spider mites / specific question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm down in Argentina and it's LEGAL! to grow two pot plants per household. I have two beautiful girls in excellent health growing on my patio. Excellent coloring, TONS of nodes, sad story is that these two bagseed plants if they make it to flower will likely be my best grow. HA!

Preflowers are turning into flowers.

I have spider mites and they are beginning to make webs. I always grew indoors back home and never had issues with bugs because of my antiseptic clean habits..

I doubt the products you all use up north will be available down here, theres a decent flower/plant store nearby where I got my soil.

What chemicals am I looking for?
Can anyone recommend a home remedy that may work well? I think now is the time to attack before the flowers start getting serious.
If nothing is done, will they flat out ruin the grow? What happens if I can't fix the issue??

:holysheep:

Thank you all :)

Absolutely they will ruin it, period. If you have webs, that could be major problem. Couple Solutions,

1: Rubbing alcohol/water mix, spray her down all over

2: Your local store might have Organicide, very good product

3: If all else fails and you can get it, Floramite. End all but it's very strong stuff, be careful.

4: Depending on how bad webbing is, you might have to scrap it, or at least thats my opinion. Hope that helps.

what ever remedy you use ..IMO...you need more then one weapon...treat every few days for two weeks...no need to scrap ya ladies cuzz they have bugs..worst case is your yield will be affected. Good Luck

I agree it is a good idea to mix up your attack methods, the mite will become imune to the same attack over time, and you will develope a super mite. If you already are seeing webs, you need to hit them hard and fast! I would go for the big guns! If you can get some Aza-Max or something similar. Good Luck!

there were one or two webs yesterday, today it's an infestation.. battle begins.. on my way to the store... jeeze i hope they dont ruin my perfect beauties

update... did the alcohol yesterday and gonna do a 1/2 dose of a strong insecticide tomorrow.. i have no idea what the insecticide is and im worried but i only have preflowers so maybe its ok...

the alcohol killed em all, no new webs, no webs period... 2% of the mites today that i had yesterday.. there are a few teeeeeeeny ones walking around today.. should i maybe just continue with alcohol or just keep going and use the insecticide tomorrow?

Am I incorrect that the alcohol mix does not kill the eggs, only adults?

Edit: wait, this is outside. Dude I would give her something sssstrong, how you gonna maintain that late flower?

makes sense about eggs, the ones i saw today looked like babies... uh well its a balcony in the city.. so its sorta in/out.

Neem and pyrethum. Safer Insecticidal Soap.

These should be in any horticultural/agricultural stores in yer region. I hope yer sweet twins turn out some serious kgb.

Much Luck,

7GE :D

The plant in one photo is in the same tray and next to the plant with no mites..

Okay first of all, do not take this in the wrong way...We have tried every suggestion and every method for getting rid of them....
We have used the foliar sprays, taking every plant out of the sheds...We have used Pyrethrum Bombs...We have used Organic methods..We have used Flea bombs...

We know about one too many ways...I am flushing this tray now...It is due and we cannot use anything on this tray..The shed will be bombed after this harvest...
This photo is for anyone who does not know what it looks like....

I hand wiped down this plant last night and this is today...There are only two plants in this room of 54 plants that show visible mites..but they are there...everywhere...

I AM JUST SHOWING THIS FOR NEWBIES TO SEE THE PHOTOS...
I AM BOMBING AFTER I HARVEST THE TRAY THESE BUGS ARE IN......I just cannot bomb so close to harvest..for the sake of good medicine.....
I know Hemp Goddess will understand me....i hate mites...

IMG_4408_1 Mites.jpg

IMG_4412_1 Odd 2.jpg

if i had the money for that ...would have done that a long time ago...I know all about that too....lol...it is just a part of growing.....and the other products...He will not do a foliar spray...again....thanks for posting tho...I SWEAR....i wiped it down the nite prior and they rebuilt the taj mahal...I am flushing this tray...and toasting the mites with it..

Didnt you say your electric bill is like $800? If you can afford that, I would rethink my pest regime for $30. Obv, they are a problem and it looks as though you have quite a few plants in there. But hey, it's your smoke. Hope the diff treatments work for ya.

CaliWildViolet420 said:
The plant in one photo is in the same tray and next to the plant with no mites..

Ill guarantee the other plant has mites also.

Hey hey Growdude, wassup mang!

Tried everything huh? Hmm... Tried An Bom?

burnin123 said:
what ever remedy you use ..IMO...you need more then one weapon...treat every few days for two weeks...no need to scrap ya ladies cuzz they have bugs..worst case is your yield will be affected. Good Luck

your imo is so very, very right. If you treat with a single remedy you will probably fail to control them much (Im leaving AVID out, for obvious reasons - those being the fact AVID is not for human consumption and is systemic - sure it works but it also will kill you, so the balance sucks) as well as making them resistant to what you use so the next guy down the line who gets a spidermite you treated a few thousand generations earlier will have a "treatment resistant" spidermite which is enough to make me want to cry just typing it.

