Raccoon Killing Time!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Effen Gee said:
That's why I need to adjust my scope. 1k fps is pretty fast.

A human could not take two rounds and continue.
I wonder if there is a chance the animal id rabid?
Would it have been ore aggressive towards me?

Anyone dealt with rabid animals?

Ill tell you now he doesnt have rabies. He can catch fish, and know to run from humans. If he wasnt acting normal, then he would have it. Like if he ran crooked and stumbling.

And 1k isnt that fast. Unless you can get within 20 feet of him. I wouldnt recommend you keep shooting the animal. Just going to get little pellets lodged under his skin, making him suffer bad. Cause I doubt 1k could break bones enough to get in and kill him. Pellet guns are not ment for that sized animals, it wont penetrate its skull, and it wont break ribs enough to get in and kill him from a distance.

I feel for ur delema. We had to put a coon down a few weeks ago with distemper wouldnt leave the house and was 1 mad lil bastsrd. Im not gonna bang on ur pellet gun but but ur seriosly under armed we cought ours in a live trap with a dgood old pb&J and called DNR. They told us we wasnt allowed to shoot it so they sent the shariff who shot it with 00/ buck and the thing looked at him like he was retarded I laughed in amazment. After the second shot it wasnt moving to well but was still kicking and not happy with us then came the shovel of decapition from the shed when we found out it couldnt run up or legs and finnished the job. Now i dont beleive in being crule to animals but these little bastards are tanks on 4 legs and as crual as it looks i think the shovle is the only way but if u can get it into a live trap put ur pellet gun through the bars and shoot it through the eye first

The gun is retired for this operation.

Looks like I might get my hands dirty. Time to make a tree perch.

The loss of my fish I can deal with, as I have waay too many as it is.
I am doing this because there are a lot of really cool cats in my neighborhood and I would hate to see any of them get mauled by a raccoon.

Not all of us are gun hating homosexuals out here who wear peta shirts and eat tofu.
... Oh comon' now.. we both know that ain't true! :p
.. but back to your immediate problem hee hee ;) once a 'coon finds a food source they are tenacious.. they are intelligent.. and that have that 'thumb' :). but what you may be dealing with is a family or multiple coons. IME even a 177 pellet @ 1000 fps in the body cavity "should" have proved fatal.. or at least made him "reeeally" sick ;)
I've dispatched dozens w/ a 22 @ 1100 fps.
They LUV sardines...;)

thedonofchronic said:
i feel the same way, maybe its just us ontarians :rolleyes:
dont get me wrong, i get real furious when i hear them outside my
bedroom window at night hitting down my garbage cans and feasting..
but theyre just trying to stay alive. i just give em a little "shoo"

The only thing that's for certain when it comes to raccoons is a small problem will quickly grow into a large problem :)

Get a .22 rifle with a scope sight it in to dead bulls-eye at 25 yards. Now take a small mag light(flash light) and tape it to the bottom side of your rifle barrel. Then take a Mt Dew 20 oz plastic bottle and slip it over the end of your rifle barrel, tape the bottle to the barrel. Wait till dark, set up on him/her when you see it turn the light on point into it's eyes, this will cause the animal to be blind for a few seconds and pause, then take your shot. The green from the bottle will reduce the muzzle flash and the bottle will act as a silencer (a must for suburban areas). Or use a live trap with sardines catch him/her and take to country and release or call animal control. I have done all 3 and they all work. But you'll have to do something because once they find a food source getting rid of the food source or getting rid of them is your only option. Also when a pellet gun is stating FPS that is max velocity at point blank range, and point blank range is only 3 feet. So to get your 1000 FPS you would need to be 3 foot or closer, past that the pellet starts to loose speed as gravity and friction take over...take care..

Update:

Raccoon has killed the survivors. Returned the next few nights to completely destroy my pond. Ripped the filter assembly OUT.

...So I hid.

I hid on top of the overgrown dog kennel. I hid for HOURS.

I watched the bait. Unwavering.

When he came into view, put his head in the jar for a sniff...

....I put a .177 brass coated pellet direclty through his left eye. He jumped and spun. One of those shots that almost brings tears to your eyes it was so money.
By the time he hit the ground, I was on him...knife out.

5 seconds it was over. Start to finish.
He must have been three times the size of a morbidly obese cat.

Huge claws, huge teeth.

I would have called animal control, but I have six foot tall pot plants in my yard.

He is being prepped at the local taxidermist. New coatrack.

Fishies, you have been avenged.
Neighborhood cat's, you are safe again.

...for now.

That's 1 down and most likely a few more to go, good luck with them and sorry to hear about your pond and fish. Sounds like he has hit up a few ponds to have grown that large though...take care..

Good that you got him.
I was going to recommend making a quarter ounce of fulminate of mercury and hiding the package in a sardine.

LOL, i almost wet myself, lol.
Great story...................Please post the ugly ba*****s pic when you get him back.
Also, use his eye socket as an ash tray for futher revenge.

I can't wait to get the one on my deck.

Coons LOVE anything shiny, and as hick said..sardines.. what you need is a trap, down here animal control will let you borrow one.. some aluminum foil and a can of tuna or sardines.. will guarantee a catch;)

TURKEYNECK said:
Coons LOVE anything shiny, and as hick said..sardines.. what you need is a trap, down here animal control will let you borrow one.. some aluminum foil and a can of tuna or sardines.. will guarantee a catch;)

ima goin shoppin

The Effen Gee said:
Update:

Raccoon has killed the survivors. Returned the next few nights to completely destroy my pond. Ripped the filter assembly OUT.

...So I hid.

I hid on top of the overgrown dog kennel. I hid for HOURS.

I watched the bait. Unwavering.

When he came into view, put his head in the jar for a sniff...

....I put a .177 brass coated pellet direclty through his left eye. He jumped and spun. One of those shots that almost brings tears to your eyes it was so money.
By the time he hit the ground, I was on him...knife out.

5 seconds it was over. Start to finish.
He must have been three times the size of a morbidly obese cat.

Huge claws, huge teeth.

I would have called animal control, but I have six foot tall pot plants in my yard.

He is being prepped at the local taxidermist. New coatrack.

:rofl: Brutal. Effen, you are an animal, man!! I love it...

If you ever get the chance...: I picked up a J.C. Higgins Sears, Roebuck & Co. for $50 from an old man when we were working on his house. It is a single shot bolt action .22 that shoots CB rounds. I'll bet it is even quieter than your pellet gun!;) It's a real quiet killer when it comes to the smaller side of the animal kingdom. Perfect for urban warfare.

You could also find a .17 guage.. extremely accurate and like a pop-gun;)
..If it's the kill yer after:p

Do you have the Gamo CFX single cock spring gun?

Mine is dead on and deadly.

I have a g1 extreme that has been modified.

Single side ris system with a laser designator.

I have plans in the making at the moment with my brother to try to spear a bear. If you have any more problems maybe that would be a quiet and intimate way to deal with the bastids. Our plan is to set out a bait barrel and then build a tree stand above it then stab the bear to death with a big spear. Should be fun. My bro is just looking into the legality of it all atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back