Regarding LED quality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that's just my opinion based on my experience but I did sleep at a budget inn once
No problem with your explanation. You are correct. I look at micro mole/joule both the PPF and efficacy as well as total electrical power.

I think Nick has mixed electrical and optical measurements together, I think he meant something like high PAR, and low power consuming leds like the spydr are so effective.

If you want to look at the PAR, it is a measurement of energy, ie micro mole per joule. I think that is where the confusion starts. It is a measure of power, optical PAR, that range of wavelengths that the plant sees from 400 nm to 800 nm. So while electrical power = voltage x current and that measurement is in watts, you are correct in your statement, but it doesn't apply to the micro mole/joule power, only electrical power. Clear as mud right?

There is a process of skills. It starts with germinating, then vegging, then flowering. Being able to go from seed to dried bud. While the type of lighting can impact the final product, T5 lights can grow plants from seed to bud. Leds can do it also, but until you can go from seed to bud successfully the finer points of growing that we are talking about have little
I don't have "many" plants to kill. So overthinking are the notes I draw my final conclusions from. Don't you?
Some give up after their first time and some don't. All the research is great but it's not a replacement for experience.

The best buds I’ve grown were grown from seed under t5’s start to finish. very dense buds, good tasting and powerful smoke. See in my signature the link to the buckeye purple and Thai grows. I am still learning with my LED(king 1200). I don’t think I have enough PAR with the 1200 and probably should get another 1200 or 1500 but I am sure I will exceed my best grows that I had with t5’s. Not in the budget for now though. In the end, you will kill your plants because you want to smoke them. You will make mistakes and have success as well. Grow for the fun of it and you will learn what cannabis likes and doesn’t. All the advice and help from all these master growers will help but only experience and genetics will get you coke can sized buds and 30+% THC buds. I screwed up my first grow really badly but it was still some of the best smoke I’d had to that point because it was mine.

As long as you keep the PH of Nutrients and water in the correct range, establish a long enough Dark period during Flowering and feed even close to often enough you will get some bud at the end. How much and its quality is where fine tuning comes in. It can take several grows.

When I am about to put down a Mother Plant for size and age reasons I take some cuts, wait for roots and then experiment on the Mother Plant to see the different effects different things will have on them. Right now I have 2 Moms that are flowering in 24-7 light after being neglected nutrition and watering wise. Once I started feeding them a Flowering mix they started budding up nicely. Not sure what to make of it yet. Could be a combination of the stress causing the plant to hermie and try and save itself. I figure the Flower Nutes just sped things up.

Get the basics down and then start tinkering. jmo

There is a process of skills. It starts with germinating, then vegging, then flowering. Being able to go from seed to dried bud. While the type of lighting can impact the final product, T5 lights can grow plants from seed to bud. Leds can do it also, but until you can go from seed to bud successfully the finer points of growing that we are talking about have little

Some give up after their first time and some don't. All the research is great but it's not a replacement for experience.

Couldn't agree more. I've always been one to go too far to the point of mental chaos over too much information. But in the end, that's how I imagine lots of people function.

And I understand your point on starting out anxious and losing interest once the true level of expertise needed to do well shows up. I'm sitting on an acoustic guitar kit I paid over $1000 on 13 years ago. Part way in, the full magnitude arrested my brains and now I have an awesome, high end guitar that somebody will buy from me and finish building some day. ... the best laid plans.....

Latest posts

Back