Small Closet Single Grow - opinions wanted.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gangotri

Reaction score
I have set up a small closet for indoor growing. My chalenge is to make it fit but try to get a good harvest by using well the space I have.

Region: Brazil, South America
Natural Room Temperature: 70 to 90 degrees F
The closet: about 2.5 feet high and 1.5 feet wide and deep.
Lights: 20W philips cool daylight eco globe (I know, im short in light but that's for now, soon I'll get a stronger bulb).
Pot: 20 L
Fertilizers: NPK and Nitrate (plus good soil)
Germination: March 11

Once I have divided the plant in two tops by meristem burning I am now bending the stem to use lateral room and save height as I am shot of it.

As this is going to be a quite different growing I plan to post the pictures so that all can keep pace of what is going on.

1. The closet space - all aluminun foil covered.
  2. One week Baby already divided in two tops.
  3. First month birthday, still very small - I think dividing has consumed some energy and retarded grwth a litle.
  4. 40 days low angle bending for better space use.
  5. 43 days wide angle bending, leafs have turned towards light.
  6. Bending detail with secondary growth coming up.

I think it is time to give it more light.

TheCloset.JPG

DuplicatedBaby.JPG

OneMonth.jpg

40daysBendLowAngle.jpg

43daysHighAngleBending.jpg

BendingDetail.jpg

Any advise for quantity of lumens and wats on this closet?

Hey gangotri, your plant is looking quite nice and healthy. I would suggest reading the grow faqs and grow journals on this site, they are filled with expert advise. I think that 5000 lumens per square foot is the rule of thumb. I only used two 26watt cool white cfl bulbs for my plant, and it seemed to work quite nicely. Take a look at my grow journal: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11670

Not bad... you should clone it and sex it. I suggest getting more lights asap, or supplementing with sunlight when sun is out. Common man, Brazil? You have good the mother of all HID's right over head. Anyhow, before I had a hid I had way low wattage but sunlight HELPS ALOT!.

Good luck. Sex soon so you do't waste time on a male, also good to have a clone in the back so when ya harvest ya can put in another plant.

BCBUDZ420 said:
Hey gangotri, your plant is looking quite nice and healthy. I would suggest reading the grow faqs and grow journals on this site, they are filled with expert advise. I think that 5000 lumens per square foot is the rule of thumb. I only used two 26watt cool white cfl bulbs for my plant, and it seemed to work quite nicely. Take a look at my grow journal: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11670

Thanks BCBUDZ, I am doing allright with that light but I think I could do a lot better with two more bulbs.

Dizoelio said:
Not bad... you should clone it and sex it. I suggest getting more lights asap, or supplementing with sunlight when sun is out. Common man, Brazil? You have good the mother of all HID's right over head. Anyhow, before I had a hid I had way low wattage but sunlight HELPS ALOT!.

Good luck. Sex soon so you do't waste time on a male, also good to have a clone in the back so when ya harvest ya can put in another plant.

Yeah I know, sunlight is so strong here, whenever I can I put this plant on sun bath from 12 to 2 afternoon, when the sun is stronger. She likes it ALOT. I feel she's very happy with all that care. Will be a great smoke if keeps going like that!

Looking good!
You might want to continue bending the stem, making it twirl around the edge of your pot. You can see that it's stretching a bit already, so we can expect it to get a lot taller.
Could you explain 'meristem burning'? I've never heard this term before, I'd be only guessing that it's like pinching the top growth.
:farm:

Bubby said:
Looking good!
You might want to continue bending the stem, making it twirl around the edge of your pot. You can see that it's stretching a bit already, so we can expect it to get a lot taller.
Could you explain 'meristem burning'? I've never heard this term before, I'd be only guessing that it's like pinching the top growth.
:farm:

I like the twirl idea Bubby, thanks. I intend to let it grow big before cloning and flowering.

The Apical Meristem as you guessed is that tiny top growth.

To divide your plant in two tops you can just place a drop of water on the top when it is still a baby (from 4 to 10 days) and then place the light close to it at about noe or two inches (cool bulbs are better for this) and leave it like that until the drop evaporates. The Apical meristem will get burnt and will probably duplicate.

Please let me know the results if you try that. It is indeed a good way for getting more bud out of each tree plus it is great for cloning.

The second picture is from an alternating node that happened when the plant was 15 days old. And the first one was more recent, about 30 days. Now it is 45 days old and the two brand new nodes (im growing a 2 top) are also having signs of alternating.

I understand that the appearance alternating nodes depend on the strain but these ones are too early to be there, any comments on this? Would this plant be mature? Does males and females have any difference in the way nodes come to be?

AlternatingNodes2.jpg

AlternatingNodes1.jpg

Lst, supercroping, topping, and putting into flower as soon as you have altenating nodes, will keep your hight down, if you get it into flower right away you may want to keep the pot size down, your root mass is directly related to height , unfuourtanatly yield as well. I have found that supplements such as b52 will keep stretch at hand , keeping the nodes very tight, resulting in reduced hight and full bushy plants. Also you may want to use bud blud or (never used open sesame but i believe it works similarly to bud blood) a few weeks before flower transition, this will bring on your bud set in a minimal amount of time which in effect, shortens the amount of time the plant has to do its normal stretch in flowering. good luck grow with love.
Also i will always supercrop up to six times in veg. this will allow all the side branching and main stalk to thicken up, and even out your canopy, also the thicker stalk will allow for mor nutrient uptake and many fat cola's

thanks leelow, that's exactly what I want - short full bushy plants. I'll try to get b52.

people also talk of bushmasters, for keeping short bush's i havnt used this product but it seems to have favorable feedback. i use discountadvancednutrients.com. they are great, very knowlegable and very reliable,also gives free gifts and free delivery with different purchase amounts.

As my plant got bigger I had to change the nice 20watt full moon bulb (pic1) for the 46watt 4u bulb (pic3). This one should do it until the flowering period. I may even try to flower it with the CFL,lets see how things go.

I am planning to make one or two clones soon and grow it outdoors as I am here in Brazil at the sunny season. I heard that in good soil and with a lot of sun and water it can get as high as 10 feet depending on the strain... Im dying to give it a try.

fullmoon.jpg

bulbs.jpg

MoreLight4u.jpg

It's no big deal at all to grow in brazil right? I would just grow monsters outside. BTW...try and get more bulbs on that plant.

Its really not a big deal once the sun is constant and temperature is right. But it is also not legal here so outdoors must be done with extra care.
Despite that we have a new law to be voted that makes legar for consumers to have three plants at home. Im only growing indoors because I live alone in a small apartment, cause if I had a yard my phriend...

since nobody has mentioned it that foil eventually will burn the hell out of your plant (less) if any at all is best , especially if adding more lights in there , just my opinion but ... (experienced in this i am)

lol yoda is funny...

maybe if you dont trust that opinion you should put a little bit of the foil in there to see if it directs that light on the plant for it to burn that part

Uk1 said:
since nobody has mentioned it that foil eventually will burn the hell out of your plant (less) if any at all is best , especially if adding more lights in there , just my opinion but ... (experienced in this i am)

lol yoda is funny...

UK1, did you get those burns on your plants from using foil on closet?

Today, may 1st this plant completes 50 days. It has been great so far, a bit slow because of the two top thing and low light I gave.

But now I wanna see it grow: I thew more light on it and I am giving it a lot more water. Wich by the way she is absorbing as crazy now that shes a big girl.

Ten more days and I'll start thinking about sexing, cloning and flowering. Even If its a male it will provide me some good hash, no doubt of that!

DSCN3351.JPG

DSCN3350.JPG

Latest posts

Back