SpinPro leaf trimmer ?

bwanabud

Hiding in a tree
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
704
Reaction score
99
Location
Deep in the Timber
Anybody try one of these ?

I have a lot of trim to deal with :bong: , they look slick....any draw backs ?

Thanks in advance
 
T

The Hemp Goddess

Guest
I can certainly see the benefits if you have alot of bud to trim. However, I just wouldn't really feel comfortable turning my buds over to a mechanical trimmer. Many commercial growers in Cali hire people to trim rather than using mechanical trimmers--that tells me something.
 

bwanabud

Hiding in a tree
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
704
Reaction score
99
Location
Deep in the Timber
The Hemp Goddess said:
I can certainly see the benefits if you have alot of bud to trim. However, I just wouldn't really feel comfortable turning my buds over to a mechanical trimmer. Many commercial growers in Cali hire people to trim rather than using mechanical trimmers--that tells me something.
True, reminds me of the New Jack City flic.....all the fine ladies standing in a room chopping and weighing :hubba:

Problem: finding people to do the cleaning (that won't nark, or want a full benefit package) :D

I'm just wondering how good of a job the spinners do ? All Growers with heavy weight, can't possibly do it by hand ? I about went blind last year :D
 

gypsydog

Active Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2009
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
I used one last summer for outdoor harvest. It worked well to do all the small buds. One thing you gotta trim as soon as u chop them down. Also you have to pull off all the big fan leaves cut the bud off the stem then into the machine. We hung all the big buds and trimmed them by hand.
 

Hushpuppy

Dr MadBud
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
6,441
Reaction score
299
I have looked at those myself and there are several different types. I think the automatic one wouldn't be good for a small grower as they could over or under trim (I would think). I saw one that I intend to buy in a couple of months that is like a table with the blades beneath a top lid. yu can sit up to 4 people around it and manually feed and turn buds and let the cutting be done by the machine rather than manually working scissors and getting cramps in the hands. all of the leaf falls into a bag that is suspended beneath the trimmer. I think this trimmer is made by the same company (Trimpro):cool:
 

tcbud

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2007
Messages
4,467
Reaction score
3,580
Someone I know very well, had one last harvest. He grows monster plants and it saved him a bunch of time. He said you had to do the trim right after you cut the plant down, when the leaves have not wilted, it takes longer if the leaves wilt. Also you trim the shade leaves by hand before putting in the drum.

On the flip side, he sold it right after harvesting, for the same price he paid. It was pricey. He said he would not be growing that many plants in the future. I think he regrets it now, the same amount of plants are in his garden right now.

Good luck to you, let us know how it works out.
 
R

Roddy

Guest
Had a friend who used one, buds looked like they were scalped compared to same plant buds trimmed by hand. Musta lost a lot of bud in the trim. He is now using ladies to trim, sold the unit!
 

kaotik

MrInvisible
Joined
May 2, 2008
Messages
1,943
Reaction score
748
i dunno bout the spinpro. just looks so hokey and cheap to me.

i've used gas and electric trimming machines (trimpro xl) before.. loved it (when cropping other people's stuff ;) ) makes cropping such easy work.

saying that though.. those growers have now stopped using them, as the quality doesn't look as good. (and it knocks trichs off.. but the hash that surrounds the edges of that thing.. wow :D )


thats the problem.. yeah it knocks some leaves off much quicker.. but you still have to touch it up after, and you'll probably lose trichs too (more-so for the engine ones than the spinpro)

another thing is the un-powered ones where you have to crank a wheel at the top.. man, how old do you think that's gonna get?
yeah you wont be cutting with scissors, but i think spinning the thing over and over would bug me more than scissor grip hands.. then i have to go back and touch it up too?
no thanks.

really i think the best way is the old fashioned way; some smoke, some friends, some tunes.. and just giv'er.
 

bwanabud

Hiding in a tree
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
704
Reaction score
99
Location
Deep in the Timber
tcbud said:
Someone I know very well, had one last harvest. He grows monster plants and it saved him a bunch of time. He said you had to do the trim right after you cut the plant down, when the leaves have not wilted, it takes longer if the leaves wilt. Also you trim the shade leaves by hand before putting in the drum.

