Smoking while pregnant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberquest

Junior GreenThumb
Reaction score
just wondered how many moms (or members whos wives smoked) while they were pregnent.

this is why i am curisous: "Studies have shown that children who were exposed to marijuana during pregnancy sometimes have problems focusing their attention and solving problems."

my sons mom smoked the entire time she was carrying my son, and we arent talking the occasional puff, we are talking full blown daily smoking.

this past week my sons kindergarden teacher pulled me to the side and informed me that they were going to do some advanced testing on my son in reading and math because he is much more advanced then any of the other students in his class.
he has no problem paying attention of focusing on what he is doing. and if anyone would care challange him on the XBOX my money is on him, he can even enter cheat codes in games which even i have trouble with. :D

i just thought it was another typical stereotype of marijuana scaring your everyday MISINFORMED consumer. shame its the companies and politicians with all the money calling all the shots. :rolleyes:

Lol I know a woman who is about to have a baby and she smokes all the time just not blunts for some reason.

Research studies have shown that women who use recreational drugs during pregnancy tend to use marijuana, thinking that it won't harm the fetus as much as other illegal substances. Although no clear-cut deformity or syndrome is known to occur due to marijuana use during pregnancy (as there is from alcohol use, for example, with fetal alcohol syndrome), there are possible dangers.
First of all, smoking anything during pregnancy deprives the fetus of oxygen. Just as smoking tobacco is discouraged in pregnant women, so is smoking marijuana. Smoking any type of substance interferes with the fetus's blood supply. This can mean the fetus doesn't get enough oxygen, and s/he may be born smaller in both weight and length. Smaller babies have a higher risk of other problems after birth, such as infections, severe jaundice, difficulty feeding, breathing problems, low blood sugar, difficulty regulating temperature, bleeding into the brain, and problems with vision.
Secondly, marijuana is frequently and unpredictably "cut" with other substances. So the fetus may be unintentionally exposed to other potentially harmful substances in addition to marijuana.
Marijuana can also be transmitted through breast milk. Tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC (the main active ingredient in marijuana), can be as much as 8 times higher in breast milk than in the mother's bloodstream. Babies whose mothers have used marijuana during pregnancy or while breastfeeding sometimes seem jittery and difficult to comfort. They may have some delay in the development of their motor skills, although studies have concluded that this delay may not be permanent. In any case, it is advisable not to smoke marijuana while breastfeeding.
Since we're on the subject of substance use during pregnancy and breastfeeding, if you already drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes, it's in your baby's (and your) best health interests to stop when you are pregnant. During the nursing period, it's commonly recommended that mothers drink only modest amounts of alcohol, delay breastfeeding for 2 - 3 hours after drinking alcohol, and avoid exposing the baby to second-hand smoke.
It should be noted that much of the research on the effects of prenatal exposure to marijuana has been complicated and inconclusive. This is mainly because it is difficult to isolate the effects of marijuana from other possible factors such as alcohol, other drug use, socioeconomic status, family structure, and mother's personality. All in all, the healthiest choice for you and your baby is to avoid using recreational chemicals, including marijuana, while pregnant. As difficult as it may be to change one's lifestyle, taking a break from smoking cigarettes and joints, and drinking alcohol and using other drugs, can help set your baby up for a long, healthy life.

If it's bad for us .. it's bad for the baby .. tobacco that is ! No conclusive evidence about Mary J

Hope this helps ... peace :)

IMHO any kind of smoking or drinking is bad for a pregnant woman.

I gotta agree with TBG on this one. Any kind of outside substance that isn't food or drink has to have some kind of affect on a child during development. Maybe some kids are lucky and dodge the bullet, others though, others aren't so lucky. I am living with two reasons right now as to why smoking pot during development is bad. My girls niece and nephew. Her sister smoked the entire time they were baking in the oven and the kids can't concentrate worth ****. It is so bad, that the boy get so excited and talks so fast that when he tries to say anything he starts to stutter because his mouth can't keep up with his brain.

no fair pussum, you cant use them kids as an example, them are satans spawns :rofl: just kidding. but i do think some of your neice and nephews problems stem from after birth treatments :( a child thats starving for attention will act much differently then one that is interacted with. my son gets bad sometimes too when he wants attention, but 98% of the time is one of the most well behaved kids you will ever meet.

my sons moms doctor told her that if he could pick one thing for her to stop doing, smoking cigs or smoking pot, he would rather her stop smoking cigs. he obviously wanted her to stop both, he was just making a point if he could only choose one for her to stop.

haha, well Uncle Pussum laid down the law this weekend. I told kids and mom how it was going to be. Kids will start bedding down at 9:00 P.M., and mom is going this week to get her **** started. If not, I told them they can sleep in the car that is about to be taken back by her ex-husband. They did not fight with me.

