors and there will be no fued over something like this. I live in the woods, You would think the dogs could find a place away from the house. Mostly they do.

I live with animals and enjoy the heck out of them, these animals all have ticks and fleas. They are wild. When in a pinch in my life I have eaten poached deer, easier to eat than poached eggs.

I do not leave out garbage for the racoons or bears. I do not put out a salt lick for the deer (I have thot of it tho, but the dogs would have a heyday). I dont build ponds and stock them with fish and expect wild animals to leave those fish alone. I grow my plants, mind my own business, and expect the same treatment from humans. I also enjoy the owls near my home, but would have rathered all the spotted owl were dead everywhere, as the childern here are hurt by less money for schools because of less timber sales on government lands. Kids should come before owls.

I am not a tree hugger, tho there are some trees on the California Coast that should be preserved in my opinion. Things are never black or white, life is more shades of grey.

I really like this forum and threads like these are one reason why. Diversity.

Nice post TC-

But I didn't take the "cracker" comment you mentioned in your previous post as offensive- some of the other comments perhaps, but cracker didn't bother me.

tcbud said:
I would like you kind people to know I will not be shooting or paintballing any dogs. I have been putting up with the dog crap, and do miss the deer grazing near my home, for years now. They are my nieghbors and there will be no fued over something like this. I live in the woods, You would think the dogs could find a place away from the house. Mostly they do.

I live with animals and enjoy the heck out of them, these animals all have ticks and fleas. They are wild. When in a pinch in my life I have eaten poached deer, easier to eat than poached eggs.

I do not leave out garbage for the racoons or bears. I do not put out a salt lick for the deer (I have thot of it tho, but the dogs would have a heyday). I dont build ponds and stock them with fish and expect wild animals to leave those fish alone. I grow my plants, mind my own business, and expect the same treatment from humans. I also enjoy the owls near my home, but would have rathered all the spotted owl were dead everywhere, as the childern here are hurt by less money for schools because of less timber sales on government lands. Kids should come before owls.

I am not a tree hugger, tho there are some trees on the California Coast that should be preserved in my opinion. Things are never black or white, life is more shades of grey.

I really like this forum and threads like these are one reason why. Diversity.

great post tc, I think we're in total agreement ;) ....and to elaborate on my "paintball" post, I caught one of these dogs (a BIG St bernard no less) exiting "my" chicken coop, with one of "my" chickens in his mouth.
I contacted my local deputy. He informed me that I was perfectly within my rights to shoot and kill "any" threat to my animals or personal property. IMO.. as a farmer/rancher, "animal lover", it is not only my 'right', but my duty to protect 'my' domestic animals.
Now, I know the ppl that own the dogs. I kow some have children and these are their 'pets'. I would never want to injure or kill any kids pet, and that is exactly what I told the deputy. But you know what?.. after sending only two home with paintball on them, the problem ceased! I didn't have the unsavory chore of killing anything, or "seeing" my personal property destroyed.
The same ppl that condemn the dog, coyote, wolfe, bear, 'coon, ect.(predator) shooting, would also be the first to condemn me if I were not feeding, watering, or otherwise "taking care" of them properly as abuse.
I live with, and have lived with wild animals for the better part of 50+ years. I feel that gives me at least, some sembelance of authority to speak of my experience. I'm an avid hunter and have been for 40 years. As such, "I" am most concerned with the welfare of wild animals. I buy in excess of $300 worth of liscences every year. THAT money goes directly to supporting wildlife. Over that time frame, I have given in the neighborhood of 12 thousand dollars toward the maintenance and control of our wildlife. Our DOW recieves $0 from the 'general fund'.(no taxpayer funds) It is funded primarily by the purchase of liscences.
Without naming names or pointing fingers, I wonder if any of the complaining crowd have given so much as 12 dolllars in that time.
Nearlly all of my neighbors have bear problems. They have bird feeders, hummingbird feeders, corn for the turkeys(btw is also illegal). They put their garbage out, they leave pet food out. Yet they call the division of wildlife to complain..and ask for $$ as reparation. :confused2:... DOW then spends my monies, to trap and relocate the bear "when" possible.
"I" don't have those problems. But "I" don't bait them. On the rare occasion that a "conditioned" bear enters my domain, I use tactics that makes it an.. unpleasant.. experience. In the words of a wise old DOW officer.."A fed bear is a dead bear".
We have had at least 3 incidents of bears entering homes this year already, while ppl and their kids were present!.. There is nothing "natural" about that. Those bears have become 'conditioned'. Accustomed to human presents, AND associate it with food. It isn't the bears fault. It is the people's...

Possums? Possums? Tell 'em about our possums, Art. We got possums on the half shell here that are stupider than the original shell-less version. When they roll up like a rolly-poly, you just chunk them over the fence into the neighbor's yard.

