Terminology

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ross

Reaction score
A friend who grows was telling about this technique that involves cutting new branch growth to produce 2 branches instead of 1. What is this technique called? And could someone help elaborate on when to start doing this, and how to go about it?

I think you're referring to pruning? :) with my first grow, I started pruning at about 4 months. This time, I did it too early and too often, and am paying the price right now...My poor little Star looks rather pathetic, LOL.

Just don't overdo it, and give your plants plenty of time to heal in between prunings...Cut the branches at an angle, try to make a clean slice (I've noticed it heals better that way, as opposed to "sawing" it off with a knife....) Sharp shears work wonders for this, but your basic scissors can work too! Or if you have a knife sharp enough to make a clean cut, go for it.

As for when to do it, I had better luck with my last grow starting once the buds are beginning to form...It would sprout two new, budding limbs each time.

You can also clone the limbs you remove for more plants. Just a suggestion :)

Good luck!

It's called the FIM technique: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26682

Basically you cut the branch off, at the growth tip.. the plant will grow two shoots from this point, instead of the one you just cut off.

"Topping" a plant is the same thing really, except that you do it to the tallest part of the plant: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19637

I think the accepted rule of thumb, is not to take off more than 1/3 of the plant. So as long as you respect that, you can do it at any age.

:)

Yeppers,

In my day we just referred to it as pinching, but the guys have given you the straight skinny on it, and points for them for it. (well done guys).:)
One must be very cautious as to where the pinch or cut is done, and as for my own babies I usually wait until the 6th or 7th set of branches. Sometimes I wait until alternating nodes is well under way. Personal choice.
Use care in the pruning,(pinching), leave at least a 1/8" to 1/4" inch of the main stem that you wish to set up for branching, and do no more than 1/3rd of the entire plant as King Bud suggested. Like I said the guys are right on target with what they are saying to you, and I am only reiterating what they are teaching.

A most excellant point is made about taking advantage with what you are pruning and slipping into cloning.

Good luck and how about a pic or two ?:watchplant:

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

King Bud said:
It's called the FIM technique: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26682

Basically you cut the branch off, at the growth tip.. the plant will grow two shoots from this point, instead of the one you just cut off.

"Topping" a plant is the same thing really, except that you do it to the tallest part of the plant: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19637

I think the accepted rule of thumb, is not to take off more than 1/3 of the plant. So as long as you respect that, you can do it at any age.

Thanks for the correction! I figured there was a better term than pruning (Since pruning is mainly for the shape/growth pattern of the branches/leaves, right?) I just found out about the technique in my last grow by accident - when I pruned it to get more light to the inside of the plant, it would sprout two back. I didn't even start pruning until the flowering stage, though.

However, about doing it at any age...This grow my plant looks pretty bare, and I got nowhere near chopping 1/3 of it. Do you know if there is a specific reason they'll grow back sometimes, and sometimes never regrow? Or is this plant just a fluke? Just curious :)

its method where you pinch a stem twice from 2 directions and bend it over. all of them. including the top. im not sure what it does but mine have flowers everwhere now. Theres a video on youtube, its part of the urban grower series,suppercropping. check it out.

However, about doing it at any age...This grow my plant looks pretty bare, and I got nowhere near chopping 1/3 of it. Do you know if there is a specific reason they'll grow back sometimes, and sometimes never regrow? Or is this plant just a fluke?
I've never heard of it never regrowing.. I think the main concern is of causing too much stress, which leads to hermaphrodites down the road.

when I pruned it to get more light to the inside of the plant
There's no need to cut leaves off so that light reaches the inside of the plant. If the light hits the top leaves, then it's fine.

Pruning marijuana, as far as I know, means to cut off the buds. I know in horticulture it can mean lots of things, like shaping the plant. If you look in the resource section, there's a list of terms with definitions, and I believe the Marijuana Passion Grow Guide has a section on pruning as well.

However, about doing it at any age...This grow my plant looks pretty bare, and I got nowhere near chopping 1/3 of it.
If it's still young/small, I'd let it grow to it's 6th or 7th node, like KingKahuuna recommended. By then it should be big enough to grow back at a decent rate.

Latest posts

Back