The science of PH

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The soil ecosystem is tremendously varied - more-so than many above-ground plant and animal food webs. Each species has slightly different requirements. Aerobic microbes require oxygen. Anaerobes require the absence of oxygen. Some prefer either a high or a low pH, or high or low moisture. Many organisms can digest simple sugars, while only a few species have the enzymes to digest lignin, a major component of woody tissue.

At the microscopic level, soil conditions can change drastically from one point to the next, so a variety of organisms may be present in a single soil sample. Aerobes may live near anaerobes. Organisms requiring high pH may live near those preferring low pH.

Microbes differ greatly in how they get their energy. Most soil organisms are heterotrophs that get their energy and carbon from breaking down organic compounds. In contrast, the autotrophs use inorganic carbon (carbon dioxide). There are two groups of autotrophs. Phototrophs, such as plants and a few soil organisms, get their energy from light. Chemotrophs are a small, but important, group of soil bacteria that get their energy from oxidizing inorganic compounds including ammonium, nitrite, and sulfur compounds.

Macro-organisms, such as mites, beetles, and earthworms, are also tremendously varied in what they eat, their life cycle, and what agricultural conditions they will or will not tolerate. Each plays a different role in eating and breaking down plant residue and their fellow soil organisms.

Is the the link your referring to DF? - it's a solid source to share with everyone - nice find!

hXXp://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/cropsystems/components/7403_02.html

jmansweed said:
Is the the link your referring to DF? - it's a solid source to share with everyone - nice find!

hXXp://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/cropsystems/components/7403_02.html

Yes sir it is
you know when we get into micro biology, ph its a complete world of there own and very tricky as one microbe dwells better then others in different ranges , its to find the happy medium where plants strive
i have been reading indepth in all area's of plant and marine biology as i am just firing up a 200 gallon live corral reef ( Salt water ) Tank

It is fascinating stuff DF! I feel your obsession, I'm an Aquaponic farmer myself (freshwater) but the science still applies. The path I followed that led me to a solid understanding of microbial life and it's interactions was studying evolution - or rather abiogenesis. How these life forms developed dictates how they operate and more importantly why.

I recently made the leap to %100 organic and water with RO water and if you do you can throw your Ph meter away. I havent checked my Ph for the last few grows and my plants look healthy as they can be. I'm with Rosebud...go %100 organic and you can factor out keeping up with Ph altogether.

All I use is bat guano, myco, trichoderma, a probiotic potash supp and Neptunes Harvest. Thats it.

Great info peeps.....hopefully I can make the switch to all Organic in the Fall of 2013.

Great discussion Guys :) Just as a side note as to the reason for starting this thread; I recognise the importance of maintaining PH in a "synthetic" grow and want to do as much as possible to optimize my growing conditions, and create(synthetically) as accurate a set of conditions as an organic grow.

I am understanding now that in organic growing, PH is not a means to an end but rather a reflection of the activity of the microbial life and the symbiotic relationship it has with the plants' roots. That is to say that PH is not controlling the chemical activity that maintains the flow of nutrients to the plants, the microbes are in control of this activity and the PH is a result.

For me being in a "synthetic"/hydro setup, understanding the activities and functions of the microbes is key to my being able to better control the rhyzosphere of my plants, which will in turn maintain the health of my plants. For those who enjoy growing organically, it may seem illogical why someone would want to go to all the work of maintaining the rootzone of the plants when you can allow mother nature to do it better.

For me, that is the challenge that I like; to achieve the level of control that the microbes in organics have over the feeding of the plants, rather than just dumping in chemicals and hoping the plants grow. By understanding the chemical and mechanical(and even electrical) processes that occur within the rhyzosphere between plant and microbe, I hope to be able to emmulate the activity of the organic grow on a synthetic level.

No I'm really not stoned right now :D Just high on a different kind of chemistry :)

Hey my peeps; I have been talking to other growers who have had successful grows, and all of them experience yellowing off toward the end of the cycles. My Bro has his end up looking like scarecrows by the harvest.

For me, nearly all of my grows are as green at the harvest as they are during veg. The only plants that have had yellowing off at the end were the plants done in total organic. I have to wonder if I am making a mistake by not allowing them to yellow off toward the end. I don't do anything radical to make them different. I run them until I get close to 100% cloudy trichs and at least some amber trichs. The only thing I do different is I continually feed through my solution in hydro, but I cut off the nutes and allow them to use up everything within about the last 10-14 days and only add straight water.

here are some pics of my latest plants for comparrison. In a couple pics you can see the one plant has some significant yellowing. That is the one plant that was grown in organic and it is within a week of harvest when pic was taken. That one Plant produced 8oz(dry weight)of bud :)

Anyone here think that I should be allowing them to yellow off? why?

Pchk1-04.JPG

Pchk1-11.JPG

larrybbp12-22.JPG

Larrybbp12-27a.JPG

Latest posts

Back