Supersoil or Miracle Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psychitsmike

Reaction score
So far I am just germinating the seeds which i got Thursday. I bought Supersoil and Miracle Grow Moisture Control pot mix and I am wondering which one should i use for a pot(container) grow and a grow in my back yard. They both say they are pot mixes but has anyone used either?

The Supersoil says it has the ph levels at around 4-5, is that ideal?

Hi there Psychitsmike. Good to have you here at MP. You have came to the right place to learn and share your knowledge of growing mj. You will find all the answers to any questions you may have. There are some very knowledgeable people on here that are more than willing to help you in any way possible.

I would trash the miracle grow potting mix. Many growers have problems with it. Promix is the best soil around. If you can get ahold of some of that, you will have great results. I have never heard of supersoil but it sounds like the ph is too low for mj. Definitely check around for promix. Get it if at all possible.

Good luck with your grow and make sure to keep us posted on what you decide to do. Take care.

Yo Ho there Psychitsmike,

Welcome friend, Good question, so let's get down to brass tacks. MG moisture control potting soil comes with ferts already mixed into it. There are problems that come along with it though. I started out with this stuff, and experienced everything that I am talking about.

1. With pre-mixed ferts you are not doing the ferts yourself, but relying on what the company has blended into their mixes, and then bagged up. The bags come with air holes in them, and they often come with a pesky little critter called Fungus Gnats that decided to live in the moist soil. The eggs of which hatch out larvae that will go after the tender young roots. There is a good way to get rid of them, but the little babies can get all burned up by the mix of ferts. If you find that you want to flush your soil, you will compound the problem by releasing even more ferts when you water as the encapsulated stuff is designed to slowely break down with each subsequent watering.

IMHO I believe that you would do much better if you use a neutral potting soil, or blend your own mix. Give the babies a chance to establish themselfs as you don't need to fertilize them right off you know. After your well under way you choose what you want to give them for the vegging, and then for the flowering. Just my $0.02 worth

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

Miracle grow is the WORST thing to use on cannabis plants.

Get plain potting soil with little or no ferts in it, than just add your own little at a time.

This ensures you give the plant what it needs, when it needs it. I have found that potting soil that has food in it already can get all wacky on you and damage your plant.

Just safer to control the amount of food the plant takes, plus what it takes and when. N to start and P-K to finish.

I have had/seen nothing but trouble caused directly from miracle grow. It is impossible to get the taste of chems out of the finished product....if you get that far.

Keep us posted

just for the record if im correct Miracle gro is all TGB uses actually inspired me to try and switch ;), and also its all MDANZIG uses for those who are familiar with that autoflowering breeders of the world :)

i wouldnt use MG my self but try it out, Ill watch to see if you can keep em alive. pretty sure the stuff killed my friends baby clones, hahaha go with foxfarm oceanforest ph level 6.5-7. ph of 4 is way to acidic. and youll want to be feeding your self, pre fertilized soil is terrible, no feeding control, risks lots.

eh ive grown with expert gardeners,foxfarm ocean forest,hypotnex(never buy very hard to maintain) ,miracle gro moisture control(actually went ok) so im sure ill do fine and ive had friends who have grown with MG and done fine so idk what to say , miracle gro isnt satan guys tons of people use it to gro mj ;)

Of course you're right lowryder. MG isn't the devil but it't definitely not the best choice out there. I have never personally used it but like you said, I'm sure that it can be used with good results. It's just easier to a new grower if he gets some neutral soil to start with. I have only used promix and compost from horse manure for my outdoor grows and had fantastic results. I recommend going with promix or any other type of neutral soil. It will be easier for you in the long run. Just my thoughts. Good luck on whatever you do decide to do though. I hope it works out for you. Take care my friend.

mmm kinda want a challenge right about now and for some reason i dont think it will be that much of one so we will see :)

I think I'll end up putting one plant in both soils and another one in normal soil. I'm interested in the outcome.

Yess!! 2/3 seeds are pretty much ready to go. i'll start a log on the other section. Thanks for the tips.

MG can be used effectively by a great grower as youself TBG. I have never tried it before but I have always heard horror stories about it. I have always used promix so I really dont know. I'm sure it would work just fine but you have to be mindful of putting seedlings into pre-ferted soil right? Thats what I've always heard. Take care all.

BTW, those are some great looking buds in that link TGB. Beauty at its finest my friend. Take care.

I would not recommend MG for an indoor grow period.

Outdoors is a different story, granted your plant is in the ground.

MG soil in pots IMO is a disaster scenerio, perhaps used spairingly mixed in the soil outdoor would be fine.

I am just partial to add my own nutes and monitor what the plant gets, when and how much.

Have you ever had any problems with the seedlings in the MG soil? I have always heard of people having problems with seedlings in it. Like I said before, I have never used it so I really dont know. The bud pics in the link you provided look fantastic so I'm starting to change my mind about it. Do you also use nutes? Take care all.

Every now and then we get a seed or two that will show some yellow spots but they work right out of it. As far as using nutes nothing until the 2 week of flower. Then we give them 1/4 tsp. of Fox Farm Big Bloom per gallon of water every other watering. Were trying something new right now with our current grow. We added some Bone Meal in with the mix on two of our ladies. :hubba:

Latest posts

Back