HippyInEngland said:
I have never heard of the term 'Cracker' before so googled it.

Tut.

:peace:
hie.. after exchanging a pm w/ lass', I believe we misinterpreted her use of the word as a racial slur. I don't think it was intended such.
and for that, I have apologized there, and will again here.

A cracker can be a Georgian (Georgia Cracker). A cracker can be a Floridian (Florida Cracker). There's all sorts of nonsense about the origin of the term. Bet your axe it wasn't from them "cracking whips to drive the oxen or mules along as most will try to convince you--poor arsed crackers couldn't afford shoes, let alone oxen or mules.

The best and most believable I've heard is that it was from a similar sounding Cherokee or Creek word that meant something along the lines of: something-white-that crawled-out-from-under-a-rock. I got this from an old half Cherokee/half Seminole who I worked with in Savannah who could also pull your leg if you didn't watch out, so IDK for sure.

I do know this: it is definitely a racial slur used to describe poor white Southerners, as is the term 'white trash.' Just like the N word, if you ain't one, you can't use it even being cute. But, hey, that's no worse than saying I never met anyone from NJ that wasn't an A-hole, or saying everyone I've ever met from Arkansas was a pecker-wood, or that island people smell funny. Bigotry uses many faces and voices as does predjudice and stereotypification.

But, I'm a cracker with a considerable amount of native blood and, being a Southerner for about 400 years back, I'm sure I'm toting my share of Black blood. I have extremely tough skin, but if I hear you call anyone a cracker, a spic, a red-skin, a dago, a chink or an N, I'm gonna walk off and never speak to your ignorant arse again, so long as we both shall live.

If you aren't the one targeted and insulted, why would you think that using these terms is okay, cracker?

It is always hard for City folk to understand wild animals, when they have had absolutely no experience with them. I pay my licence fees too, the husband gets a deer tag each year, and I for one hope he comes home empty handed. Mostly because I dont care to eat deer meat.

I was taught if you kill an animal, you are to clean it and eat it. So the killing is something I have avoided, till the Bass fishing bug bit me. Not because killing game is inhumane. When fishing, I have a deal with the husband, I dont have to touch the slimy buggers (I graded salmon for a few summers on a fish processor in Alaska and have had a lifetime of slime, thank you), I dont have to clean them, and I dont have to cook them. I do eat them with lemon tho.
I have a funny story for you Hick, about dogs.
Back in the seventies, we had a real "hardass" type sherriff up here. He was a law unto his self. He personally kept the "hippies" out of the county for years (I have nothing against "hippies", I have long hair myself). Anyhow, a friend of mine who lived right on the edge of town, in a new house, had stock. Cows, chicken, turkeys, all around his home. Three dogs kept comming up to his place and were terrorizing his stock. This went on till he thot to talk to the Serriff. Our Sherrif told him to shoot the dogs next time they ran his stock. My friend killed all three dogs. Turns out the dogs belonged to the Sherriff, one had made it home to die. Sherriff was pretty pissed. Couldnt charge him with property damage, as their were witnesses to his words to kill the dogs. My friend got a ticket for shooting a fire arm in city limits. We have no "city limits" here, then or now.
I agree with you bout "bait". We used to have tired old bears up here at the dump all the time, that were relocated. Our trash now is actually locked up at night, and I mean the Counties thrash, the whole building full of trash is locked down every night! I saw two this year now, one dead on the road, and one live with a tag out by the lake. They are beautiful, but not an animal I want to mess with.
I was also pretty high when I wrote that post about bigetry. I am glad to hear Lass didnt mean it the way it sounded. Thanks for being a good mod.

PencilHead said:
Possums? Possums? Tell 'em about our possums, Art. We got possums on the half shell here that are stupider than the original shell-less version. When they roll up like a rolly-poly, you just chunk them over the fence into the neighbor's yard.
opossum.jpg

Opossum Info: Opossums are the only North American marsupials. The females of this group have a pouch on the belly where the young are carried and nourished for a time after their birth. Opossums are 2-3 feet long including the naked scaley tail, and weigh 8-14 pounds as adults. They live in a variety of habitats. The are nocturnal animals. Opossums are omnivores, and will eat almost anything, including insects, snails, rodents, berries, fruit, grasses, leaves, carrion, pet food, and garbage. They prefer meat to vegetables.

Biology: Opossums have many unusual physical features. As stated, they are marsupials. The females have 13 nipples upon which the young cling, as they grow in the pouch. As they get older, they push each other off until about four are left, then they leave on their own. They are famous for their prehensile tail, which they use for balance and grasping, and can occasionally hang from, though this is rare. They are also known for "playing possum", a defense tactic of mimicking death when frightened. They have opposable thumbs, and are excellent climbers. They usually only live 2-3 years, even as adults. The males have a bifurcated penis, which led to a myth about them copulating through the nose. They have 50 teeth, which is the most of any mammal, except for some killer whales, I'm told. They have incredible immune systems and are low on intelligence compared to other mammals.

