The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the olden days, we humped our own M-14's and ammo, but you had to sandbag them to hit anything with them on full auto, so most of the M-14's issued were missing the selector and our creed was, "one shot, one kill." Let the M-1917's and BAR's handle the full auto glory.

My M1A1 Ultra Match (M-14 semi) was my shooter of choice when using a service rifle in DCM high power competitions. My best position was 200 yard rapid fire (about a round per second) from a setting position, from which could shoot Grand Master scores with it, but unfortunately my standing offhand sucked, so I never won a tournament.

As a civilian I've owned a HK G-3 a FN FAL, both sweet, and an AR-15 SP-1 but they came out with the M-16 after I was discharged and I've never shot one or handled a XM177E2.

I agree that for reliability under extreme conditions versus accuracy, the AK-47 is the weapon of choice. Sort of the Honey Badger of assault rifles.

My AR-15 SP-1 was a tack driver but was easily fouled and didn't have the forward assist that they added later, so was fussy with ammo.

Hard to beat the M-14 for breaking falls when diving for cover and when parrying or delivering butt strokes. You treat her with respect, she will take care of you!
I built my own AR rifles. They run like tops. I generally go through 200-400 rounds of 5.56/.223 ammo, no jams.

I watched a you tube of a full auto run to the death between AK and AR 15. What killed both of them was the barrel glowing red in the chamber area until the barrels actually drooped! The AR ran more rounds, but here's the difference: The AR was toast, could not be fixed by them in the field. with the AK, grabbing it with both hands he smacked it against a tree trunk and actually straightened the barrel enough to get it firing again!

I dont own any AKs, but that was an impressive demonstration of something that just wont give up.

Bubba

I built my own AR rifles. They run like tops. I generally go through 200-400 rounds of 5.56/.223 ammo, no jams.

I watched a you tube of a full auto run to the death between AK and AR 15. What killed both of them was the barrel glowing red in the chamber area until the barrels actually drooped! The AR ran more rounds, but here's the difference: The AR was toast, could not be fixed by them in the field. with the AK, grabbing it with both hands he smacked it against a tree trunk and actually straightened the barrel enough to get it firing again!

I dont own any AKs, but that was an impressive demonstration of something that just wont give up.

Bubba
WOW!! I'da like to have seen that!!

7.62X54R, GW. Guy I was hunting with scolded me for using Russian surplus FMJs. Did a heart/lung shot at 100 yards and watched it drop, got ready for a follow up shot, and watched its eyes glaze over. Never knew what hit it. I don't like critters to suffer. I ain't mad at 'em, I just like to eat 'em. :)

Soft nose ammo makes a bigger difference with lower velocity/energy pistol ammo than a high velocity rifle round. A 7.62 X 54 would still be supersonic and have somewhere around 2500 ft/lbs at 100 yard. The bad thing about soft nose or hollow point rifle ammo, is how much meat it tears up.

I built my own AR rifles. They run like tops. I generally go through 200-400 rounds of 5.56/.223 ammo, no jams. I watched a you tube of a full auto run to the death between AK and AR 15. What killed both of them was the barrel glowing red in the chamber area until the barrels actually drooped! The AR ran more rounds, but here's the difference: The AR was toast, could not be fixed by them in the field. with the AK, grabbing it with both hands he smacked it against a tree trunk and actually straightened the barrel enough to get it firing again! I dont own any AKs, but that was an impressive demonstration of something that just wont give up. Bubba

Yeah, a 5.56mm creates less than heat than a 7.62mm, so has the advantage from a rounds fired stand point but the AR-15 is a precision firearm with good accuracy and the AK-45 is a loose tolerance sheet metal creation that is cheap and designed to be easy to build, foolproof to operate, and so loose tolerance as to be reliable under extreme conditions, but a fire for effect weapon as opposed to an accurate one.

The 1911A1 45's they issued us were also loose tolerance for reliability, but we had to stuff our holster with rags to keep the kalunk, kalunk from giving us away as we walked. I loved shooting them because of the large subsonic round that you could actually hear hit the target after a short delay. Kerpop, kerwhack!

I saw a film of a M-60 melt down. You could actually see the shadow of the bullets traveling through the barrel.

Last edited:
Full auto can be fun if someone else is paying for the ammo and loading the magazines/belts, but my tastes as a civilian rapidly returned to one shot, one bullseye.

I do like machine gun rounds though! While the Browning 50 BMG is an exact scaled up 30:06 round at around the same velocities, and was developed as a Browning M2 heavy machine gun round for knocking out equipment, it makes a delightful 1000 yard plus wind bucking sniper/target round. I was born in 1943, so when I cast my gaze upon SN00043 of Barrett's Model 90 bullpup sniper rifles, the immediate love affair began. She came in a lot of rifles and Benjamins in trade for my "modified" 65 Sunbeam Tiger, which was part of what sealed the deal for me.

I loaded my own rounds using Lake City cases and surplus bullets for practice, and Speers for accuracy. I got some nice tight patterns at 1000 yards and beyond, but the record 1000 yard 50 BMG group at that time was a 4" group using a lathe turned bore rider bullet. It was also out of a rifle weighing over twice what the about 22lb Barrett 90 did and had a longer barrel without a muzzle break.

