The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Night gang . Just turned 68......and found out I`m at end stage copd . So in a few months , maybe a year I`ll be disappearing . But I`ve seen it coming since my diagnosis 14 years ago . Justa` matter of time . So if ya` see less of me on here , you`ll know why . I`m ready....say my prayers nightly and ain`t skeered of dieing .
Just wish I was in a lil` better physical shape to enjoy these last months . So I`ll keep fightin` my fight . Y`all keep fighting for the weed !!
peace

Burnie that sucks Im so sorry
burm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning OFC. Another Pleasant Valley Sunday. I will be doing a dry trim on a Key Like Pie this morning. I hope to get outside and get some sun later.... supposed to get near 70f today. I didn't get to the mower yesterday so I might tinker with it.

Got my gov't hand out yesterday and will use it to buy more silver tomorrow. Right at $25/oz right now so will get 5 lbs of half dollars. I stopped by the coin store yesterday to see what they had in stock and the place was like a zoo. Busing is good for some and coin and gun stores are going crazy.

Last edited:
Morning OFC. Another Pleasant Valley Sunday. I will be doing a dry trim on a Key Like Pie this morning. I hope to get outside and get some sun later.... supposed to get near 70f today. I didn't get to the mower yesterday so I might tinker with it.

Got my gov't hand out yesterday and will use it to buy more silver tomorrow. Right at $25/lb right now so will get 5 lbs of half dollars. I stopped by the coin store yesterday to see what they had in stock and the place was like a zoo. Busing is good for some and coin and gun stores are going crazy.
$25/oz right now so will get 5 lbs of half dollars.
Pute how many halfs are in a pound , I would guess most coins are worthless except for silver value
I use to get 23 dollars a silver dollar, are you buying Kennedy Half dollars (not fully silver from what I remember)?

Last edited by a moderator:
$25/lb right now so will get 5 lbs of half dollars.
Pute how many halfs are in a pound , I would guess most coins are worthless except for silver value
I use to get 23 dollars a silver dollar, are you buying Kennedy Half dollars (not fully silver from what I remember)?
Junk silver is pure silver and off the top of my head I have no idea how many are in a lb. They put it on a scale and weigh it. They will buy it back at spot any time.

Spot is $25.15 right now. I just checked.

How Much is a 1964 Half Dollar Worth?
All US silver coins struck in 1964 or earlier were minted with 90% silver and 10% copper. Please note: the copper content of these rare coins is excluded from any calculation of pricing. Only the silver content is valued!

I remember most US silver coins are not pure .999% silver

I suppose you can over think it to the point of scaring yourself into not doing anything. So what should you invest in....stocks....not me especially not now. I see stocks taking major dive... So, do nothing???? Inflation has been running at around 3% a year. Plain and simple after 10 years your $$$ has lost 30% of it's value.

Either you work for your money or your money works for you.

Junk silver is pure silver and off the top of my head I have no idea how many are in a lb. They put it on a scale and weigh it. They will buy it back at spot any time.

Spot is $25.15 right now. I just checked.
OOP. I see the 90/10 correction has been made.

Actually, junk silver is only US minted coins.

Also, there never has been a denomination of US currency coin minted that is pure silver (too soft).

Each silver dime weighs 2.5 grams or 0.088 troy ounces. So, the pure silver content in US 90% silver dimes comes out to 0.0723 troy ounces per coin. (.9 X .088)

There are 31 grams in 1 troy ounce. And I sure wish I could buy junk silver by the POUND for $25.00. If you can get it... I will pay you $50 a pound for it.

Thanks Walt. Roster had me over my head. I need to correct myself it is 25/oz not Lb. an lb would be approximately $400/lb.

@ patwi, the only problem with silver is it is so bulky. I do both gold and silver to diversify a bit. I still think real estate is a good investment as well. Stock market scares me right now....I think it is gonna go BOOM. What goes up will come down and it has a long way to drop if things get bad....did you just hear there is another 2 trillion dollar stimulus package being pushed currently......did somebody ever think to mention NATIONAL DEBT? The interest alone on our debt it 1/3 of our annual GNP.

Last edited:
I have always gone about 50-50 Au/Ag. That way I have all the benefits of both types. And if you look back over the last 40 years (GAWD!! It's been that long??) having a 50-50 mix turned out to be the best method in the long term.

My first Krugerrand cost me $198 including vigorish.

But numismatics are TERRIBLE. At the NY World's Fair, I bought a US Proof Set. The "dollar" value has remained nearly the same, while the value of the dollar has dropped to zilcho.

That means when I spent $10 in 1964, that was the equivalent of $85 today. You can buy them on eBay right now for $25. Which means I LOST $60 fargin bucks in purchasing power, and I still have it more than a half-century later. SUX.

Latest posts

Back