repotting question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfer Joe

Reaction score
I was wondering if you can just put a fabric pot into the ground and have the plant roots keep growing into the surrounding soil?
If so, would it stress the plant in any way or benefit it?
Would it grow bigger if the roots suddenly had more space?
Would it be a bad idea to do it during flower?
Would cutting some slits in the fabric help the roots to spread into the soil?
Thanks for any opinions.

Has it been done? Yes. Those stupid peat pots are sold as ooh plant your tomato AND THE POT!!! It's not as greatvas it seems.
Yeah the fabric pot can breathe, which is awesome. But as the roots grow and get fatter, the fabric pinches them, especially if it's a synthetic fabric that doesn't get weaker from decomposition when planted. So, a burlap tree ball bag would be safer than a polyester grow bag. Slits help some but the roots won't go looking for holes in a porous material, they'll waste energy trying and failing to establish themselves beyond it.
Best bet if you have to plant something that has been in a bag, cut the bag to shreds and pull off any scraps that release pretty easily.

I have done that, but i think it restricts growth. I did it with a 5-gallon pot. You could always cut the bottom off too if you want. I have found that most root growth is done in veg. I used to repot before flipping, but decided just to start off with bigger pots.

Latest posts

Back