Spidermites do not need our help becoming even tougher to deal with.

I would trash my crop if you are in flowering cycle post week 5. But thats me. Then I would Clean room with bleach & water. Wait 5 days do it again (cleaning) wait 5 days do it a last time. The eggs are pretty tough - this is overkill one might say but they arent me and they arent trying to completely control a spidermite infestation that is out of control.

You have webs already - this means they have been busy for a while now - weeks. Do the tops of the leaves appear to have tiny yellow dots on them? They do! Wow how did I guess? I have a personal vendetta against spidermites and want to see them eliminated completely from the world. Extinct. Im sure humans will be first.

Neem oil when you are in veg or week 1 of 12/12 specifically Einstein Oil *if* you can stand the stink and flavor it imparts. After week 1 of 12/12 stop using it.

Horticultural oils and soaps if you had caught them when you were supposed to - back about 10 to 14 days in the past. The webs and description you give tells me that they will win this battle. Even if you use floramite or Azatrol (or are dumb enough to use AVID) you will have a final product which has millions of dead spidermites all over it (snap, crackle, pop! thats not cereal its the sound of dead dried out spidermites being smoked... Gross.... I try to limit my dead bug inhalation for some odd reason. So even if you use the Big Chemical Guns your end result is dead bugs and your flowers having been soaked with toxins. And yes, floramite and Azatrol are toxic and no I wont debate it with anyone here now. Yes I have evidence - from the world health organization and the EPA that what Im saying is accurate. And finally does it sound appealing to ingest plant material that was exposed to a massive insect infestation which you will be taking into your body along with whatever mix of deadly crap you sprayed on them all dried to their dead bodies and to the product in question too?

For me the answer is a simple one. Nope. I would toss the plants, clean clean clean, try to figure out where they came from (window? pet? shoes worn outside then into grow area? Were they clones and just rode in on them and you didnt bother to dip them, so really you invited them in and provided their transportation, food and water so they could torch your crop? I mention this so next time it wont happen - because you will be more careful, right? And *IF* There appear any spidermites next time it wont be when you notice the webs it will be noticed in your daily crop examination where you spend that 10 minutes each day looking for bugs, testing ph, noting growth strengths or abnormal looking leaves or just spending the (for me) mandatory 5 minutes every other day with a hand-held 10x 20x and 30x magnifying glass pouring over each plant from stem to leaf tip and from top to bottom. You catch them then and its a LOT easier. Ive manually removed them and used water spray and doctor bonners soap mixed with water and baking soda to control them sucessfully - because I caught them early and didnt let them get to the point where the solution is likely to kill you as well as them (AVID, Floramite (much less so) etc. I wont get near that crap, and if you knew what it does to you then you wouldnt either unless you are suicidal / death wish fantasy is Leukemia or something.

Althea

Growdude said:
Ill guarantee the other plant has mites also.

I'll bet my first born this statement is accurate. It is more likely to win the lottery every week for a year than to have two plants with that level of infestation among 50 others and expect the mites to just chill out in place. You need to upgrade your commitment (time and effort) dedicated to finding this sort of thing before it gets that bad. If your crop was a patient in the hospital you would be hearing the last rites...

Heck we all know spidermites arent known for their tendency to spread like something that spreads as fast as spidermites. I truely cant think of anything that moves faster than a spidermite infestation indoors. Maybe a Ferrari? Naw....

Good Morning All, Saw this in my mailbox and felt compelled to respond.
There is no need to trash your plants...We are veteran growers..and generally post on GP. We are meticulous in keeping the sheds clean and all areas for our grows.
The last bad infestation we had with Mites...we Did everything including inspecting the plants numerous times daily.
I have both a magnifiying glass and microscope for my plants.
My Oddyssey, tho it was repeatedly treated still had two plants that had mites in mass. Even tho we had done everything, the two plants out of the nine in that tray were WIPED DOWN daily. Those two plants alone produced 4 oz. each of Indica, heavy beautiful glistening Nugs.
When it is two plants only, you have the advantage to use a foliar spray and go ahead and bomb if you want. I would never bomb in flower in the last few weeks..but once the infested ladies are out...you can do it.
If you are totally organic...You can use organic methods...
HOWEVER>>>I DID HAND wipe down my plants and we took everything out of the sheds. If you absolutely cannot use any products...a little labor of love will work....
I know a lot of organic growers who had no choice but to go ahead and used sprays and more to protect their crops.

MITES are not the end of the world....Mites exist. Everyone gets them unless, they have a totally sterile white room with masks, suits, fully filtered everything.
And if you use these things very lightly, there is little risk of getting some horrid disease....
We also use the baking soda method for any powder mildew....
There is no ONE time to catch mites. Even if you think you caught them in time, and think you never had them, you probably had them with dormant eggs....

Latest posts

Back