Seriously though, smoking cigs I would say is worse than pot due to all the chemm's added to it, but still an outside chemm is an outside chemm.

yeah mu point wanst to tell pregnant mother its ok to smoke, i just read that and thought it was interesting cause my son was ahead of the rest of the class. but maybe the rest of the class were crack babies, who knows in this day and age.

Maybe your son is gonna be the next Einstein.

peace :)

This is interesting. I had horrendous morning sickness during both pregnancies and the ONLY thing that helped was mj. So after doing a bunch of research I decided it was better to provide my baby with nutrients and fluids as well as a little THC...rather than have the baby get nothing since I was too sick to eat or drink.

My kids are both in school now and both are very gifted both academically and with sports. I am not suggesting that anyone smoke anything during pregnancy, but I always wonder how my kids would be if they were deprived of nutrients in their early development (due to my morning sickness).

I'm sure there will never be a study on pregnant women smoking pot, but for me it worked out great.

My better half smoked mj with all 3 of ours. I used to get peeved but she quit smoking cigs though. My oldest doesn't do too well in school. Not because he doesn't have the capacity, he's just lazy...lol. My 2 youngest make straight As' and **'. On another note, I could have swore I read mj has more toxins than tobacco but I may be wrong.

Well why dont i just say for all of us, dont smoke crack, smoke pot!:D

the lady rasta smoked while pregnant ,,,my kids seem ok ,but if she had to do it again she would not smoke ,,,god forbid the child was born with something wrong with it,,,she would never forgive herself ,,,,just not worth it ,,,9 months is not that long ,,,,p,l,r

I gotta say with morning sickness 2 or 3 times a day, I couldn't keep anything down. The doctor gave me a prescription, however Smoking mj was the only thing that kept the food down. My twins are 16 and extremely intelligent and well behaved over acheivers....
One of them just taught his calculus class how to solve the rubiks cube, and they love to learn.
I haven't seen a messed up kid yet from a pot smoking mom, I have seen some messed up kids from drunk, high on crack, and depressed mom's.

Smoking while pregnant probably won't cause any defects like cigs and alcohol can. Frankly only thing i'd worry about the effects of mairjuana on children is if they start while still in middle/high school. Some kids just don't know how to control their consumption at that time, too easy for them to fall into a jag.

I did a ton of research on this a while back. Alcohol is definitely HORRIBLE for a developing fetus...especially when used in excess in the first trimester.

Cigs, I never looked into since I;ve never been a smoker (of cigarettes, that is).

I'd have to dig up the article, but there has been a lot of research on this and if memory serves, the THC molecule is too large to penetrate the placenta. I'll see if I can dig that paper up.

Anyway, mj was a lifesaver for me in the first trimester because I couldn;t keep the prenatal vitamins down (or anything else for that matter). I was worried about spina bifida which can occur if the baby doesn't get adequate folic acid in the first few weeks of pregnancy. Anyway mj allowed me to keep vitamins and fluids down until I my morning sickness went away at about 12 weeks. After that I was on the straight and narrow and avoided mj and everything else for the duration of both pregnancies.

I'm not advocating that anyone smoke anything during pregnancy, but just pointing out that in my case it was the lesser of 2 evils.

I'm reading some good stuff. I'm gonna be a dad in about 7 months, and I know my ladie's been wondering about this too... she hasn't been smoking mj... but to my dissaproval has kept on smoking cigs (she's convinced herself nothing will happen except maybe low birth rate, but that's not that bad) :/

Whey a women is pregnant, the baby does everything that she does, with absolutely no choice of the baby, of course.

If you're a pregnant women and you smoke MJ or cigs or cigars or whatever, you are *FORCING* the baby to also smoke. The baby is getting exactly the same chemicals that you are.

Cigs have LOTS of chemicals in them that may subject a child to problems that will occur much later in it's life. You've increased it's possibility of cancer LATER, you've increased the possibility of poor health when this new person is in it's 50's and 60's. You've caused it to have a shorter life span...

If your baby could talk, do you think she or he would thank you?

I doubt it.

If you're addicted to nicotine and can't stop by yourself, then get a doctor to help you. STOP MAKING YOUR BABY SMOKE CIGS.

This isn't my opinion. It's a known scientific FACT.

Please, stop smoking those cigs while your new baby is smoking them with you.

Don't make excuses for yourself. It's an addiction. Your baby shouldn't have to smoke them because you're too weak to stop.

It's that simple.

YES, YOU ARE HURTING YOUR BABY. IF YOU CONTINUE TO DO SO AFTER READING THIS, THEN YOU ARE DOING IT ON PURPOSE.

Shame on you.

Latest posts

Back