Strain/Type Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasMonster

Reaction score
I know a lot of guys pop up on yalls site real fast and ask crazy "what kind of" questions all the time. I am a fairly new member and I have been reading alot here. I think, I may have to much information at once.

I am about to buy my bulb and ballast locally. I am waiting on the hood until a couple of weeks from now so that I can afford a quality vented hood (unless yall know something DIY).

Where I am struggling with is the darn type of plants to grow.

1) I've never grown grass.

2) I just learned there was two types of grass (indica/sativa)

3) I do want plants that are very disease resistant

4) grow area to work with is 2ft deep, 4ft long, 6ft tall (I have to get a lamp in the tall part-ballast outside grow area) I would like to keep my plants in the 3ft to 3½ft tall

5) soil (for now)

6) I do want that couchlock I see yall reference all the time. I aint never been there with grass.

7) I guess yield plays an important part too. I would like to select a good yielding plant as well

Norther light comes to mind. Happy growing

HippyInEngland said:
Sativa, Indica and Ruderalis.

;)

:peace:

Sheessh, see what I mean, I never even heard of ruderalis.

Another Question (this is going to be my question thread I expect) All the Mexican Commercial grass that goes around and gets smoked, what is it? Sativa/Indica/Ruderalis?

Now I gotta go look up Ruderalis

HippyInEngland said:
Sativa, Indica and Ruderalis.

;)

Hey Hippy I 've been reading that they think ruderalis is a type of indica and not a truely separate genius. Apparently there is some debate.

TexasMonster said:
Sheessh, see what I mean, I never even heard of ruderalis.

Another Question (this is going to be my question thread I expect) All the Mexican Commercial grass that goes around and gets smoked, what is it? Sativa/Indica/Ruderalis?

Now I gotta go look up Ruderalis

sativa

Well I see where its almost a feral sativa. This is the link to what I read

hxxp://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/3033.html (xx for tt)

:)

2 2 3 strains.JPG

HippyInEngland

So its that way always with Indicas? Shorter? If thats the case then the Indicas are for me, plus I am searching for "couchlock"

made me think of you tex...

cowboy pumpkin.jpg

Indicas are easier to grow (IMHO)...

they grow shorter and bushier....
and they are the type of strain that gives you "couchlock"...

look into some strains that are all "indo" (or a 90/10, indica/sativa respectively)...

just an easier plant to grow, I think...

good luck..

used to live in El Paso...super dry an' hot :)

2Dog said:
made me think of you tex...

Thank You. I just stole that one. Gracias.

BTW, what does the phrase "F1" mean when I am looking at seed banks and they are talking about strains?

The first filial generation, produced by crossing two parental lines.
Definition

noun

(genetics) The first filial generation, which is comprised of offspring(s) resulting from a cross between strains of distinct genotypes.

Supplement

The F1 generation is the generation resulting immediately from a cross of the first set of parents (parental generation).

F2 generation

Definition

noun

(genetics) The second filial generation, which is comprised of offspring(s) resulting from a cross of the members of F1 generation.

Supplement

The F2 generation is the result of a cross between two F1 individuals (from F1 generation).
hXXp://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/F2_generation

You should give Sensi Star try

hxxp://tinyurl.com/y92p7h3

cmd420 said:
Indicas are easier to grow (IMHO)...

they grow shorter and bushier....
and they are the type of strain that gives you "couchlock"...

look into some strains that are all "indo" (or a 90/10, indica/sativa respectively)...

just an easier plant to grow, I think...

good luck..

used to live in El Paso...super dry an' hot :)

Thank Yall all. I have narrowed it down to an indica. Northern Lights looks pretty good and Nirvana has the seeds fairly reasonable.

How come Nirvana's seeds are so much cheaper? I tend to get a little worried when a company has its products alot cheaper than the competition

Hick said:
hXXp://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/F2_generation

I just noticed your explanation of F1 and F2 ...... So, when they are F1 will a male and female mate and have seeds true to it?

I guess I aught to go look at that link you supplied me and make sure the answer aint there, huh?

Thanks

TexasMonster said:
Northern Lights looks pretty good and Nirvana has the seeds fairly reasonable.

Hey there Tex, there's a few things you need to learn about the cannabis seed business. Like any other business there is a lot of crookedness in it. That's just a dirty fact of life so it's buyer beware. Do not rush into laying down some hard earned cash for seeds without doing some research into them, just like you're doing right now. Whenever and wherever there are 'originals', fakes or cheap copies are not far behind them.