The Barrett also relied on a bipod, while the McMillian uses a stock exactly parallel to the barrel and sandbags, to reduce muzzle rise on rebound. If I were to compete for extreme accuracy at those ranges, I would use the more traditional McMillian design versus the handy bullpup Barrett 90.

Last edited:
Full auto can be fun if someone else is paying for the ammo and loading the magazines/belts, but my tastes as a civilian rapidly returned to one shot, one bullseye.

I do like machine gun rounds though! While the Browning 50 BMG is an exact scaled up 30:06 round at around the same velocities, and was developed as a Browning M2 heavy machine gun round for knocking out equipment, it makes a delightful 1000 yard plus wind bucking sniper/target round. I was born in 1943, so when I cast my gaze upon SN00043 of Barrett's Model 90 bullpup sniper rifles, the immediate love affair began. She came in a lot of rifles and Benjamins in trade for my "modified" 65 Sunbeam Tiger, which was part of what sealed the deal for me.

I loaded my own rounds using Lake City cases and surplus bullets for practice, and Speers for accuracy. I got some nice patterns at 1000 yards and beyond, but the record 1000 yard 50 BMG group at that time was a 4" group using a lathe turned bore rider bullet. It was also out of a rifle weighing over twice what the about 22lb Barrett 90 did and had a longer barrel without a muzzle break.

The Barrett also relied on a bipod, while the McMillian uses a stock exactly parallel to the barrel and sandbags, to reduce muzzle rise on rebound. If I were to compete for extreme accuracy at those ranges, I would use the more traditional McMillian design versus the handy bullpup Barrett 90.
Have a peek at some youtubes showing long range shooters at 1 mile plus....several seconds before impact!

Most ranges around here are 100 yds, 1 at 300. I need at least 600 yards for my sniper, DMR and SPR workouts. And would love 1000.

Bubba

Yall dont know shit about guns. My Daisy spring loader is a beast.😁

My very first rifle was a long and deeply coveted Daisy Red Rider, which I bought using my savings from my $0.10 per week allowance for household chores. I gave up the $0.10 per week movie with my sisters, so as to save for it.

One of my peak experience days burned forever into my memory, involving not only obtaining the rifle, but having my dad teach me how to aim and shoot. We were shooting at a piece of ceramic plate and each time one of us hit it got smaller. On the last one my sister piped up with, "Why is Jimmy taking so long to aim", to which my father told her to be patient and when I fired, the last fragment of ceramic disintegrated and I could have lived forever.

That reminds me that I still have my tournament double piston .177 target rifle and now that I've had cataract surgery I can see again, so I may set up a 10 meter practice range in the back courtyard. I received the 10 round factory machine rest target for my rifle and at 10 meters the group measures less than .177 inches, because the target closes up slightly after the 10 rounds all passed through the same hole.

Lock time is slower, giving wavering more effect, but I can't blame any misses on the equipment!!

Last edited:
My first gun was a 177 bb and pellet combo pump. Similar to this one. I was 7yrs old.
1616766343727.png

Last edited:
I trashed a kid's birthday Daisy once. I was in the old hood, and I kept hearing my Afghan yep in the back yard. I looked out the kitchen widow just in time to see a rifle barrel pop over the top of my privacy fence and hear the dog yep again.
I snuck out the front door, down the south side of my property, and around the back where the kid and my fence was. The little shit had found a chunk of firewood to stand on so he could take aim at my dog who was minding his own business in my back yard, not bothering a soul. Kid was so intent on his next shot that he never heard me sneaking up on him. I snatched the gun right out of his hands, discharged the BB into the ground, grabbed it by the very end of the barrel, and gave it a firm wrap against the Hickory tree that was close by. Turned it into a boomerang.
Kid started crying about how I'd ruined his birthday present and how he was going home to tell his daddy on me. Fine, make sure you tell him what you were doing and then tell him I'd really LOVE to talk to him.
Hope the little turd learned a valuable lesson.

Check out the video footage and forensic analysis of George Floyd's death behind the rioting and distruction:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/458341529
All he had to do was comply , but if he was choked out to the point of affixation then that knee to the neck restraint needs to be discontinued as far as a training technic . It should only be used when deadly force is justified.

I trashed a kid's birthday Daisy once. I was in the old hood, and I kept hearing my Afghan yep in the back yard. I looked out the kitchen widow just in time to see a rifle barrel pop over the top of my privacy fence and hear the dog yep again.
I snuck out the front door, down the south side of my property, and around the back where the kid and my fence was. The little shit had found a chunk of firewood to stand on so he could take aim at my dog who was minding his own business in my back yard, not bothering a soul. Kid was so intent on his next shot that he never heard me sneaking up on him. I snatched the gun right out of his hands, discharged the BB into the ground, grabbed it by the very end of the barrel, and gave it a firm wrap against the Hickory tree that was close by. Turned it into a boomerang.
Kid started crying about how I'd ruined his birthday present and how he was going home to tell his daddy on me. Fine, make sure you tell him what you were doing and then tell him I'd really LOVE to talk to him.
Hope the little turd learned a valuable lesson.
Shoot my dog and the kid is getting an azz whipping

Latest posts

Back