Soil ph question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godspeedsuckah

Godspeed out!
Reaction score
My batch of roots soil keeps jumping ph to 8 for some reason beyond my understanding. I have spent weeks reading and trying different things to fix this problem but it still remains the same. I did not add any hydrated or dolomite lime to the mix, only some worm castings and a little bit of bat guano. Could the reason be watering with blackstrap once a week? Anyone have any experience with this happening, and if so, what caused it and how do you fix the problem? Thanks. Godspeed.

Molasses should be about 5. Could the buffers and adjusters in the Roots be reacting to the low pH in the molasses???????????

nouvellechef said:
Hmm. Get in some of the Lilly Miller Soil Sweet from the Depot. Big bag for like $9. I use alot of it for mothers and they luv it.

Sounds good but what does it do and what will it do in this case of PH run off at 8.0? I'm curious myself.

PencilHead said:
Molasses should be about 5. Could the buffers and adjusters in the Roots be reacting to the low pH in the molasses???????????

I am stumped as well LOL.

jackson1 said:
Sounds good but what does it do and what will it do in this case of PH run off at 8.0? I'm curious myself.

I have tested the runoff and it is at 6.2 - 6.3 but the soil ph is 8, no clue lol. I am pretty sure the soil tester is accurate because I seem to keep having issues with what looks like calcium and magnesium lockout.

nouvellechef said:
Its a buffer to bring it down in the 7 range. The plants luv it too. 3tb per gal of soil is what I do. Its powdered and acts fast. I have also dissolved garden sulpher in water too.

I picked up some earthjuice ph crystals which are suppose to lower the ph. I have been sprinkling a little bit on the soil and then watering. It seems to lower the ph in the soil for a few days and then it goes right back up to 8.

Never use the EJ crystals. Hope it steadies it. If not try the Lilly's, bag will last along time and it does a great job at keeping it steady. Once you get down the perfect amount, you can use the larger pellets to amend soil for the entire cycle. GL

godspeedsuckah said:
I have tested the runoff and it is at 6.2 - 6.3 but the soil ph is 8, no clue lol. I am pretty sure the soil tester is accurate because I seem to keep having issues with what looks like calcium and magnesium lockout.

Go by the runoff, not the soil. Soil pH can vary widely from spot to spot and soil testers are usually not very accurate.

I'd for sure get the Lilly's Sweet or Dolomitic Lime. Your runoff is kinda on the low side. Either one of those are cheap and I would bet, fix you right up.

DD

godspeedsuckah said:
My batch of roots soil keeps jumping ph to 8 for some reason beyond my understanding. I have spent weeks reading and trying different things to fix this problem but it still remains the same. I did not add any hydrated or dolomite lime to the mix, only some worm castings and a little bit of bat guano. Could the reason be watering with blackstrap once a week? Anyone have any experience with this happening, and if so, what caused it and how do you fix the problem? Thanks. Godspeed.

So I was just talking to DD about this on another thread. Molasses feeds primarily bacteria. Bacteria ultimately raise your pH in most cases. An initial application will surely lower pH but after microbial interaction it will rise with time. Worm castings and Bat guano also feed bacteria. Your on the right track, just the wrong ratio's. Imo your developing a bacterial strong medium, typically higher in pH. Although I believe roots soil is Coco based, it can sustain allot of bacteria.

Try eliminating the Molasses for a few feedings - or at least lower applications and add a fungus rich food. Something based in humic acids, grain meal or sea weed. In the future, Dolomite may be a solid addition. I'm thinking adding a fungal rich ingredient will improve things drastically. Did you happen to add any microbial life? Beneficial Fungi may be the best cure.

jmansweed said:
So I was just talking to DD about this on another thread. Molasses feeds primarily bacteria. Bacteria ultimately raise your pH in most cases. An initial application will surely lower pH but after microbial interaction it will rise with time. Worm castings and Bat guano also feed bacteria. Your on the right track, just the wrong ratio's. Imo your developing a bacterial strong medium, typically higher in pH. Although I believe roots soil is Coco based, it can sustain allot of bacteria.

Try eliminating the Molasses for a few feedings - or at least lower applications and add a fungus rich food. Something based in humic acids, grain meal or sea weed. In the future, Dolomite may be a solid addition. I'm thinking adding a fungal rich ingredient will improve things drastically. Did you happen to add any microbial life? Beneficial Fungi may be the best cure.

No I didn't add any beneficial fungi to the mix but I will be tomorrow. Can I just top dress it since they are all in containers now?

I do have dolomite lime which I will top dress in tomorrow with the next watering. As far as stress goes, they are showing what looks like a slight deficiency in calcium and magnesium; I haven't tried to rectify that yet, just been watering them when needed.

Hey Gss, Those Ca/Mg issues will probably get worse if ignored. Sure it's not Fe or something unavailable at higher pH? Deficiencies often resemble one another at first. Analyzing the grow will typically point you in the right direction.

Personally, I avoid top dressing Dolomite. Have you considered making a tea? One rich in Fungal life for example would probably benefit you greatly. It's relatively simple with some research and under organic conditions can really enhance the over all quality of your grow.

Without Teas, adding Fungal life is still relatively easy. Many products provide it. Myco is a fungi, frequently applied w/ Trichoderma - both highly beneficial. Pirahna, Root Maximizer and Mycogrow are a few examples that add these organisms. Once applied - it takes a little time for populations to thrive but they will with good water and rich soil.

Remember, in organic conditions pH means very little. The plants health is the real signal that balanced microbial life is present. In regards to MJ growth, microbial life and plants work in unison. They have developed together and thrive together. We simply must provide an environment so this scenario will occur.

Thanks - Jman

What I think is your worrying way to much about the Ph.
I have bought maybe 4 pallets of Roots soil and never had an issue.
I want to tell you that about a year ago my best buddy started bugging on the ph of super soil and I spent a year fiinding out nothing. Its already buffered with oyster shell and seems to buffer its ingredients very well.

As Jmansweed said PH really means little when your growing in ****.

You also seem to want to tinker with your soil and beware of that as changes take place painfully slow in soil and anything you add may actually cause problems.

Sounds like your using way to much molasses I only start that application in at day 45 of bud and without a citric acid kicker to break it down your just wasting sugar. You cant stimulate the krebs cycle without both sugars and acids.

There is no reason you cant grow a plant full term in roots soil adding nothing and the only negative would be some early fading.

Sub

Don't know about the others mentioned, but MycoGrow Soluble is cheap, costing ~$6/oz, enough to make 12 gallons of solution and ~$1.75 for shipping. Fungi Perfecti is the seller.

hxxp://www.fungi.com

Very good stuff. Check out the site to see everything in it.

DD

Sounds like you got stellar answers, GL.

PS, the thing I dont like about top feeding is residue. I like clean, crisp, green leaves... :)

Thanks everyone for some awesome answers, and sub I think you are very correct, I am worrying too much ;) Our local shop carries the fungi you guys are telling me about so i will take a spin there and pick some up. I definitely don't want to tinker with the soil too much, I have done that before and had awful results. LOL. There is a lot to keep learning about organics that I didn't even take into consideration and I am very grateful you guys have helped me. I also grow in MG soil and have off and on for a long time and I don't remember having any ph concerns with that. I will continue to grow organically as well, its more of a love affair now LOL.

Latest posts

Back