Raccoon Killing Time!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Effen Gee

Movin' on up!
Reaction score
So I have this Koi pond, well...had.

A raccoon has now, in two seperate trips eaten ALL my Koi. Some I have had for years.
The simple fact he has come back three times is mindboggling, when you take into account I have already shot this animal...twice, confirmed.

I even lost track of his blood trail two nights ago after putting TWO rounds into this animal.

People have cats here and I enjoy having fish. Raccoons are overpopulated and highly aggressive towards other animals and people.

I have also lessenes the squirrel population arnoud these parts as well, strangely there are more birds around this year...

So...

What is the best way to bait a raccoon.
I own a crossman g1 extreme pellet rifle that puts rounds clean through a squirrel.
Entry and exit. About the size of a dime on the exit.

One shot, one kill.

Yet this scavenger, whose body mass is twice that of the biggest cat I have seen, took TWO of them and ran off, only to return and finish cleaning out my pond.

I am angry to say the least.

I really want to jump out of my walnut tree, tackle and knife to death this animal with my bear hands.

..I will settle for a "Quiet" kill.

Any recommendations?

What is the best wat to bait,

you don't know anyone with a little 22 or anything eh?
pellets will not kill a coon, not without a perfect shot anyway. obviously this thing is tough, and at twice the size of a usual cat i think you may need something bigger.. well to humanely kill it anyway. sounds like you're only hope with pellets is to make it bleed to death, that's just kind of cruel.

Damn, I remember losing all my fish to a Heron.

You could try to poison it.

You could try to trap it.

Or you could stop playing with pellet guns and use a 12 gauge.

The problem with poison is its inhumane and not guaranteed to be eated by the raccoon but could be eaten by a pet.

I understand your loss, I lost about £300 of fish.

I filled the pond in and built a greenhouse on top of it, the greenhouse is still in use today :hubba:

Vermin is vermin, no getting away from it.

:peace:

Hot dogs and dog food kibbles will get him to come right up and eat out of your hand, then blast that sucker with a rock. While he is stunned, get him in a choke hold and slice his throat from ear to ear til his head falls off. I had huge koi fish and battled with coons each year. I was able to keep the big birds away using a stone statue of a Heron. It also helps to make your pond 5 feet deep or more. Man I was a koi pond building some ***** years ago, took me two weeks to dig my 10,000 gallon pond but what a beauty! Post some pics of your pond and fish, love to see them.

SherwoodForest said:
Hot dogs and dog food kibbles will get him to come right up and eat out of your hand, then blast that sucker with a rock. ....

Not a bad idea, Sherwood, but it will be more fun to shoot it :). I'm partial to the 12 gauge mentioned by HIE above, but a cheap .22 caliber rifle will do the job quieter and cleaner :). You can buy a cheap .22 at WallyMart :D

Please stop shooting at animals with inadequate weaponry.

I understand you wanting to protect your Koi carp but wounding an animal for doing it's thing is not good karma now is it?

Is netting at all possible and have you asked pro's for advice on this so you can enjoy your fish in peace without hi powered weaponry in the equation?

Stop picking on my pellet gun!

I live in dense, urban/sprawl. Firearms are not a great idea for me to use, especially since the police station is three blocks down the street from my house.

Poisoning is too mean, I THOUGHT that I could get a quick kill with this rifle, as it is scoped and has a muzzle velocity of 1000+fps.

I assumed it would do the trick. Perhaps the Gamo hunting pellets I got are not as good as I thought, even though they advertised small game including raccoons.

Serously, if location allowed I would have ended this with the first shot, the first time.
Although I feel bad about wounding this animal, I an not cruel, I am simply amazed "it" came back for seconds.

...after I shot...and chased him.
It got a good look at me too.

Netting would work, but I have decided to keep my pond fish-free for now.
Possibly until I move, so I can just redo the whole damn thing.

...If I DO get this animal, nothing will go to waste. Promise.

I also promise to do it as humanely as possible, unless I have to tackle the noctournal scavenger, then he gets knifed.

That fps will kill it if you do a head or neck shot, its body mass will absorb the power on a body shot.

:peace:

Thats what I thought.

I am sure that my scope is off by a bit, that would explain the body hits as opposed to head/neck.

Make no mistake folks, I am familiar with guns and am a better than decent shot.

Not all of us are gun hating homosexuals out here who wear peta shirts and eat tofu.

I LOVE to go shooting. Not really hunting, mostly range targets.

Full torso silhouettes are my faveo.

I have built about 30 ponds. The way we "protect the koi" is to install a "cave" in the pond. As long as the fish have a place to hide they seem to be ok. All we do is take a piece of corrugated drainage pipe (appropriate size for the pond - usually 12" diamater or larger) cut it in half down the length and set it on the bottom with the arch up. then we conceal it with rocks and stones to hide it. Hope this helps.

Last year my wife spotted a racoon mama and her baby climbing up my deck posts and going through trash bags and eating plants and making a mess.
Well this sucker is here again this year. Last week i heard it on the deck at 1am and went for my bb rifle and then after seeing this behemouth i went for my .380, my wife grabs me and says, " that's mean " but i continue and then she uses reason and says " that will make enough noise to wake the neighbors and call the police and your growing ", ok, so women are smarted then men often enough, so i go back to the bb gun and she gets 2 pots and bangs them together and chases it off the deck, i run out back with my dog ( in the pic, a 121lb. Pittbull) in the dark and all i hear is it russleing through the woods, so i give up, for now..................SOB.

phatpharmer said:
I'm against killing all animals, call me a wimp!LOL But I just can't stand to think that some poor little animal is suffering!

Phatpharmer

That's why I need to adjust my scope. 1k fps is pretty fast.

A human could not take two rounds and continue.
I wonder if there is a chance the animal id rabid?
Would it have been ore aggressive towards me?

Anyone dealt with rabid animals?

AcesUp said:
I have built about 30 ponds. The way we "protect the koi" is to install a "cave" in the pond. As long as the fish have a place to hide they seem to be ok. All we do is take a piece of corrugated drainage pipe (appropriate size for the pond - usually 12" diamater or larger) cut it in half down the length and set it on the bottom with the arch up. then we conceal it with rocks and stones to hide it. Hope this helps.

That is a good idea.

I thought a cinderblock would work, along with a pile of river rocks which formed caves.

Those were all over the place this morning.
It even ripped out the filter assembly.

There are claw marks everywhere and my pond water smells really bad.

I guess i will put it on my outdoor plants. They might love it.

Can you make some sort of cover out of chicken wire or something?

It wouldnt be that pretty, but you could remove it when your actually out enjoying your fish.

Anyhoo just a thought.

All a pellet gun will do is piss it off. Kinda surprised it actually broke skin. With that fur and thick hide.

When I was a kid, I had this kids Bow. Bout 20lb bow lol. I saw this raccoon out in the woods. Ran out with my little bow and arrows. Shot the thing dead square in its side.
Well the arrow bounced off him. And the race was on. I was flyin to the house, raccoon hot on my tail. He was pissed.

Now though, I have a few farms around me. One of the people catches them in live traps and takes them to a new area and drops them off. Just cause its funnier to make your problem, someone elses.

phatpharmer said:
I'm against killing all animals, call me a wimp!LOL But I just can't stand to think that some poor little animal is suffering!

Phatpharmer

i feel the same way, maybe its just us ontarians :rolleyes:
dont get me wrong, i get real furious when i hear them outside my
bedroom window at night hitting down my garbage cans and feasting..
but theyre just trying to stay alive. i just give em a little "shoo"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back