Soil looks really funny, should I be scared?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candyman

Secret Macgyver
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am a new grower. Last week I potted four seeds I had germinated, and for some reason only one came out of the soil. That one seems to be doing pretty good though. I do have worries about the soil though. I found a huge bag of nutrient enriched soil in the gardening shed behind my house and put it in a measuring cup where I made a makeshift home for seedlings to become bigger plants. The soil looks like it has small clusters of crumbly golden soil and it looks like it should be a problem but I don't know. Could someone tell me if this soil looks okay or not and what I should do?

3daysin.JPG

Did you prepare the soil? alway break up soil clumbs water then mix in additives(compost, sand,perlite, etc) 1 thing at a time mix or stir in, then add next thing. By mixing each component in one at a time you get a great soil mixture for ladies that is ready to promote healthy roots and happy plants.

slowmo77: I have a hole in the bottom of the container where water can drain.

ozzydiodude: I did break up crumbs and everything but this isn't how the soil looked before I potted things in here. I only used nutrient enriched soil used for regular gardening, nothing else.

it looks kinda hard packed is that so ! is there any sand mix included in whatever bag it came in or is it a top siol i.e for grass etc looks to me like salt is dried out on top of it.. anyone know what you are up to that maybe disagrees ie ..salt !

What would be a good way to loosen the soil and scrape off the top layer without disturbing the plant?

EDIT:

I watered the soil, it seems that the soil was really dry. It's getting cold out so I also covered the container with a clear CD spool cover to keep it warm.

purplephazes: It is soil that is used to grow vegetables and pretty looking flowers, heh.

no prob lets just flow with your other post as it is the same subject ( grow journals )

skallie said:
SEEDLINGS HEALTHY DONT WORRY

skallie
haha his plants ended up geting stolen and then they got returned with the roots cut from them (so it goes ) still have'nt heard anything about his grow lately ! he acquired some more seeds !! ..but thats about the most of it !

purplephazes said:
haha his plants ended up geting stolen and then they got returned with the roots cut from them (so it goes ) still have'nt heard anything about his grow lately ! he acquired some more seeds !! ..but thats about the most of it !
OMFG you are joking yes???:D

candyman said:
Hello everyone. I am a new grower. Last week I potted four seeds I had germinated, and for some reason only one came out of the soil. That one seems to be doing pretty good though. I do have worries about the soil though. I found a huge bag of nutrient enriched soil in the gardening shed behind my house and put it in a measuring cup where I made a makeshift home for seedlings to become bigger plants. The soil looks like it has small clusters of crumbly golden soil and it looks like it should be a problem but I don't know. Could someone tell me if this soil looks okay or not and what I should do?

Do not use nutrient enriched soil--it releases nutrients every time you water and seedling should not have any nutes for 3-4 weeks. Most growing medium needs things added, like perlite, lime, peat moss, etc, etc--you cannot just throw your seeds in any old bag of dsoil you find lying around.. Get rid of the foil. You need more than just a single hole in the bottom of the pot--you need some kind of fill in the bottom of the pot like rocks to aid in drainage and keep the drainage holes (plural) clear.

Latest posts

Back