The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Belated best birthday wishes to you there Boo - may there be many more good years
1699957123826.png

I wear mostly work boots and tennis shoes but I have found that different types of boots and shoes can be made differently and sizes can be different.
True story. Different manufacturers use different lasts, but the same manufacturer doesn't for a specific model, so I order that manufacturer and model.

I sold shoes while going to school in Oklahoma and sold shoes here in Portland until I was able to land a job as an NDT inspector in aerospace. What I've observed is that the size standards have changed in the last 50 years or so, ostensibly because the US populations feet are getting wider. A men's medium used to be a Charlie and now it is a David.

Size 9 ever since I was in Jr. High.
I wore a size10 1/2 until just a few years ago. Started having serious foot pain, so I went to an ortho. She measured my foot with one of those professional measuring thingies (Brannock Device) and upped me to a size 13 as a result.
My arches are good, but the foot tends to flatten out and get wider as we age. Now my toes have a little wiggle room in my boots.

Only problem I had was getting both feet into the device at the same time - it has a spot for the left foot, and one for the right foot...with the toes facing each other.

You ever tried to point your feet at each other? Sheesh, it's hard!

Attachments

• $_32.jpg
    $_32.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 0
True story. Different manufacturers use different lasts, but the same manufacturer doesn't for a specific model, so I order that manufacturer and model.

I sold shoes while going to school in Oklahoma and sold shoes here in Portland until I was able to land a job as an NDT inspector in aerospace. What I've observed is that the size standards have changed in the last 50 years or so, ostensibly because the US populations feet are getting wider. A men's medium used to be a Charlie and now it is a David.

I have a serious question that may sound a tad offbeat...

Given that a lot of modern military-style rifles have laser or dot sights, wouldn't an EMP render those battery-powered sights useless? Is this a big hole in the personal weapons of our military in use today?
me thinks no but I will pose that question to the group next month when we meet in Germany for the Snitzel festival.

Not sure if I want Charlie or David touching my feet.

Latest posts

Back