Secondary Budding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KushBlower12

Smoke em' if ya got em'
Reaction score
So Im interested in doing some secondary budding. The way this works is ... during week five of flowering (when the buds are formed but still premature) you change the light schedule to 24/0 to force back into veg. New growth is going to take place while the buds continue to grow. You do this for four weeks before going back to 12/12. By doing this you can add up to 25% yield.

Has anyone attempted this before? Any advise before I make the plunge?

The reason Im so bent on doing this is that I had some issues with gnats, then a misfortunate over watering when I had someone look after them for me. But now Ive lost alot of my fan leaves and worry about the overall health of my plants. It seems as though the over watering incident doesnt want to go away. The buds are still looking great, resinous as hell with a very sweet smell. But I think this may be the best way to bring my girls back.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks everyone

i've done this and advise against it.. if your plant is already havin problems with stress then this could be the final blow causin her to hermie. also the last plant i did this way became so limby all i ended up with is a bunch of small popcorn buds all over the plant.. as well as a hermie. its hard to come back from over watering, just let it go without water untill the leaves are droopy and you can tell it needs water. if your in week five of flowering then its normal to have leaves turn yellow, plus if you put her back into veg with buds on her those buds will start to die and produce limbs.. then when it goes back into flowering you've lost all the former bud sites to new growth.. just my experiance.. hope this helps. good luck

As far as I know it is a stressful time for the plant going from veg to bloom and you want to go back to veg and then back to bloom? hermie hermie hermie.....

Don't put it back into veg... you want to wait another OVER 8+ weeks???

if you put it back into veg, THC production stops as it goes back into veg state. you will need to wait for all the new limbs that grow out of the once-buds to mature (another few weeks), and then put it back into flower for the complete flowering cycle. you will end up having to do the whole grow over again.

so... I advise against it.

Agreed, adding more stress on top of the over-watering stress will only do more damage, and make your wait for smokable buds waaaaayyy longer than you'd really like. The only time I would ever want to put my plants BACK into veg would be after they've been forced to indicate sex, to eliminate males. Just nurse what you have through to harvest and be happy they didn't just keel over and die from stem rot or somethin. Good luck friend. :)

Im on a similar situation but not by choice, i had some ina cab i made and when out of the house for a couple of days the timer fell to the floor and got stuck ON, so my lights stayed on for 5 days in the middle of my flowering cycle, its been 3 weeks and all my pistills turned orange and dried up, im finally seeing new pistils growing again but it was too late i got 1 hermie that 1 pollenated the whole cab..:aok:

Firepower said:
Im on a similar situation but not by choice, i had some ina cab i made and when out of the house for a couple of days the timer fell to the floor and got stuck ON, so my lights stayed on for 5 days in the middle of my flowering cycle, its been 3 weeks and all my pistills turned orange and dried up, im finally seeing new pistils growing again but it was too late i got 1 hermie that 1 pollenated the whole cab..:aok:

Damn. thanks man. That kinda confirmed it for me. I guess Ill just try and bounce them back the best I can. You guys all helped alot and I appreciate it. Best of luck to you all

Think of it this way---you are delaying the flowering by approx 50% (4 weeks out of 8) for a 25% increase in yield. If you do this twice, you have sacrificed one entire harvest for only 50% of the yield you would have gotten had you flowered 3 crops instead of 2. I won't even get into the stress this causes the plants...

Latest posts

Back