Smart Meters what are they? Ans should we be worried?

• Thread starter degenerative_disc
  • Start date
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

degenerative_disc

Title says it all folks!

Who knows anything about these meters that are coming and should we be doing anything before they get here?

Ours is coming in the next couple of weeks what should we do if anything and what should we do diferent after it gets here?

Cheers!!!

I don't know for sure, but if you are running you lights when they put it in. It will record that electric usage as your normal and and should cause no problems or worries at lates dates. I thought the smart meters sent their reading to the Co. with out a meter reader coming by

I'm not 100% sure but I think these new meters alert the electric co. to spikes in useage. If your running a large scale opperation they would be able to see when your plants go into flower, a huge spike in useage followed 12 hous later by a huge drop in useage.
And Ozzy's right, the original intent was to be able to read the meters at the office, thereby allowing the power company to add a few more people to the unemployement roles.

ozzydiodude said:
I don't know for sure, but if you are running you lights when they put it in. It will record that electric usage as your normal and and should cause no problems or worries at lates dates. I thought the smart meters sent their reading to the Co. with out a meter reader coming by

This is exactly right. no need for concern it is just to keep from having to send someone out each month. I haven't seen a power checker in a long time.

Ok so am i going to get nabbed now when the hook this up an I a running my 400w mh and 2 100w hps lights on an 18 hour cycle then I put them down to 12 hours for flower I am going to get a knock at the door?

Cheers!!!

I doubt it at 600 watts. If it was 3000 or so, then maybe. 600 just isn't a huge amount.

DD

Thanks man are you sure? I have gone to great lengths to keep things from everyone not to have the freaking hydro company get me! How are you so sure they wont come nocking at 600 watts? lets not forget dehumidifier fans and other thing running besides light right?

Cheers!!!

No, I'm not sure.:eek:

But think about it, even a small space heater will use close to 1000 watts or AC's or a bunch of incandescent light bulbs.

600 or so watts just isn't that far off the norm.

DD

I suspect the only spike they would take notice of would be 5000watt +
there's people with entertainment systems that run that much even.
if your really worried, get a generator.

its not anything noticeable 600w. my TV uses 450w and thats on most the day (its 50inchs, smaller ones use less obviously. they would never suspect anything from that.

Your just a TV lover if they ask lol.

Actually, a space heater uses closer to 1500 watts. Basically, you are looking at 3 computers in use 18 hours a day, 30-38 a month. no big deal.

No worries. I pay $400 and run more equipment than you would believe. Spikes and all. Its about cost savings for them, and they make revenue off you. So...

Don't lose any sleep over this...not a big deal unless you are running a big op...

degenerative_disc said:
Ok so am i going to get nabbed now when the hook this up an I a running my 400w mh and 2 100w hps lights on an 18 hour cycle then I put them down to 12 hours for flower I am going to get a knock at the door?

Cheers!!!
Chill Brother....you probably won't notice them being there changing the thing it's that quick. The people who do this work and usually your meter reader are ordinary joes working on contract and have no time for what you're using.
These meters are crap. They were put up in some states and removed from what I hear cause getting readings from some places especially rural is a beatch!
It's suppose to allow the hydro company to get direct readings saving on the guy coming around. You should pay attention to the rates as they have peak and offset hour rates, meaning you might want to change to a night cycle.
BTW the signals are easy to block on the meters but my best advice is to pay your bill on time and they won't give a rats a$$ how many watts you use.:hubba: Serious, the company is only going to question anything (1000's of watts) until you become late on your bill and now a days if you miss one some form of contact is initiated and escalates from there. USE WHAT YOU NEED BUT PAY YOUR BILL ON TIME!

I saw a news report not long ago that they busted a grower in Detroit....why???

Becuse he had a 2500 dollar electric bill that he had not paid in 4 months...They even said in the report that had he just paid his bill it would have never tipped anyone off to what he was doing.

Ok Folks i think I am understanding. Im so small no big worries just make sure i pay my bill and it should all be good as long as I also TELL NO ONE!!!

Thanks all!

Cheers!!!

DD, i got my smart metre a year and a half ago, no issues yet, i have a bout 1200 watts, the thing with these metres is that they allow the power company to charge different rates at peek usage times and vice versa,

for example my KW/Hr is higher from 5pm to 9pm and cheaper from 9pm-5am.

My last grow indoors I moved into a house and it had a smart meter on it. The smart meter just makes it easier and cheaper than sending out meter readers. I had 1600 watts of lights, and lets not forget the fans. Never had no knocks at the door. Pay your bill and tell no one and your safe.

The only thing I have heard about smart meters is that they are pissing off a lot of people here in Cali. Main complaint is people are being over charged for there usage of power. Some reports have said that bills can jump up 25% or more. I'm in the sticks so awhile before they get me.

Latest posts

Back