SUPERthrive??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

depetreono

Reaction score
Iv been useing superthrive in every watering iv done and iv realized I don't even know what benefits their are to useing it. Does anyone know what it does?? And I know it gives vitamins and hormones but what are they doing to help??

Thank you to anyone who could help me out with this.

Its only good for rooting clones diluted nothing else so dont think for 1 minute its weed nutes cos it aint.
T4

It is mostly used for clones but it is also nice to add when a plant is stressed, I use it on lots of plants for lots of things. It is cheap and doesn't hurt.

LOL! Every time I encounter a post regarding the alleged benefits of Superthrive or questions about its effectiveness, I am reminded of a published article by a longtime and very well-respected GW member who refers to the stuff as "SuperJIVE". Just exactly what is it?? No one, other than the originator, knows for sure and he is not divulging the ingredients. It reputedly contains vitamins (B1) and plant growth regulators but in such low concentrations as to be virtually almost entirely water once diluted according to directions.

It does have a pretty impressive marketing presence, with full page ads in various trade and horticultural publications and a rather strong following of proponents who swear by the stuff, pot growers in particular if Google hits mean anything. But what it poses in anecdotal reports it lacks entirely in any kind of scientific testing. Odd that a product that has been on the market as long as this (since the 40's, I believe) has never produced any peer-reviewed scientific evidence to support its claims.

It flies under the EPA radar by not calling itself a 'fertilizer' and it is restricted from sale in various states as well as Canada simply because it is not EPA regulated and also appears to contain 1-Napthyl acetic acid, a non-regulated pesticide. If you have it, you might as well use it but I'd not go out of my way to buy anything that I could not confirm the ingredients on and that is unsupported by any real testing. And is dang expensive to boot. I would caution against applying in anything more than the recommended dilution rate as it does contain synthetic auxin, the same growth regulator that was used in defoliants in Viet Nam and could actually be harmful to plants if applied too frequently or in excess.

hXXp://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq3600.html

"snake oil"....;)

So what are you trying to say Hick?:eek: I think its great stuff :) I put it on my bunions, use it as a lubricant on my achey joints and door hinges alike. I use it to clean my silverwear, and I swear it improves the gas milage in my truck if I add a few drops to the gas tank. I have heard that a drop in my coffee every morning will make Mr. Wiggly stand a little taller :hubba: :hubba: :eek: but I wouldn't recommend it :huh:

Hey I drank the stuff. Poison control knows what's in it. lol

I am kind of curious why someone would give something to their plant every watering without knowing what it was?

I'm betting many are doing just that right now, THG. Maybe not every watering, but some likely are with every feeding...

The Hemp Goddess said:
I am kind of curious why someone would give something to their plant every watering without knowing what it was?

"Brondo, Its got electrolytes its what plants want."

Been adding it more out of habit. Before I knew all about nutes it was given to me and was told it was good for plants so I just kept useing it. Wasn't hurting them so I had no reason to stop.

If you want to use something that actually works i recommend adding 4ml/gallon of good old 5$ homedepot vitamin b1.

:D

Happy growin

405202ab-35b9-493c-af6d-eb9c458821ef_300.jpg

ArtVandolay said:
Remember the guy (?) that was giving his plants birth control pills? I don't remember what his theory was for doing so, though.

EDIT: here it is:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3481
Oh my god! :holysheep:

That stuff will travel through the water supply and will stick around!

Bad stuff to play around with...wonder if he knew that 1/4 of the pills are sugar.:p

Once this little bottle is gone I don't think ill be buying superthrive again. Isnt b1 good at helping develop roots isn't rooting powder packed full of it.

No, rooting powders are usually butyric acid. And powders are 1/5 the strength of gels.

B1 is thiamine and helps root growth as well as fight off pythium (common root rotting fungi/oomycete).

Iv had equal success from powder or gel but powder is cheaper. I might go get some b1. Thanks for the tip. I should probably see how much b1 my nutes are already giving first.

Much like L-Lysine for humans, you really *cant OD a plant on Thiamine. I have poured a gallon of b1 into 5 gallons of water for new citrus trees transplants along with a 50/50 mix of DI h2o and b1 for fresh clones. While b1 has worked well in the past for me, I find more consistent results with products containing .30-.55% IBA (home depot powder is ~.10 IIRC so your not saving any $).

*I suppose it could be possible with a high n(I) molar concentration but I have yet to see b1 sold like this.

:D happy growin!

Latest posts

Back