Rockwool vs. Rapid Rooters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auburn1985

Reaction score
For germinating seeds, I've used mostly Rapid Rooters. They work well, but I'd like to try rockwool cubes (to be planted in soilless media). However, I've read of some people having trouble getting seeds to germinate in rockwool.

Actually, I used rockwool a long time ago for a single grow, and recollect that they worked well. I liked them because they're clean and stand up well on their own, without having to have some sort of supporting tray.

Does anyone here like rockwool for germinating seeds?

I have never tried germinating in rockwool because you have to prep it before using it. I prefer Oasis foam cubes. They are pH neutral and I have always had great results (with good seeds, that is).

edit: are Rapid Rooters peat pellets?

Rockwool is great for everything. Its basically just housing insulation r-45 thickness, and doesn't need hella prep. If your going from seed or clone they are tried and true. Our tap water is 5.5 pH which is what they suggest you soak the cubes in, but haven't found any problems with non tested water.

also: yeah what are rapid rooters?

YYZ Skinhead said:
I have never tried germinating in rockwool because you have to prep it before using it. I prefer Oasis foam cubes. They are pH neutral and I have always had great results (with good seeds, that is).

edit: are Rapid Rooters peat pellets?

Rapid Rooters are organic "plugs" that work pretty well for both seeds and clones. However, I'm switching from organic to soilless growing (ProMix and chemical nutes), and don't want anything organic in my grow that could harbor fungus or mold.

Are Oasis cubes organic?

I may just plant directly into ProMix instead of using a special seed starter medium.

Auburn1985 said:
Rapid Rooters are organic "plugs" that work pretty well for both seeds and clones. However, I'm switching from organic to soilless growing (ProMix and chemical nutes), and don't want anything organic in my grow that could harbor fungus or mold.

Are Oasis cubes organic?
They are some sort of synthetic floral foam. I stick em into 3.5 " mesh cups and top off with hydrocorn.

You will have no problems running rapid rooters in your soiless setup.

RR's work great and I prefer them over rockwool... Tho I really like the 1 inch cubes too.

I think whatever you choose you will be happy... Just don't overwater them! :D

trillions of atoms said:
You will have no problems running rapid rooters in your soiless setup.

RR's work great and I prefer them over rockwool... Tho I really like the 1 inch cubes too.

I think whatever you choose you will be happy... Just don't overwater them! :D

Cool TOA, thanks man.

Auburn1985 said:
I may just plant directly into ProMix instead of using a special seed starter medium.

That would be the easiest and simplest solution.

Wet

Auburn1985 said:
quote]

I have had algae grow on rockwool, a problem I have never had with rapid rooters. So, I am thinking that rapid rooters may be better than the rockwool for a substance that doesn't harbor fungus or mold.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Auburn1985 said:
quote]

I have had algae grow on rockwool, a problem I have never had with rapid rooters. So, I am thinking that rapid rooters may be better than the rockwool for a substance that doesn't harbor fungus or mold.

OK, thanks. I'll probably stick with Rapid Rooters then...

Latest posts

Back