The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
around 1969 , caught this flathead out of the Osage river around Warsaw. Issouri

IMG_0055.jpeg

around 1974 with my oldest son

IMG_0951.jpeg

Ahh... snook. Known to some lawbreakers as "Black Stripe Grouper". Super eatin' fish.
We called them Linesiders, and when the water temp gets below I think 55 degrees, they become lethargic and just sit there so they can be scooped up with a net. Used to be a regular practice when I was little. Overharvesting dang near wiped 'em out in the past, from what I've always heard. Doing so now is highly illegal, of course. They have strict, very specific harvesting nowadays, and cannot be sold commercially at all. Last I heard it was 2 in the freezer limit. But I haven't lived in Flourdough, the Shoeshine State, for many years now.

Attachments

• Flourdough.jpg
    Flourdough.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 0
Found this pic... See the one in the middle? That has happened to me several times over the years. You've got them on your giant safety-pin lookin' ring, and a snarky shark sneaks up behind you and does like rippers do to your grow.
1697991939201.png

BTW: That guy is a sorry-ass shot. Not even one of them taken with the proper head shot. He has messed up a lot of filets.

Yer susposed to do it thisaway:
1697992154706.png

1697992210994.png

Found this pic... See the one in the middle? That has happened to me several times over the years. You've got them on your giant safety-pin lookin' ring, and a snarky shark sneaks up behind you and does like rippers do to your grow.
View attachment 344725
BTW: That guy is a sorry-ass shot. Not even one of them taken with the proper head shot. He has messed up a lot of filets.

Yer susposed to do it thisaway:View attachment 344727
View attachment 344728
My nephew has a picture of a huge Tampa Bay Tarpon that he was reeling in when a shark took a big, circular chunk of it belly off of it. Ayup...no spear fishin' fer this Florida Boy!

View attachment 344725

Yer susposed to do it thisaway:View attachment 344727
View attachment 344728

what is your go to recipe for those hog fish?

ahh but the snook is the king of fish in my book...best fighting fish pound for pound and the meat is dilectable...grouper cheeks rock as well, most folks don't know about the cheeks...
I loved fishing for Snook. They are the salt water sport fish to me.
And if cooked right they taste awesome.

Bug Trivia: Lobsters are the largest creatures on earth with a copper-based blood stream. They are really kinda underwater spiders.
I knew there was sumpthin' 'bout 'em that I didn't like.

Both were available on the plate. His aunt told me to take the body if I wanted to there was much more meat on it. I chose the heads because I knew there would probably never be another opportunity to do it where I trusted the source. They were not boiled but fried in oil with no breading. Very crispy and she was right there was not much meat on them. I didn’t suck the eyeballs out like I would the head of a crawdad but I’m sure some do…
I was eating at a Vietnamese restaurant with some Vietnamese/Americans who ordered some kind of fried shrimp. They were gigantic and fried with some kind of salt glaze fried on. Allegedly, the frying process converts the shells into "eddible" crunchy stuff. Great fun was had by all watching bubba peel his giant shrimps. he he he. giant shrimp. They were very large for shrimp.

They also talked about another deal, a "Sea cucumber" which you should ask about before you eat it. Sounds innocent enough right? Nope. Not going to eat it.

I was eating at a Vietnamese restaurant with some Vietnamese/Americans who ordered some kind of fried shrimp. They were gigantic and fried with some kind of salt glaze fried on. Allegedly, the frying process converts the shells into "eddible" crunchy stuff. Great fun was had by all watching bubba peel his giant shrimps. he he he. giant shrimp. They were very large for shrimp.

They also talked about another deal, a "Sea cucumber" which you should ask about before you eat it. Sounds innocent enough right? Nope. Not going to eat it.

Latest posts

Back