Stopping Garden weeds!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tester

Amsterdam
Reaction score
Hi is there a way i can stop weeds in my garden to some extent, I uproot all the weeds and I mean literally 2 weeks later my garden is over run with weeds its hard to even see the grass it gets that bad i would throw weed killer all over the garden but that would kill the grass, any ideas?

There are ways to slow the weeds down. One involves newspaper layered on top in 3 or 4 layers. No color pages or cartoons, if you want to stay organic. Put down leaves, grass clippings , hay, straw, or??? whatever you have to anchor the paper down and will break down over several months. You end up with better soil than you had and more worms. Right now, crabgrass is enemy numero uno at benny's place. grrrrr

Right now weeds aren't really a problem (we've got a foot of snow on the ground) but during the grow season I put landscape fabic around any plants I put in the ground. As benny said newspappers work as well. As far as the organic matter, it's probably just personal perception but I don't like anything that is still in the early stages of the composting process under my plants. Any water that may splash at the base of your plants, weather it be from rain or garden hose, can tranfer nasty deseases to your plants (this is was causes alot of Tomato blight).
It's just my opinion but the fastest, easiest, and surest way to stop them dead is remove all the weeds,( I like a stirrup hoe ), lay down the landscape fabric ( pin it down good using pieces of wire clothes hangers cut to about 8 in. and bent in half), and viola done. Water can go through the landscape fabric but won't splash anything but water on your plants.
Best of luck, take care.

thanks ill give your suggestions a go, with a bit of luck it will slow things down

Latest posts

Back