Real Simple Question without a Clear Answer:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalchick832

Reaction score
At what age/height/stage in growing is it okay to start topping without hurting your plant? Everyone seems to have a different answer to this, which is why I say there's no CLEAR answer. What has worked for everyone?

Thanks,
Metalchick :heart:

well i usally wait tell the plant is about 6 weeks old when i top my plants and i havent had any problems

time wont really answer that question since everyones plants are growing at different rates, to me i personally if youre planning on topping as soon as the plant can take it, i would look for the point where i can take 1-3 nodes and still leave 1/3 of the plant intact.

metalchick832 said:
At what age/height/stage in growing is it okay to start topping without hurting your plant? Everyone seems to have a different answer to this, which is why I say there's no CLEAR answer. What has worked for everyone?

Thanks,
Metalchick :heart:
When the pant has matured and you can sex it and it has alternating nodes, it would be fine to top.

Why would anyone want to top one that hasn't matured yet?

Stoney Bud said:
Why would anyone want to top one that hasn't matured yet?

Interesting...I may recall info that top'n to early could cause a sex to tend to be a boy....well if my brain works and if I recall correctly.

Hmm sounds like a good concern.

But wait, i thought it was opposite. Topping your plant in a young stage your stressing it alot wich were i read it said it wasnt 100% proven of course, but stressed plants have a higher ration of becoming female. Thats why alot of people use LST befor there mature also.

Ekk it maybe true I recall info on LST also...errr.

Maybe I mostly had M phototon grows? I do remember go'n into bud'n once...and it sure seemed to be F...but ehh for lame reasons I never finished.

I have a motto. DON"T CUT YOUR PLANTS. there is no reason to top your plants with all the other low to no stress methods out like LST. and SCROG.

When you top you will stunt growth for a couple weeks and you will cause stress. There are better ways to keep your plants low and bushy and get more flowering tops.

To answer your question though, it's okay to top as soon as you got 5-7 nodes.You DON"T have to wait till alternating nodes.Topping doesn't affect male to female ratios. That is determined at seed level.

More info I may have right....

..or not.

It would seem any type of induced stress by some type of LST would help thicken a plants stock.

I plan on LST'n.

After your first set of three leaves.:cool: That's what I've always been told and what has worked for me so far. Give your babies time to recoop after you top them though. Every other node is recommended but I usually top every chance I get. My uncle does as well and he always puts out a huge yield!!:D

Latest posts

Back