On the flip side, he sold it right after harvesting, for the same price he paid. It was pricey. He said he would not be growing that many plants in the future. I think he regrets it now, the same amount of plants are in his garden right now.

Good luck to you, let us know how it works out.
I was hoping for a milti-quote :D but:

I'll let ya know how she works, plan on using it right after chopping season. It got to save time, as long as it doesn't tear up the buds.
 

bwanabud

Hiding in a tree
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
704
Reaction score
99
Location
Deep in the Timber
Roddy said:
Had a friend who used one, buds looked like they were scalped compared to same plant buds trimmed by hand. Musta lost a lot of bud in the trim. He is now using ladies to trim, sold the unit!
Point me to the ladies, and I'll give them a try :D
 

bwanabud

Hiding in a tree
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
704
Reaction score
99
Location
Deep in the Timber
kaotik said:
i dunno bout the spinpro. just looks so hokey and cheap to me.

i've used gas and electric trimming machines (trimpro xl) before.. loved it (when cropping other people's stuff ;) ) makes cropping such easy work.

saying that though.. those growers have now stopped using them, as the quality doesn't look as good. (and it knocks trichs off.. but the hash that surrounds the edges of that thing.. wow :D )


thats the problem.. yeah it knocks some leaves off much quicker.. but you still have to touch it up after, and you'll probably lose trichs too (more-so for the engine ones than the spinpro)

another thing is the un-powered ones where you have to crank a wheel at the top.. man, how old do you think that's gonna get?
yeah you wont be cutting with scissors, but i think spinning the thing over and over would bug me more than scissor grip hands.. then i have to go back and touch it up too?
no thanks.

really i think the best way is the old fashioned way; some smoke, some friends, some tunes.. and just giv'er.
I'm going to buy the manual version....then hook my cordless drill to the top...let her spin :hubba:
 
W

woodydude

Guest
I had an injury to my hand (another stoned when using tools thing) at my last harvest so it was difficult for me to use scissors so I just plucked the leaves off by hand and it was the fastest I have ever trimmed. OK, I was only doing 6 oz but I had it all trimmed and hanging to dry in no time at all. (I didnt time myself! LOL)
I saw a Dutch guy in holland doing it this way and he was so fast & accurate he made a machine look pointless.
W
 

Hushpuppy

Dr MadBud
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
6,441
Reaction score
299
If I am trimming buds for myself, I don't trim a lot off of it anyway because all of those little sugar coated leaves smoke just as good as any. all the fan leaves I would chop and dump and maybe any larger sugar leaves that might get in the way. But if I am selling my crop then I will trim them better as some peeps don't like as much leaf as I do. I am hoping to gather enough shake this harvest to start making some nice hash, sooo that table-ish looking trimmer I saw in High times mag I think will be handy.
 

orangesunshine

Drama Free
Joined
Feb 22, 2010
Messages
3,794
Reaction score
276
i have used the spin pro---same idea as a lettuce washer---except---there is a metal rod to pulverize your bud and little rubber fingers that push it around---still needed some fine tune trimming after it came out---pretty much making you do the same job twice---IMO---total waste of time and money
 

bwanabud

Hiding in a tree
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
704
Reaction score
99
Location
Deep in the Timber
It seems like the wire screen system, would prohibit tearing up the buds. Only the long leaves sticking thru would get cut.

Well, have to try it to know for sure.
 

thomjarl

Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2011
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
If you are going for a manual trimmer I would go for the original, no knock-off like spinpro. Here's the original:
hxxp://webhydro.com/manual-flower-trimmer.html[/url]
 

Latest posts

Top