Raccoon Killing Time!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TURKEYNECK said:
there ya go buddy! makin a hat aye? Not many folks eat coon down here, ......just possum:p

Lol, he climbs up my deck and knocks over the trash cans and makes a HUGE disgusting mess several times a week.
I would love to catch him.

I have several weapons, but all are to large caliber to shoot that close to the house, except my .380.
I think i still have 1 or 2 bb guns in the garage that were my sons, hiimmm, i'll check later.
I actually wanted to trap him and take him to a nice lake with woods around it but traps are like $ 30.00 at least and a single round of .380 is only like .15 cents.

Funny, he must not like the rain cause he almost never comes when it rains, and it's been raining everyday except 3 since 6/1, including now as i'm typing.

Thank's for the tip Turkey.................

Hey, EFFIN GEE.
how much did it cost to stuff????

I had a buddy lose a few very expensive coy to coons. He put a little electric fence with wire at 4in and 8in and he hasn't seen them since. He did however hear some crazy noises for a few nights he said.

Sounds like a lotta fun, but coons are probably the #1 carrier of rabies, so be carefull out there.

I've got an 85 pound Rottie/Black Mouth Cur cross that doesn't tolerate four leggers in her yard. By the time I realize there's a problem back there all I need is a shovel.;)

Two years ago I was sitting on my back deck smoking a bowl and heard this scurrying sound and assumed it was my niehbors little dog (very wierd animal) Until I heard a crash on my deck. I turned on the lights and drew back the shade cloth curtain and there on my deck were 4 large racoons. At first I "shooed" them as was suggested earlier, they just looked at me unfazed. I picked up a fire-place poker I use for the BBQ and waved it at them, no response so I sprayed them with the garden hose, they ran under my deck. When I came out the next day my deck was a mess. They had returned in the night and knocked over several plant pots and even untied some of the hanging plant holders. I was so p.o.ed I bought myself a high power pellet gunnand waited for them to come back, sure enough that same night they showed up, when I flipped on the deck lights the closest one to me just stood on his back feet and waved his front paws at me like I was the intruder. I shot him smack dab in the center of his chest, he let out a squeel and ran to the other end of the deck where he got tangled in the shade cloth and died. His three little friends scurried up the fence over the garage and have never come back. I don't know if raccoons have a memory that tells them where to stay away from or not but they havent been back to my propertie. If they were'nt so destructive they would be more than welcome. I have tons of bunnies living under my deck but they have never been a problem as far as my gardens or anything so they can stay. Stray cats on the other hand, I catch in a live trap, bring them home and tell thier owners keep them off my propertie, if they come back a second time they go the way of the raccoon. I won't abide some cat using my veggie garden as an auxilliary litter box or killing the bunnies. Thier called "house cats" for a reason, keep them in your house.

PencilHead said:
Sounds like a lotta fun, but coons are probably the #1 carrier of rabies, so be carefull out there.

I've got an 85 pound Rottie/Black Mouth Cur cross that doesn't tolerate four leggers in her yard. By the time I realize there's a problem back there all I need is a shovel.;)

He sounds like a good dog.
I have an American Pitt Bull Terrier 3rd generation, he's 121 lbs. and is extremely dominate.
IF my dog caught him it would'nt be pretty.
I guess thats why it only comes at night?

Thread kinda reminds me of that movie Harlem Nights.
When Arsenio and another guy are firing off machine guns and heavy stuff. Then the 3rd guy pulls out his little pop gun when they are done firing with the little "bang bang".
And Arsenio starts screaming. "Put that little @#$%#$% away! Dont be shootin off that little @#$%@#$%!"

So...

Last night at about two, I am outside smoking my night cap.
As I walk back tothe front door I see this blur on the fence in front of me. I realize this grey blur is possible the king of the local raccoon gang. Made the one I shot seem like a child.

So he sees me, makes his way slowly up the tree. stops at about my head level and just looks at me.

So I get my gun and a shovel.

I shot him right in the neck. Seemed to me like the round about bounced off his skin.

He moves up the tree and sits there....looking at me.
I am making allkinds of hissing and pissed of animal noises and my cat is watching through my security door.

I shot at this thing three more times, using my mounted light to get some glint from his retnas so I have some kind of target.

No dice.

So I hid...for HOURS.

Finally when the sun came up I decided to go to bed.

Poison, no. High caliber or firearms...no.

Sardines worked in a glass mason jar as a shot trap, but I have no cage and this guy is big.

If he comes back tonight, I will get him with my mitts again if i have to.

There, the story continues.

Ok, i found the bb gun my wife hid from me a couple weeks ago in the garage. Now i need to go buy pointed tip rounds. I already got tuna and a roll of tin foil, i'm gonna get him soon, hehe.

What I use to do with the kids pellet guns is cut welding rods into like 3/4 inch pieces and sharpen the ends. Could sink them like that into an Oak or anything. Extra weight and the tip give it alot more velocity.
Can go to like AutoZone, Lowes, or pretty much anywhere and grab a small pack of rods.

Cant call someone with something bigger to take care of the bigger raccoon though?
I got 2 neighbors that call me every time theirs a noise in the bushes.
1 time though one of them called about some "doggies" in her yard. So I went on over. Wasnt no little "doggies" like I was expectin. Was a couple huge pits that had broke loose from down the street.
First shot. From out the truck window. Let me tell ya, nothing quite rings the skull like firing off some 00buck from out the cab of a truck. lol
Felt like I had been spinning in a circle for an hour.

:rofl:
mrkingford said:
LOL, i almost wet myself, lol.
Great story...................Please post the ugly ba*****s pic when you get him back.
Also, use his eye socket as an ash tray for futher revenge.