Now, the "original" patented name of the seedline is 'Northern Lights', and as far as I'm aware, the Sensi Seed Bank holds the patent. Take a close look at the name of Nirvana's seedline. It's not 'Northern Lights', is it, but just 'Northern Light' without the 's'. That's not a typo but a sign that their version is not the "original" Northern Lights, but instead a cheap knock-off at best, of the 'original'. A cheap knock-off refers to f-2 seeds, created by inbreeding two or more f-1 parents.

A true f-1 hybrid is created by out-crossing two IBL's (inbred lines) with a single phenotype each. By `true` I mean an f-1 that has one phenotype. When two proper IBL`s are crossed, the f-1 progeny will generally have a single phenotype. Now, while hybrid vigour is lost through inbreeding, it is restored through outcrossing. That means that f-2 seed is less vigorous than the f-1, in all the areas that count, such as potency, taste, and yield. Don`t grow f-2 seed unless your purpose is breeding, or unless the f-1 is no longer available.

However, there are many f-1 seeds that produce more than one pheno, and that is usually because at least one of its parents was not entirely stable, or true-breeding. Let`s say parent `A` has two phenotypes and parent `B` has two phenotypes, then they will produce four phenotypes in their offspring. If parent A has 3 pheno`s and parent B has 3 pheno`s, then crossing them will produce 9 phenotypes. Now take that f-1 with 9 phenotypes and cross it again to another different seedline which has 3 pheno`s, and you`ll produce an f-1 with 27 different phenotypes. That`s how you quickly destroy a seedline.

Now, I say that Nirvana`s `Northern Light` seed may be a cheap f-2 at best because I doubt very much they recreated a new f-1 seedline from that f-2 seed, or else they`d be pumping that for all it`s worth in their product description. For them to create a new and improved f-1 from f-2 seed would require them to inbreed two seperate lines, by backcrossing them to the f-1 parents, for at least four generations, before outcrossing them to each other again.

Having said all that, though, it`s possible Nirvana`s variety is not even an f-2, but it could be just a well selected NL parent, outcrossed to some other strain, and then backcrossed four times to the NL parent. That is what is sometimes referred to as a `reworked` or new and improved version of the original seedline. Whatever it is, I feel confident in saying that it is not the real f-1 Northern Lights. It is likely a near relation, meaning it contains a NL genetic dominance throughout, at the very least. Still, that is not at all the same as being the `real deal.` How does that old saying go? Close only counts in horse-shoes. - RT

TexasMonster said:
I just noticed your explanation of F1 and F2 ...... So, when they are F1 will a male and female mate and have seeds true to it?

No, the f-2 generation is never true breeding. If the f-1 was the progeny of two stablized parent seedlines, then it will generally have a single phenotype, and all will look alike. While it will have an appearance of being true breeding because all the f-1`s look alike, it is not true-breeding in reality. All outcrosses are unstable, by definition. However, let`s say for argument`s sake that the f-1 has a single phenotype. Then the f-2 will produce at least three phenotypes. Fifty percent of the f-2`s will look like the f-1, while twenty five percent will look more like IBL parent A and the remaining twenty-five percent will look more like IBL parent B. These are rough approximations.

So, the f-2 generation, then, is where the genetic heritage of the two IBL`s (inbred parent lines) begins to open up for the breeder. Now, if the f-1 has two phenotypes, and you select one parent from each phenotype to inbreed and create f-2 seed with, the loss in hybrid vigour will be less dramatic and noticeable in the f-2 progeny than if you were to select two parents with the same f-1 phenotype. It is a well established fact that the f-2 seed has less hybrid vigour than the f-1. If max yield, taste, and potency is what you desire, be strict about growing true f-1 seed stock! - RT

If max yield, taste, and potency is what you desire, be strict about growing true f-1 seed stock! - RT

I don't fully agree there. Everything has been outcrossed to find those phenos that breeders find to lock in. Without it our selection would not be where it is now. I love outcrossing and running strains down to see what hidden traits are buried in. If running a breeding project or trying to find that amazing pheno you should keep the parents, but run any crosses down to at least F3 to see what kinda demons are buried. They will show themselves sooner or later. For cloning style growing then i agree with what you said and just get the F1 and roll with it.

Latest posts

Back