the stem split...what now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenthumberish

Mexican...or Mexicant!
Reaction score
I don't reckon that it'll die entirely, but the stem snapped not in half, but the long way, about 1.5 inches.....7 inches from the top of the plant, as i was tying it down, argh! reckon it'll die? or just be super stressed..i propped it back up so that the split closes itself,but man...does that worry me!

Actually duct tape does work... I came home from a va-kay and left a family member to move my lights up for me. I came home to what once was a foot and half tall plant that had a 90 degree angle formed in the middle of it with duct tape all around the bend. I get the story, appearently a light had fell and split it. good news was it lived!! SOB was 90* to the left no kiddin- two days later looked like a tetris piece (the z piece but vert) But it turned male during flower (who could have guessed?)
There is more appropriate tree tape that will do the same job. You didn't kill it (hopefully), you just exposed it a bit to infection... Good luck, and be gentle...

ArtVandolay said:
Tie it back together with some light twine/string.

I used one of those twist ties for bags at the grocery store when this happened to me, your plant may be bigger though. Worked perf.

Good luck!

Well, as it stands today, the plant had needed to be watered anyway, so I propped the top cola back up, so the wound closed itself...then watered it liberally. It's perky, and green, and healthy! no duct tape though....i'd be worried it'd mess with the plant if the stock tried to get bigger. the part that popped open is about a quarter width, and the base of the plant is more like a silver dollar width ;) Thanks for the advice everyone! I appreciate it. If y'all want i can post pics ;) Since i figured out how to do that lol...

phatpharmer said:
When I break a plant I just tape with duck tape and within a week its totally healed! I've done this many times with no harmful effects!

Phatpharmer
HAAHHA. How many plants have you split?
plenty of duct tape on hand huh? lol
you can also invest in Arborers tape. they use it when merging 2 plants together..hhmmmm i want to try this with weed now. big root mas and a 3 week vegged plant.. wonder if it would work on MJ like it does on trees..
this guy did it with his fruit tree. grows 12 different ypes of fruit on one tree. from grapefruit to apples.
i live in Idaho so i tell outta states that we have large feilds of potato trees.. its funny cause they dont question it...!

:doh: City you busted my bubble. I order two potatoe trees.

:watchplant: :farm: Use the sponge wrap(ussually yellow) use under tape for sprain ankle or wrist. wrap break firmly but not to tight. Then wrap a little black tape to hold in place. If heavy foliage above break, support it. Talk sweetly to ladies and they will grow and return the love.:heart:

Duct tape here too. The duct tape will come apart as the plant grows.

Latest posts

Back