Thinking of Another Flowering Space

• Thread starter The Hemp Goddess
  • Start date
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

The Hemp Goddess

I have been kicking this around for a bit and would like some input...

As many of you know, I live in the mountains and get cold and snow in winter. I always have to add auxillary heat in my flowering room during lights out. I have been thinking of running another flowering space with the lights running opposite each other so one room could heat the other. This new room would be about 12 sq ft with a single 600W and the lights would run at night. I would like to run the exhaust from one room to the other to heat it during lights out. The rooms would not be adjacent to one another and I would have to run about 20' of ducting. I would use the heavy duty insulated ducting like the HVAC guys use and run it through the crawl space. One of my questions is whether I would need 2 ducting runs? Or could I have both fans connected to the same ducting? This would require pushing air backward through the fan that was not running--didn't know if you could do this?

This is in the planning stage. Any suggestions or ideas?

You could do that. However, I don't know if the centrifical fans would run backwards efficiently. They would run backwards when not powered but the way they are mechanically configured might keep them from moving air freely. One possibility wouild be to put a galvanized T at each end and rig up an electromechanical door on each one.

This would allow you to activate(open) the door on the opposite end of the working fan and bypass the non-running fan. Then on the timer control they can switch ends, closing the one door and opening the other.

Another thought.... I have never opened up a centrifical fan and looked at the inner workings, but its possible that they can be run in reverse. With a little rewiring you could set one up to be activated in either direction. My other method would have to have 2 fans and 2 Ts with 2 electronic doors.

some fans have the armature and the field wiring separate, and some have permenant magnets. All of these can be made to run in reverse by changing the direction or either the field current or the armature current.

Build it and they will grow

take care and be safe

Good idea about one room heating the other. Same problem here and running the lights would more than likely be cheaper than the heating costs.

But, I would make 2 ducting runs and K.I.S.S.

The less complicated, the less that can malfunction and screw up.

Wet

Wetdog said:
Good idea about one room heating the other. Same problem here and running the lights would more than likely be cheaper than the heating costs.

But, I would make 2 ducting runs and K.I.S.S.

The less complicated, the less that can malfunction and screw up.

Wet

I agree--I also like to keep things as simple as possible--the more mechanical things you have, the more chance for product failure. If air will not move freely backwards through the Vortex, I will just make 2 ducting runs.

Thanks all!

I'm just thinking here. It might be worthwhile to get some (cheap) ducting to check out your fan first. 20' sure seems like a long run, even for a Vortex.

Wet

I 2 would do 2 duct runs. Duct isnt that expensive. Also remember to turn off the intake to the room that is being warmed or atleast reduce the intake as to keep your room running with a slight negative pressure, unless you like your house permiating with the sweet smell of sensimilla. On the flip side (room venting air) turn down the exhaust fan just to keep the pressure in check.
I'm assuming you are using a full time intake and exhaust.
Another thing you could do to battle the cold is to run a small co2 gen...

I have no active intakes on any of my rooms. The ducting I use in my rooms is fairly expensive or I wouldn't be looking at trying to make one duct run. I have almost 20' of ducting on my original room and the vortex has no problem. It generally isn't longer runs, but bends that slow down the air that causes problems.

Thanks for the CO2 gen idea, but I really don't want to run CO2 and I will have 2 rooms.

sounds like you May need the two ducts Girl...Bit the bullet and spend the $$$$..I know you will do a great Job at this,and cant wait to see it full of Dank:D

take care and be safe
:48:

Yeah, I will spend and do whatever I need to do to do this right. This is a 2 x 6 closet space that the closet header has been removed to the ceiling. The plan is to build a wall over the entire opening and then cut in some stealthy doors. I am looking at a 600W in a cooltube with a 6" Vortex fan for this space. I hope to keep costs under $500. Construction costs will be minimal as I believe that I can get most of the materials for free or next to nothing.

FR2 005-1.jpg

As long as the timing is correct, you should have no issues running 1 duct w/ 2 fans on each end. I have seen Vortex blowers run both ways.
Another cost saving THG might be a flip box for your existing ballests. That way you would not have to buy another ballest.
hXXp://www.powerboxinc.com/flipbox.html

NorCalHal said:
As long as the timing is correct, you should have no issues running 1 duct w/ 2 fans on each end. I have seen Vortex blowers run both ways.
Another cost saving THG might be a flip box for your existing ballests. That way you would not have to buy another ballest.
hXXp://www.powerboxinc.com/flipbox.html

Hi Hal, thanks for stopping in. I don't think I will have any trouble with timing the fans. One ducting run is just a lot easier for me. I have heard about flip boxes, but never had reason to need one before now. I will check out the link. I'm thinking that I will, in essence, be able to run the new smaller room almost "free".

Roddy said:
Explain this "free" comment please.....
I think she means since she will not have to heat the rooms, that the 600 watt light, will be cheaper than running a heater in the room, when the lights are out.

HomieHogleg
P.S. This was how I rationalized adding another 600 watts to my flowering room, as I would exhaust into my bedroom, instead of running a space heater. :D

Roddy said:
Explain this "free" comment please.....

Homie pretty much nailed it. If I can heat each flowering room with the other, I can turn off that little 500-1500W ceramic heater and actually use less electricity than I did having only 1 room.

Latest posts

Back