Roots growing out bottom of pots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinkyelements

Reaction score
So I have two girls on my first grow in years one is about 7 weeks old the other is about 5 1/2. The first is almost 2 ft in height in a 4 gal pot and the other is 1ft 4in. in a two gal. pot.
I have gone through several risky transplants due to bad soil choices and issues that have def. put them through stress. I have now got some things in order and they are looking great, I should have started a journal on this. I switched from 24hr to 18/6 that they have been in for a week, they are showing many pistils and smell yummy. But I would like to switch to 12/12 tomorrow. My prob is they're roots are growing down to the holes of the pots and im not sure they will make it through flower in these pots but do not want to stress them more and delay flowering. I did check them today and it does look like they almost move back up through the pot a little i just dont know if they can stay in these through flower, just wanted to get some opinions on how to go about this now.

Thanks everyone!

4 gal may be fine...the 2 gal I would repot..I like to have them in 5 gal for the flowering stage unless they are very small indicas or autos..they can tripple in size when budding...

2dog- Yes i usually would like them in fives but made that mistake on this and left the one in the two, and they got big quick. I got that advise from you that they could tripple in size. Do you think that would be risky at this point due to all the stress from other transplants and delay flower or even go hermie because i would like the roots pretty solid before flower?

Hey Stinkyelements!

There are worse problems. Sounds like your plants are doing well.

You should check out nvthis' thread in the grow journals- he stacks pots together- sounds like it may help your situation and won't cause any stress to your ladies.

Good luck to you!

Here they are!

new 003.jpg

new 001.jpg

new 006.jpg

BBFan said:
Hey Stinkyelements!

There are worse problems. Sounds like your plants are doing well.

You should check out nvthis' thread in the grow journals- he stacks pots together- sounds like it may help your situation and won't cause any stress to your ladies.

Good luck to you!

Thanks BB Im gonna check that out!

stinky I would transplant because being rootbound will cripple a plant...

Thank you 2dog thats what I needed to hear to make a final decision, so having you reassure me of the possibility helps a lot......

punch holes in bottom of pots place in bigger pots ;)

Zem- I think thats exactly what im going to do, or cut out the bottoms completely. Thanks for stoppin by and giving some tips.

Hey BB"s idea was perfect...lol..or BB's reminding of NV's perfect idea...err something like that! I hope you look into NVthis' gj.........because his condo's as Art labeled them...would be the perfect solution to your problem.

I just mentioned this to somebody yesterday to cut the bottom and put it in a bigger pot.

I can see why the bucket on bucket would be cool to avoid shock but I want my roots to be able to grow in all directions not just down..To me the bottom of the pot idea is a perfect solution later in the grow.. at this point I would repot. But that is just my little ol' opinion. plus I reuse my pots so the idea of damaging them makes me wince..

yeah I hate to cut up a perfectly good pot to 2Dog....but I put my plants in 5 gl when I transplant from 6" pots at about 4-6 wks...as soon as I can tell sex, I kill the males, and put the girls in their final resting place.

Legalize freedom was the first to suggest that to me knowing my current grow, somewhat.

I ended up being able to pull the plants out whole and retransplant i tore some of the stringy roots at the very bottom, hope this does'nt effect them too bad. I think they will be okay.
At this point is there still chance of them going hermie on me from stress?
I was going to wait another week now to flower so the roots can get going again and they look good still.
When do you usually begin with flowering nutes, like 1-2 wks in? Do i want to flush before that or just use water to feed?

whether or not to flush is up to you and there will be different opinions,
i do not flush between veg and flower and i start flower fertz rite away when they go into flower.

I feed nutes on fridays...I just keep with the normal schedule when I do the 12/12...nothing changes but the nute type. I think thats less stressful. congrats on the transplant. I thik I would damage the roots more trying to cut the bottom of a planter out from them than simply transplanting them..

I usually get a root or two growing out the bottom of my bags. I don't think it will kill you.

I do a flush, and I have follow the FF schedule of a transition week, where they get a high dose of P and K, but remain on 18 or 24 hrs of light.

It was you that I mentioned it to...lol??? I knew I mentioned it to somebody.

Latest posts

Back