The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a serious question that may sound a tad offbeat...

Given that a lot of modern military-style rifles have laser or dot sights, wouldn't an EMP render those battery-powered sights useless? Is this a big hole in the personal weapons of our military in use today?

Given that a lot of modern military-style rifles have laser or dot sights, wouldn't an EMP render those battery-powered sights useless? Is this a big hole in the personal weapons of our military in use today?
Unless the electronics are shielded.

Unless the electronics are shielded.
They cannot be shielded. The whole metal weapon will take the charge. To shield against EMP (we call it TEMPESTING) means to have a very clear path to ground around the item you want shielded.

You are shielding these "things" so that the bazillions of electrons that are suddenly raining down find the easiest path to ground without going through what they would normally go through. So you do the equivalent of putting a collander over your head with one end of a battery jumper cable clipped to it and the other end clipped to a big iron spike in the ground.

The voltage from an EMP (whether sent by Gawd from the Sun or from the Irish) has a number that scares me:

"These 2 MEV gamma rays will normally produce an E1 pulse near ground level at moderately high latitudes that peaks at about 50,000 volts per meter. This is a peak power density of 6.6 megawatts per square meter."

Mankind has been working on another way to kill itself besides germ warfare. There is something called "second generation nuclear weapons" where the explosion is not what is optimized, but the EMP is.

The gummint has sorta admitted that they can get 200,000 volts per meter:

"One consequence of this is that the frequency components in these super-EMP weapons would be much higher, making the problem of shielding and transient protection much more difficult than simply protecting against higher field strengths.

"The references to open literature describing super-EMP weapons outside of the United States can be found in a publication called "The Emerging EMP Threat to the United States" by Dr. Mark Schneider of National Institute for Public Policy (November 2007)"

Bottom line: I'm keeping my iron sights, and will use dots and lasers if I can.

Last edited:
They cannot be shielded. The whole metal weapon will take the charge. To shield against EMP (we call it TEMPESTING) means to have a very clear path to ground around the item you want shielded.

You are shielding these "things" so that the bazillions of electrons that are suddenly raining down find the easiest path to ground without going through what they would normally go through. So you do the equivalent of putting a collander over your head with one end of a battery jumper cable clipped to it and the other end clipped to a big iron spike in the ground.

The voltage from an EMP (whether sent by Gawd from the Sun or from the Irish) has a number that scares me:

These 2 MEV gamma rays will normally produce an E1 pulse near ground level at moderately high latitudes that peaks at about 50,000 volts per meter. This is a peak power density of 6.6 megawatts per square meter.
Why wouldn't a multi-layer Faraday Cage technique work?

PS: I'm keeping my peep sight.

Last edited:

Mine also have iron sites...

"These 2 MEV gamma rays will normally produce an E1 pulse near ground level at moderately high latitudes that peaks at about 50,000 volts per meter. This is a peak power density of 6.6 megawatts per square meter."

Mankind has been working on another way to kill itself besides germ warfare. There is something called "second generation nuclear weapons" where the explosion is not what is optimized, but the EMP is.

"One consequence of this is that the frequency components in these super-EMP weapons would be much higher, making the problem of shielding and transient protection much more difficult than simply protecting against higher field strengths.

"The references to open literature describing super-EMP weapons outside of the United States can be found in a publication called "The Emerging EMP Threat to the United States" by Dr. Mark Schneider of National Institute for Public Policy (November 2007)"

One word. Kryptonite

Mine also have iron sites...
My 300 WM and 50 BMG long range rifles were scoped, but my High Power tournament rifles all had peep sights. I can't shoot a buckhorn sight, because I can't keep the back sight, the front sight, and the target all in focus. With a peep, it is just the front sight and the target.

I was issued a Garand in boot camp in 1961, and consider a battle rifle something that you can butt stroke someone with, block bayonet thrusts, and use it break your fall when diving for cover, yet still hit aim point. None of the optics that I've had were that resilient.

I don't have any "smart" scopes. The only things electrical on a couple of them are the lighted reticles, and I've just never really taken to dot sights, though I have at least one. I'd have to look.

And, like bubba said - I still have iron sights on my rifles. And I AIN'T BLIND YET! lol

Why wouldn't a multi-layer Faraday Cage technique work?

PS: I'm keeping my peep sight.
How can a sojer go around carrying a Faraday Cage?

And just what the heck are they gonna carry that will redirect 24,600,000** volts per square yard? That's a fargin lightning bolt every yard in every direction.

**50,000 volts per meter for the "old fashioned" nukes = 6.6 MILLION watts per square meter, and they've bumped up the EMP to 200,000 volts per meter, so now the energy density is 24.6 MILLION watts per square meter.

On the good side, this only lasts for a small part of a second.

On the bad side, this reduces the average person into a single click in a geiger counter.

On the really bad side, if the sun decides to do it, it may last for hours or days. That will melt civilization.

Last edited:
Who's in charge of doing Birthdays
1699913875982.png

Latest posts

Back