Start to Finish

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirSmoke-a-Lot

Reaction score
I am planning on growing the afghan strain outdoors this coming season and I have a few questions. I will be going on vacation for a month or maybe 2 in june and july... and I wanted to know first off, how long it will take from germination to harvest time for afghan strain outdoors. Secondly, will me being away for two months mess up the plants in any way? I won't be using any ferts or nutes, just some good soil and manuer, maybe some worm castings... thanks for your guys inputs.

will me being away for two months mess up the plants in any way?
Depends on your weather. If it's dry you may need to water them a couple times. If you get steady rain or rain regularly they should be fine.

Two months !!!!! I can Harvest...I think you live in a Better climent then me...I personally would not leave my plants for more then a week...but thats me....Good luck my friend

I mean... I want to do an organic grow so I don't want to do anything except water them. It will be pretty dry around that time, so I can see the problem arising. I think I can get someone to water the plants, so that isn't a problem. The thing I am worried about is that I have seen other people plant and harvest a crop within 3 months, so I don't know if that is the same case with the afghan strain grown outdoors... shed some light on this please! thanks!

well I use 1000HPS in my flower room and 2 @ 400HD in Veg...this should shed some light for you.....flower time will be 8-16 weeks depending on your climate...3 months is the correct time frame...IMO....for out door grows...start to finsh....we inside growers minipulate everything...but outside you cant..

But then, what does it mean, harvest time early november?

So it would take 2+ months just for flowering and about 2 months for vegging... so around 5 months. right?

you can plant outdoors anytime after the last frost in the early spring then let it grow till late the fall. or you can wait till mid summer and plant and still harvest in the fall but the plant will be smaller an yeild less.

Because thats when we Harvest Here In this Region...its getting cold and winter in upon us..I will be Harvesting Mine in Mid october...but I harvest at 7 weeks ....trichs 40/60...DEADLINE is the strain this Summer..and may Be Next as well...and is a fast finisher..

when talking about outside yes...inside you could do 12/12 from seed...so your Veg inside can be anywhere from ..well...not at all..too...forever..

flower starts as you know when light sycle turns to 12/12....Not sure when we start talking ouside again...I know the days get shorter..and the nights get longer...but the sun does not change to HPS...well Im sure it does and I need to do some reading on that one my self..lol..well enough of my Novel

KEEP M GREEN

slowmo77 said:
you can plant outdoors anytime after the last frost in the early spring then let it grow till late the fall. or you can wait till mid summer and plant and still harvest in the fall but the plant will be smaller an yeild less.

But wouldnt the trichs just be forming if started mid season?

Thanks

4u2sm0ke said:
But wouldnt the trichs just be forming if started mid season?

Thanks

No, because the plant will just shorten its veg time.

For example, I generally plant in late april and harvest in late september. The plants start budding **around** the last week in July around here. So, I'm vegging for about 3 months. But, I could also plant in June and they would still start budding in late july, they would just have about a month and a half veg time instead. It's not about the age of the plant, its about the light cycle.

umm... indoor would be 17 weeks include harvest ready. maybe 18 weeks.. but outdoor that would be 2 months more due of weathers u know?? hope that helps ya preparing it

Ok this really helped... meaning next season, I can plant march through june and it will flower the same time... only the plant size and yield will be affected. Thanks! I am just asking questions right now as I am a newbie, so when I do start growing, I will hit it right on the spot. Thanks everybody!

I, personally have thrown seeds in the ground in august and had eight to twelve inch plants at the end of october. But my rule of thumb is to have them in the ground by july 4th. Sure, they'll grow, just they wont get any size to them. If you're trying to get a little seed, go for it, just don't use all of your stock (in fact I might only use three or four). But, if you want any signifigant flowers, I would have to say you're SOL.

Ok guys, I have a question... I have looked at a lot of pics of males and females, not so much herms, and I thought it would be easy picking out which are which. Then I saw another pic which showed the balls or pistils really small on the plant and I don't know if I will be able to spot them. What if I planted 1 seed in one spot, and another seed not near by, but in a complete different location (guerrilla growing)... If i did this, I wouldn't have to worry about checking to see if they are males during pre-flower and then once they show up a lot, you can easily tell... what do you guys think? is this possible?

You would want to place them at least a quarter mile from each other. I forget which book it was, by ed rosenthal, but that's where I read that. I have always gotten males this way, though.

Of the maybe ten times I've started a single seed by itself, at least eight gave me a male. I always thought that this was because if a plant senses no other plant around that it would turn male to increase it's chances of procreation. I don't know where I got that from, but I don't think I read it anywhere, just devised it from experience. I always start at least two seeds, that way I feel I have a good chance of getting a female. Of course, all this was prior to buying some good genetics. With bag seed, who knows what you're getting.

Latest posts

Back