Rinsing off hydroton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shockeclipse

1000w Of Love
Reaction score
Should I use ph adjuted water to rinse off my hydroton before using?

i just rinse what i need when i need it and i've been dumping my hydrotron into a five gallon bucket of RO water, mixing up the clay for a few minutes, and then using a pasta strainer to get them out. it seems to work well for my needs, but if anyone else has a trick for washing please share it. thanks.

mG2

medicalGreenGrower said:
i just rinse what i need when i need it and i've been dumping my hydrotron into a five gallon bucket of RO water, mixing up the clay for a few minutes, and then using a pasta strainer to get them out. it seems to work well for my needs, but if anyone else has a trick for washing please share it. thanks.

mG2
I was planning on just filling a strainer part way and running water on it while I mix it around with my hands

High... it comes in plastic bag.. cut some holes in the bottom of it and stand the bag up in the tub.. cut a hole in the top and stick a garden hose init.. let it run til water runs clear out the bottom.
or fill it.. let it drain, fill it ..drain.. etc., etc... till clear water..

Gets the reall big stuff out of the way and you won't "dust up" the place when you pour it out of the bag...

It is very dusty when new....

I went out and picked up one of those mesh sacks with a drawsting for laundry, dump the hydroton in the bag and chunk it in the shower;) works like a charm.

I add a few teaspoons of peroxide to help sterilize it when I wash mine.

Yup, same here. That's what I use each time I finish a cycle. I get the hydroponic stuff that's good for adding oxygen back to the water. Instead of using it as an additive I use it to sterilize my hydroton and it also helps bring the root and leaves pieces up to the surface for easy skimming.

However, when I first got my hydroton I rinsed it out with normal tap water in a strainer till the water ran clear.

BuddyLuv said:
...or as my wife calls it, the batcave:D

I would call mine... "The man cave":cool: I can see it now... Overhead plumbing=hose drops..duel drains in the floor..overhead recepticals for convenience(and safety;) ) oh man... I'll get my cave one day.:rolleyes:

Edit: oh yeah.. and cant forget the old (retired) livingroom set and the X-Box;) ..and a beer fridge. Now Im dreamin'! and a mini-munchie bar...next to my 'utility sink'..inbetween the freezer full-O-meat and the blow-up doll:hubba: ..or maybe it's just a washing machine :rolleyes: Sky high.

..so yeah cleaning hydroton is too much like work.

throw the stuff away and buy new its such an arse washing the crap

uk420maan

I must be a cheap bastich then because I keep reusing the same two batches and always have a clean batch waiting to switch cycles and so on and so forth.

I figure time is money and the stuff is only like 30 bucks for a 50L bag.

I use a kitchen collender(well, I know I spelled that one wrong). I just rinse them off real good, than I let them sit for a while to make sure theres no chlorine left from rinsing.

Latest posts

Back