The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine was a .22 Single Shot JC Higgins. Cost: $11.95 Got it when I was nine years old. My Daddy let me save up for it.

My second was a 22 Stevens Crackshot, which I got for Christmas at age 8, but I wasn't allowed to shoot it until I memorized the Shooter's Bible. (Guess how long that took?)

Can not beat a heavy barreled seated stock Ruger 10-22 I built a really nice piece when I use to shoot everyday.

A 10:22 with 3-9 was one of my most favorite pieces, which I could easily and reliably take out the tacks in the target with it at 10 meters and was a cheap way to practice

I shot prone from a high river bank one afternoon, with no one else around and I placed the crosshairs on around a hundred or so small white pebbles in the dark river bed and squeezed the trigger, so as to make them just disappear like magic. No one else to share the experience with, just me and the rifle, placing the crosshairs where I wanted the hole and experiencing the exhilaration of success.

While we are on the subject, may I pass on some advice to the younger crowd. You WILL get a proctologist with an air far more casual than you are.

But you can get points back for savoir faire by having one or more of these things to say to him as you lay there on your side and he is approaching:

1. Take it easy Doc. You’re boldly going where no man has gone before.

2. Find Amelia Earhart yet?

3. Can you hear me NOW?

4. Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

5. You know, in Arkansas -- we're now legally married.

6. Does this place ever get raided?

7. You put your left hand in, you take your left hand out...

8. Hey! Now I know how a Muppet feels!

9. If your hand doesn't fit, you must quit!

10. Hey Doc, let me know if you find my dignity.

11. What I don't want to feel is both your hands on my shoulders.

12. Could you write a note for my wife saying that my head is not up there?

While we are on the subject, may I pass on some advice to the younger crowd. You WILL get a proctologist with an air far more casual than you are.

But you can get points back for savoir faire by having one or more of these things to say to him as you lay there on your side and he is approaching:

1. Take it easy Doc. You’re boldly going where no man has gone before.

2. Find Amelia Earhart yet?

3. Can you hear me NOW?

4. Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

5. You know, in Arkansas -- we're now legally married.

6. Does this place ever get raided?

7. You put your left hand in, you take your left hand out...

8. Hey! Now I know how a Muppet feels!

9. If your hand doesn't fit, you must quit!

10. Hey Doc, let me know if you find my dignity.

11. What I don't want to feel is both your hands on my shoulders.

12. Could you write a note for my wife saying that my head is not up there?

how long have you been a member of the Sick Bass Turds Club , SBTC?

Went out in the kitchen to grab another Coke. Looked out the window just in time to see the fantastic four deer, and they'd brought two buddies with 'em. No sooner got back to my room when the Old Hen hollered for me to come back. Got a total of 8 out there munching corn now.

Went out to the OH's SUV to grab two more bags of corn. I guess the temptation of my bare leg was too much temptation for one of the geese. Yep, she got me. I ain't bleedin', but I did yelp a bit. She got a helicopter tour of the front yard. Only pitched her a few yards. The poor things are mean and horny this time of year. They'll calm down in another month or two.

Went out in the kitchen to grab another Coke. Looked out the window just in time to see the fantastic four deer, and they'd brought two buddies with 'em. No sooner got back to my room when the Old Hen hollered for me to come back. Got a total of 8 out there munching corn now.

Went out to the OH's SUV to grab two more bags of corn. I guess the temptation of my bare leg was too much temptation for one of the geese. Yep, she got me. I ain't bleedin', but I did yelp a bit. She got a helicopter tour of the front yard. Only pitched her a few yards. The poor things are mean and horny this time of year. They'll calm down in another month or two.
What night

What nightmares are made of
da15382875bea87ff2ee15bb7bd5e98e.gif

Matched rifle ammo or pistol rds? I had a dillion progressive and I could crank quite a few rds myself , never counted them daily

I used a Dillion progressive on my pistol calibers, and a MEC progressive for shotgun, but loaded my rifle rounds one at a time. With a pistol, my worst round is more accurate than me holding the pistol.

My rifle tournament rounds got trimmed to length, necks turned for thickness, flash holes drilled uniform, primer pockets reamed, bench rest primer inserted, and sorted by weight. I threw the powder short and then dribbled to precise weight before loading in the cases and seating match grade bullets sorted by weight.

I was still the least accurate member of the assembly, but at least I had nothing else to blame it on, so could focus on my own performance.

I think my Brother Yoop was talkin' about feeding the M60s in a Huey.

Considering that 2000 rounds is about three minutes on time for a M-60, I'll bet he was busy when coming into a hot zone. Probably good at switching barrels on the fly as well.

Latest posts

Back