I can't wait to get the one on my deck.

my thots exactly, well, not quite exactly....

After this string of encounters with raccoons, I strongly recommend AGAINST using anything less than a .22 cal or bigger.

If I had my old compound, no issues whatsoever. I traded it for a bike years ago.

If you DO use an air rifle this is what I have learned:

1. Make sure your gun is accurate, you have a good target and you can get off more than one shot. Unless he rears up or you have target on his underside...useless. I was laying on the ground ten feet from the one I shot...for HOURS. I got lucky the first time.

2. If you go for a head shot, good luck. These guys have TINY heads in relation to the body size. I have never seen a raccoon this close that was that big. They must be eating well this year...obviously.

3. If you can wound him, most farm type tools (i.e shovel, mattox, pitchfork or even a hoe) you can finish the job without getting your hands dirty. These things are covered in fleas and god knows what else. I bagged the one I shot immediately and stuck him in a cooler for the trip.

4. Don't be scared. Remember the food chain. Wear gloves, jacket, pants and shoes. Don't go after him in your flip flops like I did last night.

5. Avoid tackling, pinning, wrestling and stabbing a raccoon. Afterthought is often scary. Those things have really, really sharp and long teeth. If you do get them in your hands, it seems like they can "Spin in their skin" or they are not attached to the epidermis. Watch the claws. If you have to handle one, get on top of his back and pin his legs under neath him. Hand on the neck, knees holding. His lungs are right between his shoulder blades or you could attempt to break his kneck. Good luck with that one.

All in all, if you can...call animal control.

If you seek adventure with a little suspense and a little mess....do it yourself. I have read that rabies is quite common among raccoons. Dont know about my area but I do know i don't want them roosting in my tree and helping themselves repeatedly to my pond. I would much rather them try to knock over my garbage cans like civilized animals. Plus, the neighbors have some really cool cats that come around and they all seem to get along with each other...to I feel like I should remove the threat to them at the least.

Crap...I shoot at least three squirrels a week trying to save my Black Walnut tree that, until I started the process was dying.

I had a raccoon attack me before. That dude was massive and climbed me like a tree. His teeth shreaded me and the sucker got almost to my throat before I could throw him off. That was 20 years ago, I still have scars.

The Effen Gee said:
So I have this Koi pond, well...had.

A raccoon has now, in two seperate trips eaten ALL my Koi. Some I have had for years.
The simple fact he has come back three times is mindboggling, when you take into account I have already shot this animal...twice, confirmed.

I even lost track of his blood trail two nights ago after putting TWO rounds into this animal.

People have cats here and I enjoy having fish. Raccoons are overpopulated and highly aggressive towards other animals and people.

I have also lessenes the squirrel population arnoud these parts as well, strangely there are more birds around this year...

So...

What is the best way to bait a raccoon.
I own a crossman g1 extreme pellet rifle that puts rounds clean through a squirrel.
Entry and exit. About the size of a dime on the exit.

One shot, one kill.

Yet this scavenger, whose body mass is twice that of the biggest cat I have seen, took TWO of them and ran off, only to return and finish cleaning out my pond.

I am angry to say the least.

I really want to jump out of my walnut tree, tackle and knife to death this animal with my bear hands.

..I will settle for a "Quiet" kill.

Any recommendations?

What is the best wat to bait,

O man...bummer.
But look...if he was shot twice and still came back...says he was pretty damn hungry. Remember, he doesnt know they were "pet" fish.

Can you get one of those "Have a Heart" traps and just trap him and move him to anothwer hunting ground?

Seems kinda wrong to kill him for eating fish, like Nature intended.

Lassie

I did not realize they were this mean or large. I have both a bb air pistol and a pump action air bb/pellet rifle. Both are old and i bit rusty and probably not dead on accurate. Maybe a trap would be better, or to leave the dog on the deck for a night.

SPEARCHUCKER said:
nothing quite rings the skull like firing off some 00buck from out the cab of a truck. lol
Felt like I had been spinning in a circle for an hour.
sorry for the sidetrack Effen...
Spearchucker, when I was about 10 my dad shot a coyote that was killing our chickens..pointed the barrel of his black powder rifle out the back door and boom..felt like the roof rose up like a cartoon, talk about your ears ringing
I bet that black powder rifle would take care of them!

kaotik said:
12 gauge lol if you don't mind pellets in your koi.
a 308 would rip it apart just as well ;)

Aw jeeez, now! Why deprive a living creature of his life for being hungry and eating his natural food? The coon didnt KNOW it was a man-made pond full of "pet" fish, for cryin out loud.
How about spending a few bucks on a piece of SCREEN just under the surface...it wouldnt show and the fish would be safe...and so would the coon.

A raccoon is much higher UP the food chain than a fish. MUCH more intelligent, warm blooded, a mammal...should die over eating a few damn fish? Come on.

Man builds pond where Nature didnt put one. Man buys pretty fish to amuse him. Coon eats fish. Man must now kill. Give me a freaking break. What's more UN-natural? a coon eating fish or a human building a phony pond and paying big bucks for fancy goldfish for his amusement? If the human didnt have foresight enough to screen over the pond, learn a lesson, buy more fish and a screen...and get over it.

A personal blood vendetta against an animal whose only sin was eating his natural food is just plain wrong. The coon killed for food. Is the avenging human going to eat the coon? I understand they go great with sweet potatoes.

Failing that, take a deep breath, laugh it off and let the coon live. If a human wants a pretty pond and some pretty fish, let the human use his greater intelligence to protect the fish--and not expect the coonj to respect his "property". To a coon, a fish is a fish. And the coon is right.

Lassie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back