Nuisance concerns:
Opossums are prolific breeders, and need places to live. Oftentimes human structures, such as the undersides of porches and sheds provide ideal habitat. Opossums can raid garbage cans and steal pet food. They can also carry parasites and diseases, although rabies incidents are much less frequent than in other animals, such as raccoons. I often encounter opossums living in attics, where they make a terrible mess with their droppings, and a lot of noise. Opossums are also the most common dead animal that I deal with, because they don't live long in the wild, and tend to die under homes and in attics.

mrkingford said:
Lasschance;

I respect all wildlife, as a matter of fact, i am a member of National Wildlife and contribute each year at LEAST once.
But, in the bible, god does say man has control over beasts and such................if i pay for my land, i can do with it as i please.
i don't go into their place of habitat and disturb them.
What's good for the goose..................................

Mr K--
Belonging to the Wildlife Association and sending a check once a year seems contradictory to your enthusiasm for gathering your gear to kill your own maurading raccoon. Your wife, evidently a spiritual person, said straight up it was "mean". That didnt matter to you--only the possibility of the cops showing up stopped you. Here's the important thing, the Thinga Importanta as you might say, Mr K--it IS mean. That a man armed with a gun can kill a raccon is no big surprise. And nothing to be proud of. Id pay money to see you or Effin Gee armed with a jacknife taking a full grown male raccoon on.
No chance of that, eh? Nah...you might get hurt! Better to hide in the bush and aim thru a scope...

You "dont go into their place of habitat and disturb them..."...pardon me? You bought land...and somehow believe the wildlife who lived on that land since the beginning of time are supposed to know it's "your" land now? I suggest you ARE living on THEIR land and it might behoove you to live in peace with them.

"In the Bible. god does say"..:? Im sixty years of age and frankly, I doubt I will live enough years to point out to you, chapter and verse, every stupid, absurd, false, ridiculous statement in the bible. However, if you are able/willing to buy that your Main Man was born of a virgin, raised the dead and cured lepers, ler alone that he rose from the dead himself... then I imagine believing man has "dominion" over animals was an easy one. The book you quoted also says it's fine to sell your daughters into slavery, not to eat swine and not to cut your beard or hair. Had a haircut or a BLT lately? What's your daughter worth on the open slave market, would you say? How is it, I wonder, that christians get to pick and choose the bits that serve them?

In the midst of the billions of Buddhists and Hindus on this planet who KNOW all Life is sacred and only to be taken for food and who KNOW that there are as many paths to God as their are people Seeking...we have the Christians, The Muslims and the Jews, all religions founded in the middle east in a frickin desert by patriarchs ...bloodthirsty enough, convinced enough of their "specialness" to God and certain enough that their "truth" is THE Truth... that each killing off the other two must be exactly what God wants.

Question: What;s as dangerous as a faithful Muslim?
Answer: A faithful Christian.

Were it not for Constantine and that escaped slave, Patricius (aka Patrick_, "driving the serpents" from Lesser Britain, we of western European decent would still be worshipping the Great Goddess, respecting all living beings and celebrating those real events of the Great Wheel, summer and winter solstice, spring and fall eqquinox, Beltane and Hallomas as we should be, not the mythical events of "virgin birth" and "rising from the dead"... a Religion preceeding JC by a hundred thousand years.

There never were snakes in Ireland, Wales or England. The Druids wore the mystical tattoos of serpents around their wrists as a symbol of the Goddess and the Great Wheel--the snake swallowing itself. History is, indeed, written by thee conquerquers. The Old Religion was purged by the christians, never adverse to killing anybody who didnt see it their way. You'd think a century or two of persecution might have taught them not to percecute others...but hey, when an integral part of your mythology is " I am THE way and THE Light and "Only thru ME shall you see the Kingdom of Heaven..."...well, there's your built in excuse for purging an entire culture, destroying artifacts, sacred places and re-writing history in your favor. As a result, we of the West now mostly follow a religion formed on the other sied of the planet with which we have NOTHING in common. Enough swprds, and hey--you can do that!

I liked you a lot, Mr. K. I relate to you as an "old timer", we who lived the Age orf Aquarius, we, the "Woodstock Generation".

I wish you had not said the magic words, "The Bible says..." to me. Not that I dont appreciate the bible. I used to have one. However, one day I ran out of toilet paper.

LassChance

cubby said:
I don't bye into the the whole biblical nonsence, nor can you do what you wish with "your" land. But that being said raccoons are not endangered species, they are pesky vermin, their right to exist ends when become a nucance. If they stay in the woods where they belong I wont kill them, but when they negatively impact my standard of living "BOOM" thier gone.

