Soil Watering Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PsyJiM

Yiiiiha
Reaction score
I read lot of guides....i watch lot of videos....i check t0nZ of topics...
but i dident find how often i need to water my plants in soil...
when i was think to start grow i was thinking hYdRo...
but no money for now so i start soil...

i put 6 plants a month ago only one its cool now i water them every day but not so much or too little

yesterday i put 4 more... i dont like to make some mistakes like before i will care those more :)

TyA aLL

PJ

PsyJiM said:
I read lot of guides....i watch lot of videos....i check t0nZ of topics...
but i dident find how often i need to water my plants in soil...
when i was think to start grow i was thinking hYdRo...
but no money for now so i start soil...

i put 6 plants a month ago only one its cool now i water them every day but not so much or too little

yesterday i put 4 more... i dont like to make some mistakes like before i will care those more :)

and something else i took a 15-30-15 is it good ?

TyA aLL

PJ

u growing in soil and your watering everyday???

HI,

The best rule of thumb you can use is to let the top 2-3" of soil dry out thoroughly before you water again. You can also pick up your pots after watering thoroughly to get a feel for their fed weight vs dry weight too. Marijuana is a plant that likes to be thoroughly watered and then allowed to dry out well before watering again.

Happy Growing!:cool:

You don't want to water too much man. If left constantly too wet your roots will get root rot and become very week causing your plant's to eventually. Like dirty said let your girls drink up almost all the water then full soak them again, they will thank and reward you for this come harvest time lol.

hugs4nuggs420 said:
You don't want to water too much man. If left constantly too wet your roots will get root rot and become very week causing your plant's to eventually. Like dirty said let your girls drink up almost all the water then full soak them again, they will thank and reward you for this come harvest time lol.

sorry deleted the word "die" after the eventually by accident. Should have read my post before actually posting it.

But seriously constantly super wet is bad!! Root rot bad!!

agreed.. i let it get crusty dry b4 watering again.. and when u start using certain size pots and going to bigger 1's jus find a system and see how long it takes normally and water on a scedule..for ex. i start in pete moss and let em dry b4 watering normally 1-2 days between each.. when i plant it in a 4-6 in pot it normally is every 4-6 days for watering and when i transplant again to a bigger pot its normally every 7-10 days.. jus find a schedule and stick to it.. routine and repitition is best.. happy growin

dirtyolsouth said:
The best rule of thumb you can use is to let the top 2-3" of soil dry out thoroughly before you water again. You can also pick up your pots after watering thoroughly to get a feel for their fed weight vs dry weight too. Marijuana is a plant that likes to be thoroughly watered and then allowed to dry out well before watering again.

:yeahthat:

Right on, DOS!

Psy, what size pots do you have your plants in? The smaller the pot, the more you have to water. Like DOS said, water them thoroughly, then let them go a while.

Most beginners (like myself) want to do TOO MUCH for our plants-too much water, too much fertilizer, too much........

Just take it easy and watch your plants. I'm not going all "Zen" on you, but the plants will tell you.

You can get a moisture meter pretty cheap-get one and let your soil go almost to the DRY zone before rewatering. I believe you'll like the results.

AG

It's a natural process like you know when your kid is hungry, or the dog has to go out...grow a few and you will learn how...you can read all you want, but you can't read a plant until you have grown it.

The lamp i use in those plants its LPS
ill get an MH/HPS system with a reflector and a grow tent soon...(and hydro grrr :rant: )
im shame about those pics atm :p

:stuff-1125699181_i_

Well for seedlings you don't need to worry about too much light, saying that it's already looking like it's stretching a bit so you may want to try and get your light a bit closer. Use the back of your hand as an indicator, place your hand well under the light and move it up slowly, when you feel your hand getting a bit warm thats the ideal height for the top of your plants to be at.

As for watering, well you've got pretty small pots there but also as the plant itself is small it won't be drinking too much too quickly, just as a guess i'd say you want approx 150-200ml of water every 2 (maybe 3) days. There's a good sticky link on here somewhere about the 'wet and dry' cycle, this explains what everyone's talking about above. Problem is there isn't a set rule as to how much water you'll need, low humidty will dry your soil out a bit quicker, drainage and water retention of the soil is a factor and simply put some strains of MJ drink more water than others! My rule of thumb is as mentioned above, get a feel for the weight of the pot when it's completley dry and then remember that for the future, thats feeding time. Don't worry about the soil drying out too much either, mine go bone dry before I water mine (due to it being a long distance away) and mine have shown no bad effects - well except the 9 days stint without watering!! Even after that, a feed and 2 days later they were looking fine again. I worry more about over watering than under watering, root rot or mould etc are a bigger problem than them getting a bit thirsty.

PsyJiM said:
The lamp i use in those plants its LPS

what is lps? I tried looking it up, is it low-pressure sodium? or is it a typo?

emuman said:
what is lps? I tried looking it up, is it low-pressure sodium? or is it a typo?

Its a type of low preasure sodium i dont know watts but its very strong ... for now.

x Big Dave x said:
Well for seedlings you don't need to worry about too much light, saying that it's already looking like it's stretching a bit so you may want to try and get your light a bit closer. Use the back of your hand as an indicator, place your hand well under the light and move it up slowly, when you feel your hand getting a bit warm thats the ideal height for the top of your plants to be at.

As for watering, well you've got pretty small pots there but also as the plant itself is small it won't be drinking too much too quickly, just as a guess i'd say you want approx 150-200ml of water every 2 (maybe 3) days. There's a good sticky link on here somewhere about the 'wet and dry' cycle, this explains what everyone's talking about above. Problem is there isn't a set rule as to how much water you'll need, low humidty will dry your soil out a bit quicker, drainage and water retention of the soil is a factor and simply put some strains of MJ drink more water than others! My rule of thumb is as mentioned above, get a feel for the weight of the pot when it's completley dry and then remember that for the future, thats feeding time. Don't worry about the soil drying out too much either, mine go bone dry before I water mine (due to it being a long distance away) and mine have shown no bad effects - well except the 9 days stint without watering!! Even after that, a feed and 2 days later they were looking fine again. I worry more about over watering than under watering, root rot or mould etc are a bigger problem than them getting a bit thirsty.

Thanks bud your post help me a lot :aok:

No probs mate, g'luck 'n keep it growing.

Also i'd go with what dman said, re bury it a bit lower just for overall height management later.

Latest posts

Back