RO or Tap H2O

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As much as Hemp Goddess and i are debating this Puff. she has a legitamite point. RO when it comes to plant is way different then a Volvo owner.LMFAO. She a has been stating that using RO as a starter to add nutes to is best, the only debate has really been from the beginning .Ibelieve. is that RO will take more Nutes to level out its negative charge so that the plants will be able to Reep rather than Sow.
As for Ozone water. man have i got some products to sell you! to much O3 in your water will turn it to Hydro-peroxide. Nasa already did this to clean clothes.....

And yes Hemp G. If Ro and Distilled are blank slates wouldnt they be perfect to test against each other for Nute conductivity. Ro negative charge. and Distilled nuetral charge? find out which one takes more nutes to equal out.
And tankdoggster. personally i feel you should just be using a really good Carbon filter to remove the bads from your water. Ro is a good idea and if your comfortable with using it do it.
I know at my house. whole house carbon filter, water softner with a good fleck valve. no problems with salt. once i add my nutes i have never had to do anything to my water.

I am not saying and never have said that I think everyone should use an RO just cuz...I am not a fan of ROs because of the amount of water that they waste. It usually takes 3-9 gallons of water to make 1 gal of RO water. I am a big proponent of water conservation. You should use an RO or distilled water if your tap water has a high ppm.

It is the gases in the water that make the ph of RO'd water go down. Not all RO'd water goes down in ph--mine doesn't, I still have to use ph down to get my ph below 6.

triple o baby, love'm. 3-9 gal? probably closer to 20 gal. I understand Godess's point of wanting a blank slate, If I was doing hydro I might consider it, if my water needed it, But would probably go distilled. I wouldn't need it with my water source. If you NEED ro then go for it, If you have a volvo, call me.
puff

I wonder If TankDoggster is even still reading this post that he put out and if this depate has scared him off completely.
So what we have figured out is:
1. Ro and distilled are excellent for a "start from scratch" water source.
2. Carbon filtered water would be next.
3. Puffnstuff has a creepy thing for Volvo's
Any other things you want an answer for Tankdoggster? will will put it thru the Improbabilty machine and get back to you in a couple of weeks..

Growdude said:
Its worth is if you have crap tap water, mine is over 800 ppm so I use RO water, rain water and dehumidifier water.

I used to use city water that I brought home in a 20 gallon drum from work but it started looking suspicious.

I let the city water sit out to evap chlorine and I suggest you do that with your tap if its city water but I never had a problem using it, but everyones water is differant, but if it reads low on the PPM's Im sure its fine.

For example, the water I have is reddish, full of rust... I can not give it to my babies so I prefer to use Bottled Water, boil it, let it rest for a day and feed the babies.

is this a question? your a perfect canidate for a whole house filter(carbon). water softner with an iron out drip. and an RO. i aint got much going on today. lets get it hooked up. all parts at retail and we can discuss flat rate or expensive hourly for the labor.lol

so if say a guy wanted to know the tds/ppm of his local tap water but doesnt have a tds/ppm meter could ya just call ya city water dept, and would they know or have it recorded or somethin somewhere?
also the reverse osmosis unit they got in the grocer's round ere are all fed from local water as well and im curious if say the local tap is way outta wack like too high levels chlorine or other treating chems as well as i know , lime buildup is somethin fierce in our local water...
...now would the RO water be safe once proper ph was established and set irregardless of wat water that went into the RO dispenser was like an had in it etc...?
cuz distilled water even tho i only been usin 2-3 gallons a week at most. thats still for me(round 5 bux a week that adds up more n more for somethin this earth is almost completely composed of . LOL aint that somethin huh? lol.
basically wat im wonderin is if there are any things in the water used to get the RO water that would make it bad water for growin wit in soil. granted ya still adjust ph if needed.
im just worried cuz i think it was more the crap in our tap water more than ph that sabotaged my plants in there adolescenthood.:)_))

I run hydro. and after reading 80% of the posts I have to say RO is the only way to go for ME. My ppm from the tap is 550. I don't know what that 550 is MG, Ca, etc. Considering when my plants are in full veg mode I give them about 900 ppm of ferts. Well, if I start with 550 of unknowns, I can only add 350pm of actual ferts the plants need. I would rather be able to max out the plants with known ppms. My first hydro with tap water had some problems with ppms and ph constantly getting out of whack. Now, my ppm raises when I first start up which is normal. I will have to add ph down now and then to keep it at around 5.9. After a couple of weeks it only slowly creeps up. When I add RO water to it it brings is down a little. I basically only use tap if I am going the soil route.

Latest posts

Back