T5 ho vs 150 hps for a scrog grow?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burningbush93

Reaction score
i have beentrying to decide on a 2' 4 bulb t5 or a 150 hps. i have a few quistions that i need clarified. i dont really have any ventilation options so a t5 would be better if heat would be a problem with a 150 hps but i heard a couple of different people say they didnt have heat issues and all they had was a fan blowing on the bulb(similar room sizes to mine). would this really work my room is 33"L 15'' W 5ft tall (85 and below would make me happy!!!). i also hear that when your doing a scrog with t5 ho they are just as good hps (or at least close) because you can keep them right on top of the plants and hps hasto be a good distance away wich lumens decrease really fast with distance is this true. if any of you can help i would appriciate it. these questions are the only thing keeping me from a decition.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!

both will do a good job, but ventilation isn't just for cooling your lights. you need to be able to exchange the air in the room to in order keep supplying your plants with co2

Sorry to take so long to respond, sometimes new threads are overlooked(but not intensionally) :)

I personally would get both because the T5 is great for veg growth and making the plants good and healthy. But when you go to flower, you need to "up" the light energy for maximum bud growth and resin production. For that the HPS is the best choice, and you should go with a 250w for best results. The 150 would be underpowered. You do have to keep the bulb back further but only about 12" and within that space the lumens will not deminish. HPS drives the photons harder so that they will go farther than flourescent photons. That is why floros have to be kept right on the plants and HPS has to be backed off a bit.

BUT you MUST have good ventilation, not just a fan blowing into the space. If you have friends that do it that way and you do it this way, your bud will make their bud look sick :eek:

I assume that you are in a closet? I would suggest that you go to the hardware store and get a sheet of the reflective insulation and cut it to fit the size of the closet door and then remove the door and use the insulation panel in place of it. Then get you one of these fans: hxxp://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/vortex-inch-172-cfm-high-power-inline-fan-p-351.html :) These are a bit pricey and there are cheaper models but these are among the quietest running fans and this will eliminate the heat from building up and will keep fresh air coming in for the plants. :)

Most 2' T5s are only 2000 lumens. That would give you about 8000 lumens from the T5s compared to the 15,000 lumens from the 150W HPS. I would go with the T5 for vegging and the HPS for flowering. Like already mentioned, you need ventilation regardless of what type of lighting you use.

I am removing all the embedded links in your post. We ask that you post NO direct links--they can take you anywhere. Thanks.

all i did was type the post didnt add any links on purpose so i dont know how that happend. I no ventilation is important but you gotta work with what you got(i cant vent/ accept to the closet my box is in33''x16''x5ft). i add co2 and humidity is nevere an issue. im just worried about heat. if i absolutely halfto vent with a 150 then ill prob halfto get the t5 ho. by the way if the 150 hps had a strong fan blowing on it to disperse the heat evenly and it kept the temps around 85 i would be happy even though i know thats pritty hot. i could manage with that!!!

One thing I would be worried about is smell, even if you're not venting I'd guess small amounts of air could and/or would escape. And I believe that would reek and cause concern.

Yeah if you can't vent properly then you are going to have lots of problems. MJ is a powerful odor and will penetrate the whole house, and will cling to clothes. The only good way to really eliminate it is through venting and filtering. A fan blowing on the lights will certainly evenly disperse the heat throughout the space but without a way to remove the heat from the space and replace it with fresh cool air, it will just build up and your plants will suffer if not die. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but growing your own MJ isn't cheap or easy, that is why a lot of people don't do it. I hope for the best for you though :)

Latest posts

Back