Carbon Filter for exhaust out a 2 story home??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffon

Reaction score
I am exhausting out my roof. It is a two story house. I was wondering is it necessary to have a carbon filter for my exhaust on a closet grow? There are only 5 plants right now, and they are in early veg. stage so it doesn't smell too bad. Will my neighbors smell this? Or will it be dispersed well enough where I won't need a carbon filter?

Also, any recommendations on an inline fan? I have two 2.5" pvc pipes that join into one 2.5 pipe. There is three feet of this. It then goes into a bottle neck type connection where it opens up to 4" The 4" runs about 15 feet, Only two bends in the pipe. It does angle up though where it is raised up about 5 feet in the air at a 45 degree angle. The actual grow room is 5 feet tall 2 feet wide and 1.5 feet deep.

I don't know, I guess it depends on the air movement around your house, the closeness of your neighbors, the strain being grown, etc. But I would say "Better safe than sorry". You are a home owner, so you can probably afford he $60-100 for the carbon filter and the 10-20 minutes setting it up :)
My sense of smell has been completely destroyed due to allergies and smoking cigs, but I've been at a friends apartment smoking on a balcony on the third floor and watched people walking around at ground level commenting that it stinks like weed. Filters aren't overly expensive and can be connected easily enough, go for it.

As far as inline exhaust fans go the one you want will be predicated on the cubic feet of your grow space. How big is the closet?

well its a grow cabinet... and the dimensions are 5 feet tall 2 feet wide and 1.5 feet deep.

At only 15 cubic feet any exhaust fan is going to do the job really. If I was you (and this is just my opinion), you should go ahead and flower your plants immediately, find the males and pull them. I'm not sure if you are growing from seed or clone but either way you have a small area for that many plants. Your space is not very large and it will be difficult to fit more than 3 fully mature plants in that space at one time. If allowed to veg for a couple weeks ONE plant would fill it up by the time it was done flowering.

They are on the 24th day. How can I tell which ones are male and which are female this early on?

you have to flower them before you can tell what sex they are . clone them and then flower the clones

If you can afford a carbon scrubber than its a good idea no matter what. 5 plants flowering are more than likley to stink. Especially if you have a window open near the grow closet. Also even if it doesnt stink this time around next go at it you might get a strain that stinks real bad.

this is just grow area. The lights do not have any cooling system to them. They are a 175 watt and a 150 watt system. the cabinet is divided into two sections. (flowering and vegging)

1) 5 plants right now

2) grow room is 5 feet tall 2 feet wide and 1.5 feet deep

3) cabinet is divided into two sections. (flowering and vegging)

Dude? 5 plants in 2'x1.5' (3 sq ft) is way way over doing it. If you've got them in half that, that's only 1.5 sq ft. What happens if they are all females? :huh: :confused2:

When you say "out the roof" do you mean out the roof or into the attic space?

That would be awesome if they are all females! I'm thinking with my heat issue and low humidity, they are most likely going to be all males though :( If they are all females that is ok... I started two of them a couple weeks after the rest so they are much smaller right now. And one of the plants looks really bad, and I think it's going to take a while for it to grow.

I am venting through the attic out the roof. So the air is actually going out of the roof. :)

I was planning on pulling the air out. I have a small fan at the very end of the system. It is one of those inline fans from menards. I think it is only 50 cfm and its not doing what I want it too. I need something much more powerful. My temps with the cabinet closed are mid 90's Door open mid 80's

Hi,

I think the small PVC isn't going to move enough air regardless of what type of fan you put on your ventilation system. I've done many grows in a 2 x 4 x 8 closet in a bedroom with a window A/C and have learned what works and a few things that don't when it comes to keeping a tight space like this cool. For my first setup in the closet several years ago I used to use a 600w hps in a conventional air cooled hood with 4" ventilation holes. I had a 6" Ostberg 630 cfm inline fan pulling air through the hood with a 6" to 4" reducer on the output and it pushed it up through 4" PVC routed through my attic to an existing attic vent. PVC works great but even with the Vortex going at 100% I couldn't bring temps down below 80 without leaving the closet door open an inch or two.

Recently I started growing in that closet again and this time I made several changes. The biggest changes are going with a 6" cool tube style of reflector and 6" ventilation duct. I'm still using a 6" 630 cfm inline fan but this time I have it up in the attic pulling up from the closet. I have a 40lb. can filter mounted high in my closet and I have a 14" piece of 6" semi rigid duct connecting the output of the filter to my cool tube. I come off the cool tube through an elbow connector and up through the ceiling of my closet using 6" semi rigid duct. I'll post a couple of pics...

In the attic I have my inline fan in a large cardboard box which is lined with sound proofing foam... a DIY exhaust muffler to help with the sound of rushing air... I exhaust the air directly into the box and it escapes out of open flaps on the top of the box nicely scrubbed and odor free. This setup really works great and I can keep my temps consistently about 3-4 degrees above the ambient temps in my bedroom. I don't have any type of active intake fan but I do have a 4" cutout for air intake and this powerful fan pulls plenty of fresh cool air from not only the intake whole but also from under and around the cracks in the door and closet. I was going to try moving my ballast out of the closet but the fan is handling the temps very well and it's a Quantum digital 1K and it doesn't get very hot anyhow... You can see it up on my can filter so the heat is constantly getting pulled off of it with the ventilation...

With your setup I think that you'd have to use a similar inline 6" Eclipse/Ostberg high output fan. You can hang a can filter in your attic and connect it to the output of the 6" fan, also hung in your attic using rubber straps to decouple any vibration noise. Connect the input of the fan to a piece of 6" duct that is run down to your grow box. Your fan will have plenty of pull to get the heat off of the lights and it will push air through the filter in your attic, scrubbing the air. You can simply let the scrubbed air escape into the attic.

I hope these ideas help to get your temps down to a usable range for flowering as you won't like what you get out of there with it in the 80's and 90's.

Peace!:cool:

Latest posts

Back