I can respect that, Cubby. I had a family of mice living in my heat vent last winter--I could hear the babies squeaking in there. Still it was winter...and I couldnt blame a mom mouse for bringing her babies inside to a nice warm spot--my heat vent!

So, first I took a big aluminum bowl, smeared it with Wesson oil, put a big dollop of peanut butter in the bottom...and the next morning there were four baby mice in the bowl. But mom wasnt there...maybe too big to not be able to jump out, maybe too smart to even go in in the first place.
Now I had a dilema! The babies separated from the mom! Couldnt stand that...so I wiped the oil off the kids and put them back in the heat vent. That night, I heard the happy squeaking of reunion.
So...next day I went on line and found an ultrasonic device that makes a sound rodents hate...ordered it and plufgged it in! Havent had a single rodent since then.

However, had it NOT worked, I expect sooner or later Id have had to set a mouse trap. Thank goddess I didnt have to.

Last summer I was tripping with some friends down the road, old Hippies. A Copperhead came swimming down the stream we were sitting by, and while we watched, he left the water and moved langoriously up the bank. My friend jumped up to get his gun. I slowly walked toward where the tall grass was rippling and sat down in it's path. The snake finally reached where I sat, Indian style, perfectly still, in his path. He moved toward me very cautiously, his tongue flicking . Remember, I was tripping! and very consciously beaming love and peace his way. When he reached me, he looked at me with either curiosity or disdain, but not fear, then moved along, about his snake biziness, right past me. When Brett got back with his gun, the snake had gone. I like snakes. If he had chosen to explore me, climb up my body and wound himself around my neck, I would have considered it a great honor and even a Blessing. Im way too big to eat...and was not threatening him. Why would he have bit me?

Lassie

mrkingford said:
I was only poking, i'm not a bible freak, i won't be knocking on your door to preach anytime soon ,lol..

And i think we are stating the same thing.?.?
Stay off my area and you live..................
I don't care if they wonder through the 8 acres i have, just stay away from my house and trash!
I had 4 turkeys walk through my property in may, one was a huge male and 3 were his women, it happened my Pitt was out in the woods doing his business and they were walking his way not knowing.
He saw them and took stance ( a REAL pitt WON'T bark, growl or warn as they enjoy fighting and look forward to it ). the male turkey saw him and opened his wings to look big and mean and poised toward my pitt as to defend his women.

It's a good thing he listens to me and stood in position til i ran to him and took hold of his collar. We walked to the side a bit and the turkeys continued on and actually stopped at the pond, drank, then moved on as if just another day...........

Could have had an early thanksgiving but i don't kill innocent animals.

Thank you, Mr. K. At least Im not weeping any more.
But please at least think about this: ALL animals are "innocent". Even the coyote who brings down a sheep, even the dog who goes after a chicken, even a coon hungry for sushi. Their motive is food, not the thrill of the kill. ...let alone some "belief" he has a "right" to kill. Food, man. To eat is his motive.This, if nothing more, sets them apart from humans. My question is....is there an "innocent " human? Past the age of, say, 12? Can we kill everybody over 12 for their lack of "innocence"?

Let me put this question out there....I guess it's painfully clear I dont believe in killing except for food. Will you (all) ponder this? WHAT IF the majority of people on Spaceship Earth all saw things my way? That killing is an act of possessiveness, unless we kill to eat?

What if Christians, Muslims and Jews agreed that ALL life is sacred to God, whatever name we call Him (or Her) by?

OMG! WHAT IF we actually respected each others opinions even if we dont agree? That Allah, Yaweh and JC are ALL the SAME god?

What if, we all knew we dont "
own" land, the land owns us? And we are blessed to call this or that piece, "mine"? What IF we copuld see a coon hunting for our Koi and say, "geeez, man...I guess I gotta build a cave for the fish to hide in...that little guy is hungry..." instead of running for a rifle?

OK, this is where the Chorus sings, "We are the world...we are the chjillun..."

Im just saying. We DO have the potential to rise above our killing instincts.

LassChance

LassChance said:
BLT

LassChance

That means bacon lettuce and tomatoes here.

Lass, you know the rules, you have passed the line.

Maybe its best to remove what you pasted.

This is a really interesting thread, do you really want to spoil it?

Kneejerk is within all of us, so is taking 10 to calm a bit before lighting the powder.

Which did you choose?

Tada.preview.jpg

ArtVandolay said:
:eek:Priest:eek:of:eek:Knowledge:eek: is back!

You are sooo funny sometimes, you really do make me sit here and laugh to myself.

You have quite a gift of reading from the corner and seeing something from an angle unusual.

You could make a career from what you possess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back