The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Lord!! No wonder why the cops did not show up this year for Independence Day.

Lookit the fargin prices per pound!! The cheapest black powder I can find is $35/lb. around here.
I toyed with the idea of making my own. If you do it corned, it's not all that dangerous.

I toyed with the idea of making my own. If you do it corned, it's not all that dangerous.
Really isn't too hard at all.
The deepest hole for me so far has been different woods for the charcoal.
Balsa and willow seem to be the ones according to the interweb.
Balls!
IMG_20231112_092125_3.jpg

Yep, willow is the key. Makes the best charcoal. I've read where they used urine instead of water during the corning process, too. As long as you grind everything separate and then wet the components before mixing, you're safe. Once you push it through the screen and let it dry, then it's time to put the bong down and pay attention to everything you do. Even static electricity will set the stuff off.

Now pyrodex is only $22 A pound so the BP substitutes are way cheaper and have much better ballistics.
Can't make that at home though at least I can't.
The pucking and grinding process seems to be the only dangerous part to me.

Blew a drive belt on my craftsman's garden tractor (piece of crap)
Had to use the new Deere to suck up the leaves today. (wanted to keep it for grass only)
I have to get a new belt and drop the deck soon the leaves are falling like rain still.Got another 12 bags today.
I have two of those pos in the junkpile.
🙃

Egad! 390 for an 8 lbs keg!

Bubba
Makes my cannon an expensive noise-and-fog maker, no error.

Although now that I think onnit... the markup on fireworks is so much that mebbe my cannon ain't out of court after all. It's just that I have rifles and pistols that use BP, and they are not such hogs.

I could fire my 1851 .44 all day and not put much of a dent in a pound can's contents.

Latest posts

Back